Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Maintenance of new TT

Hello!

We purchased our first TT last month. I know there are normal, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, and yearly upkeep for us to do...

Are there any good guides, books, websites, logs, ect... That you would recommend to make sure we keep our new baby looking pretty and working well?

Thanks!

2017 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Nights Camped 2017 "3"
RVBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

The Owners manual has the basic care and maintenance if you haven't checked it.

Below is link to the online version one for TT's:
Forest River RV Online Owners Manuals

Here is the link to the PDF Download for TT's:
http://idn.tweddle.com/bundle/showIt...S&itemtype=PDF

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

Thanks RS....I will look them up! I know you can read just about anything on the internet, and watch anything on YouTube, but I want to make sure I read the right information!
Nights Camped 2017 "3"
RVBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

BUZZ-- here's an even better place to visit to find a great listing of articles, books and written info on being a new RV owner. The first 2 items I mentioned are more related to CAMPING, and not RV'ing as I had originally thought.
Keep asking questions thought as there is a wide wealth of knowledge here and lots of experienced folks that are very willing to assist you.

New RVer
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

HERE are some of the things I did while parked in the driveway...

while it is still brand new, look over the entire outside at all seams, windows, vents on roof... have a tube of caulk and go over any/all spots that may have been missed or lightly applied...

I installed some fiberglass screen inside the vent holes for water heater and fridge access panels and used caulk to glue it down to prevent insects from getting in.

I crawled under and sprayed a number of cans of rubberized undercoating on the painted metal to give it a little extra protection.

While under there, I also tied up hoses and wires that were hanging down lest they catch on some road debris... I used wire loom I got in three different sizes and nylon cable ties from Harbor Freight to put around exposed wiring to the brakes from the front hitch/battery area to further protect those small wires...

I took out all of the false panels I found in all of the storage compartments that hid wires and such... I used nylon ties to tidy up the wiring and either re-positioned the partitions or eliminated them to give me a bit more room, and while in there cleaned all the debris I found left over from the construction process.

then you can read these forums and think of mods...

have fun!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #6

I have had 2 trailers from 1997 to 2004 then 2004, bought a motorhome. Last year, I sold my MH and bought a trailer. They sure don't make the trailers like they did back 10 years ago. The previous TT that I had were made so much better. NO problems with having repaint chassis and LP lines and re-caulk poor factory job. Now, just a lot of little things like replacing screws.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuzz View Post
Hello!

We purchased our first TT last month. I know there are normal, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, and yearly upkeep for us to do...

Are there any good guides, books, websites, logs, ect... That you would recommend to make sure we keep our new baby looking pretty and working well?

Thanks!

2017 Wildwood 31KQBTS
All the suggestions here are top notch. As older folks we are not able to do some of the preventative maintenance so every year we take our trailer to a local RV shop and have them do it. We especially have them check the roof and coat or make any repairs necessary. It's much cheaper to prevent problems than try to fix them after the fact.

Try to find a local "mom and pop" RV repair place to do this instead of a "big box" dealer. Most folks discover that the BIG dealers (like Camping World) will keep your RV for weeks or months and even then not to the proper work.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #8

Mom and Pop RV Dealer and Service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
All the suggestions here are top notch. As older folks we are not able to do some of the preventative maintenance so every year we take our trailer to a local RV shop and have them do it. We especially have them check the roof and coat or make any repairs necessary. It's much cheaper to prevent problems than try to fix them after the fact.

Try to find a local "mom and pop" RV repair place to do this instead of a "big box" dealer. Most folks discover that the BIG dealers (like Camping World) will keep your RV for weeks or months and even then not to the proper work.
Yes, I agree with the Mom and Pop Dealer and Service! We bought our 1st TT last month and while shopping around with the Big Dealers First, we made one last stop at a Mom and Pop RV Dealer and Service. They treated us the best and did everything they could for us, I felt much better about our purchsed there then the Big Dealers.They told me I can call them for anytime if I have any problems, which I have for info on certain things.
Since our TT is new and under warrenty there where deck lights on front I wanted replaced because the crome on around the LED light was all peeling off.
They said they would have to order 2 new led lights for it because the it is one whole thing. They ordered the part, had it in a week, took my TT there and got my TT back in 6 days counting the weekends.

Serveyor by Forest River 294QBLE
zzzroc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 AM   #9

On that "fibreglass screening"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
HERE are some of the things I did while parked in the driveway...

while it is still brand new, look over the entire outside at all seams, windows, vents on roof... have a tube of caulk and go over any/all spots that may have been missed or lightly applied...

I installed some fiberglass screen inside the vent holes for water heater and fridge access panels and used caulk to glue it down to prevent insects from getting in.

I crawled under and sprayed a number of cans of rubberized undercoating on the painted metal to give it a little extra protection.

While under there, I also tied up hoses and wires that were hanging down lest they catch on some road debris... I used wire loom I got in three different sizes and nylon cable ties from Harbor Freight to put around exposed wiring to the brakes from the front hitch/battery area to further protect those small wires...

I took out all of the false panels I found in all of the storage compartments that hid wires and such... I used nylon ties to tidy up the wiring and either re-positioned the partitions or eliminated them to give me a bit more room, and while in there cleaned all the debris I found left over from the construction process.

then you can read these forums and think of mods...

have fun!
I would be afraid that on the water heater vents it would melt

I did the same thing, but used metal screening from an old fireplace screen

Jack L
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance