Old 07-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #1

Making sense of model names

It seems like all the RV manufacturers have a plethora of brand models within a type-category and I have yet to find any comparison offered by them as to their intended market niche, such as entry level vs. light weight vs. luxury vs. full time. And the names, like Cedar Creek, Coachmen, Cardinal, River Stone do nothing to help consumers know the real differences between them. Anybody else find it bewildering to make real comparisons within a manufacturer’s brands, let alone between various manufacturers????

docswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

NO! I do not judge an RV by the model names. What I have done mainly at an RV shows is check out the features of the RV's. Such as frame thickness, wall thickness and how it is manufactured, suspension system and what is standard on the entry price point of the RV's. Since most manufactures use the same manufactures of components for their RV's such as Dometic, CareFree of Colorado, NorCold, Coleman, Suburban and Lippert to name some third-party builders of RV components. These all have their own warranties and issues so, to me that is not the manufacture of the RV reliability issues.

Then build a spread sheet showing what each model had that I was interested in and the cost of said units. I will than compare features and components to purchase price plus online reviews of the units I am interested in. This takes work and time but in the end I am happy with my purchase of said RV.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm not sure from a business sense, ANY manufacturer would want to pigeon hole themselves into suggesting one of their brands is not intended for a certain niche.

That onus is on the consumer.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Lacey's Spring, AL

thats like trying to determine why GM makes a 'Chevrolet' truck, a 'GMC' truck, and even a 'Cadillac' truck(the 'ol EXT)...though, with some exception, all pretty much the same, and more than likely built in the same factory, down the same line, by the same folks... the bird that plasters the 'brand' decal at the end gets the final say!

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
100,000+mi since '14, US, Alaska, Canada, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docswisher View Post
And the names, like Cedar Creek, Coachmen, Cardinal, River Stone do nothing to help consumers know the real differences between them.
That is because the parent company bought all these individual brands and left them to operate with their original names. Same thing happened in the late 80's with boat manufacturers.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
It seems like all the RV manufacturers have a plethora of brand models within a type-category and I have yet to find any comparison offered by them as to their intended market niche, such as entry level vs. light weight vs. luxury vs. full time. And the names, like Cedar Creek, Coachmen, Cardinal, River Stone do nothing to help consumers know the real differences between them. Anybody else find it bewildering to make real comparisons within a manufacturer’s brands, let alone between various manufacturers????

???

Do Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, or Chrysler do anything to to help anyone know the differences???

What would you suggest???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Neither do the mere names "Pontiac", "Chevrolet", "Cadillac", "Buick", etc., say in and of themselves whether a vehicle is good for racing, cruising, stump pulling, economy of operation, resale, etc., unless the consumer already knows about them or is willing to do research.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 74; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not sure from a business sense, ANY manufacturer would want to pigeon hole themselves into suggesting one of their brands is not intended for a certain niche.

That onus is on the consumer.
+1
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #9

...all good points, however, I know that within GM, their intention, overall, is to make the Chevy an “entry” brand, a Cadillac a “luxury” brand, and Buick somewhere in between. Do RV manufacturers not do the same?
docswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Ah....so you're not actually discussing the actual names......you're wanting to know the relative heirarchy of quality, it seems.

There isn't one. Some of the lowest cost trailers have a lot of followers. And some high end have a lot of detractors. Yet, the opposite is often true for BOTH.

And even if I had an opinion of what is good, better, best, (and I do) I'd not want to publish it here.....all that'd do is make me sound like an Elitist and would upset someone.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote