Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist
Mark Trail on "Frostbite and Hypothermia"

When I was too young to know how to read I loved to look at the pictures in the Mark Trail comic strips (way back when he smoked a pipe). On Sundays my father would read the funnies to me. Mark Trail was always interesting.

Here's some valuable information about frostbite and hypothermia. I did not know incorrectly warming a hypothermia victim could induce heart failure.

Hopefully the image is not so compressed as to be illegible. This makes a good hand out at ARES, EmComm, Scouts and all that. May come in handy when the temps get back into the single digits again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marktrail_frostbite_1200.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	44763  

Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Good post with good information.

I always enjoyed Mark Trail in the Atlanta Constitution. Growing up in Middle Georgia, his adventures in the north were a window into a totally different world. It was probably one of many influences that gave me such a drive to see all of this country that I can.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
You have a great idea of bringing this topic up but I would look up treatment of hypothermia and frostbite from WebMD or another trusted medical sight before I would trust comic book advice. There are varying degrees of hypothermia and frostbite and treatment is slightly different for each one and is too lengthy to put as a reply. One important thing to remember is if someone is pulled from icy waters and appears dead, start CPR and don't stop until medics arrive. The axiom is they are not dead until they are warm and dead.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
There are varying degrees of hypothermia and frostbite and treatment is slightly different for each one and is too lengthy to put as a reply.
May I add that treatment protocols are subject to change as more information and proceures become available. Think back to your youth (my Boy Scout days) and the recommended treatment of rubbing snow on the extremities. And don't even start with snakebite first aid. I still have my kit with the razor blade for cutting Xs on the bite wounsd.

Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote