Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #1

Mice!!

I'm having a real problem with mice getting in our camper this year! I have the electronic Humming thing, I have tried several things the hardware store suggested with no luck. I have the stickie traps in the camper and I have caught some, but I want them OUT for good. I have used the foam filler around all opening, I stuffed steel wool in gaps where I can't use the foam, nothing seems to be working!! It's getting old vacuming,cleaning and disenfecting weekly. Any suggestion, HELP PLEASE!!
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
hoovercab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The only way that mice can get into a camper from the ground is at the tires or tongue jack. Try using an old coffee can with a small opening in the lid, set on top of your dual wheels (both sides) with the opening with the lid facing the back. In the coffee can, put a D-Con box. The opening in back will kpee the rain out, and hopefully this method will keep pets out of harms way. The idea is offer them something good (and deadly) before they get in your camper.

As far as the tongue jack, see if you can rig up a squirrel bird feeder baffle around that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #3

mtnguy had the sure fire way.

on one of the forums i read that they use vanilla oil. they didn't know if that is what worked but the trailer had a good smell and the mice were gone.

i have tried those ultra sonic pest pellers without success at home.

a month ago, i had evidence of them in my trailer and put out the bait. it took care of them.
i've been told that Dcon gets hard when they drink water. they should leave the house to drink and die there instead of in the trailer. years ago, i had a couple that didn't read the label and died in the wall.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovercab View Post
I'm having a real problem with mice getting in our camper this year! I have the electronic Humming thing, I have tried several things the hardware store suggested with no luck. I have the stickie traps in the camper and I have caught some, but I want them OUT for good. I have used the foam filler around all opening, I stuffed steel wool in gaps where I can't use the foam, nothing seems to be working!! It's getting old vacuming,cleaning and disenfecting weekly. Any suggestion, HELP PLEASE!!
Here's what I did.
Go to the hardware store and get a bucket of the bait blocks.
they are about 2 1/2 inches long and 1" square with a hole down the center.
Take some zip ties and mount them on the axle,hitch,jack and bumper.
Then on the inside of the trailer zip tie them to plumbing pipes or anywhere close to evidence of mice.

I had them in an older trailer and they were all gone in about 2 weeks.
they are made by tomcat. And called 1 oz ultra bait blocks.

My only other suggestion is keep them placed where your dogs cannot get to them and you'll be fine.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Villa Estate 392FLFB

MINT!! mice and rodents HATE MINT!! they are trying to sell it at a "local" rv dealership with a spray gun to do underside of vehicle and the ground. guess it drives them crazy or something. they tried to quote me 100$/jug and $50 for the sprayer (old style kind). bet you could just get some mint extract and water it down and use a hand sprayer and do the wheels and jacks.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

Smile Mint does the job!

We used Mint the 1st year in our new TT. It worked magic. One sign of the critter that tried to get in, but left. It's a campers dream that it works. I used peppermint oil on cotton balls and put them in bowls near every opening we knew of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
MINT!! mice and rodents HATE MINT!! they are trying to sell it at a "local" rv dealership with a spray gun to do underside of vehicle and the ground. guess it drives them crazy or something. they tried to quote me 100$/jug and $50 for the sprayer (old style kind). bet you could just get some mint extract and water it down and use a hand sprayer and do the wheels and jacks.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #7

Thank you everyone, I and going to try them all and hopefully we can get rid of them. Went to the camper this morning and found 2 more mice in sticky traps!! YUCK
Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #8

Interesting article. Let us know if the MINT solution worked for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
mtnguy had the sure fire way.

on one of the forums i read that they use vanilla oil. they didn't know if that is what worked but the trailer had a good smell and the mice were gone.

i have tried those ultra sonic pest pellers without success at home.

a month ago, i had evidence of them in my trailer and put out the bait. it took care of them.
i've been told that Dcon gets hard when they drink water. they should leave the house to drink and die there instead of in the trailer. years ago, i had a couple that didn't read the label and died in the wall.
i have to correct this, after reading the_stuff's post. it was peppermint oil. remembered going to the box store and asking for it and got a blank stare. look in the spice section.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB

when i get my skirting and get it installed im going to open up the parts and spray that under the TT
Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
The Old Man

I will add (slightly off-topic) that moth balls definitely keep the wasps and hornets away. I put some in the outside vent of the frig and hung some under the cover of the propane tanks and no more hornets!

I wonder if that would work for mice too? I had really bad mice infestation this summer.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #12

Is there a bird feeder close to your TT? We use to have a problem with mice when one of the campers near us had a bird feeder. The seeds on the ground attracted the mice to the area. Since the feeder is gone we have not had a problem with mice. Have heard that moth balls around the TT will keep mice away. Do not know if it works or only a urban myth.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #13

bounce sheets
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
I will add (slightly off-topic) that moth balls definitely keep the wasps and hornets away. I put some in the outside vent of the frig and hung some under the cover of the propane tanks and no more hornets!

I wonder if that would work for mice too? I had really bad mice infestation this summer.

good to know. i've almost been stung several times. wasp love those places and some i didn't expect.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #15

I hear this one and tried, no luck they still in around and shreadded the bounce sheets for their nest. I was told to only us this brand.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraider View Post
bounce sheets
myth. ive seen nests made of the stuff.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #17

Bird Feeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Is there a bird feeder close to your TT? We use to have a problem with mice when one of the campers near us had a bird feeder. The seeds on the ground attracted the mice to the area. Since the feeder is gone we have not had a problem with mice. Have heard that moth balls around the TT will keep mice away. Do not know if it works or only a urban myth.

No, no bird feeders. Just 2 beagles who do catch them from time to time.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #18

Thumbs down Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraider View Post
bounce sheets

Sorry did not work, they used it to a build nest, and yes I did use bounce orignal scent. Someone had given me this one. thank you for the advice I will try anything to get rid of them.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #19

Wintergreen oil also works! Just put some on a cottonball! ( make sure you put the cottonball on a pc of foil or something like that, because that stuff will eat through plastic, so no telling what else it will eat through!!). Good Luck!
Oubie Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
RV Newbie

I found an opening I bet most people have overlooked. The outside refrig vents. If you look up at the outer plastic panel there are several rows with dozens of mice size openings. My fix was to hot glue pieces of course plastic filter fabric, similar to a pond filter over the inside of the holes. Takes a little time and calculations to make it work because it had to be folded. Have not seen a mouse in the house since.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote