Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

Mice and I am at my wit's end with this

We have a Rockwood 2604 2012 and this will be our 2nd winter with it. We got it late last fall and in the spring of this year when we went to open it we discovered mice. We spent 3 days blocking every crack and opening that we could find with the yellow foam stuff and steel wool. It was okay for most of the summer but I checked it today and they are back. It is clean and there is no food left in it. We have tried Bounce, balsam balm, traps, and peppermint oil. Dealer says it is because we live in the country but so do a lot of other people and none of our friends have them this often. Is there a certain spot that we could be missing that we did not seal?
linlas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

I have given up on preventing mice from entering. I use traps - one on the inside on the countertop and one between each side's tandem tires on the ground. Shop ORTHO HD Max 2 count Mouse Trap at Lowes.com
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Arn
Arn

I had a chipmunk in my 2010 2604 last year. Fortunately after he left I found where he got in & sealed it with steel wool. He came in where the propane line entered the trailer behind the oven. It was very poorly sealed. Once in there he had free reign from the bottom kitchen cupboards right to the vanity under the bathroom sink. DW left a peach pit on the counter & we could hear him rolling it around trying to get it to go down the back of the stovetop. I removed the knife rack behind the stove & sealed 3 holes there just to be safe after I sealed from the outside.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

Found that mine were climbing the inside of the cover to the fridge vent. The vent had big enough holes that the mice could squeeze through (if they can get their nose through, their body follows.). Once inside the back of the fridge, they had free roam of the unit, through a variety of passages.... Anyway, bought the screens that cover the vent openings, so I'm hoping that this fixes it once and for all.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
I had a chipmunk in my 2010 2604 last year. Fortunately after he left I found where he got in & sealed it with steel wool. He came in where the propane line entered the trailer behind the oven. It was very poorly sealed. Once in there he had free reign from the bottom kitchen cupboards right to the vanity under the bathroom sink. DW left a peach pit on the counter & we could hear him rolling it around trying to get it to go down the back of the stovetop. I removed the knife rack behind the stove & sealed 3 holes there just to be safe after I sealed from the outside.
Was it Chip or Dale?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

When we opened up in spring we found droppings everywhere, then found the little B.......s had made a nest out of shop towels in the storage locker underneath. They had collected all the rat poison cubes from where I had left them and brought them all to one place in my BBQ cardboard box, they had been eating them all.

I then found one of the culprits in the BBQ box and put him in a field 100yds away. I cleaned everything up, put new poison cubes in various places.

Next visit, (the rig was in storage), same story, new nest, all the poison cubes relocated neatly into to my BBQ box and they even chewed into the plastic poison bag to get at the poison, this time I just left things as they were as they were not going inside the rig but staying in the storage locker.

When we went to collect and use the rig they were gone, probably because they had eaten all the bait. Why they did not die is a mystery

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

Boy, do I hate reading these posts! I am planning to purchase a Sunseeker early next year but am one of those women who "freak out" if I see mice. Not sure how I will handle this.......
leahabtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #8

Steps I take:

Mow grass and weeds as close to ground as posible.

Place poison in empty coffee cans that have been crushed on end to keep cats and dogs out.

Use traps inside baited with peanut butter and check every few days.
Place poison inside also in case they don't like the traps.

The idea is they will first find the poison outside and die before they venture inside. If they do get in they will go after the peanut butter and you will find them in the trap and be able to dispose of them before they decompose and stink up the camper. The last thing you want is for them to make a home in the wall or under the shower or other inaccessable place and die. This is why the inside traps are so important.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

If you can find any a spray product called "Squeek Out" (formerly Mouse Out) works wonders. It was designed as an aircraft lubricant because it states put at extreme speeds but was found to be an excellent rodent deterrent. FDA caused the name change because it wasn't approved for use around food. We spray it on the ground around the tires, hitch, any electric cords laying on the ground, and the jacks in a continuous line, keeping it off rubber surfaces, and the little buggers won't cross it. Farmers here in Oklahoma spray down their engine compartments on tractors and combines, bins, etc. each fall to keep them from chewing up wiring in the winter. On top of that it really is a super product for stopping squeeks and lubricating as intended. Hope its sold elsewhere, we get it at the Farmers Co-ops.
trailgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahabtx View Post
Boy, do I hate reading these posts! I am planning to purchase a Sunseeker early next year but am one of those women who "freak out" if I see mice. Not sure how I will handle this.......
Handle them gently, they are so cute,

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #11

We had mice getting into our Montana before we traded it off (fingers crossed no mice come into the 365saq). We fund they got in two separate ways. One was the furnace vents on the outside. Once in they had the ability to get through the vents and come out to play. A couple screens solved that issue after I thought the furnace was making a weird sound and the shop told me a mouse was stuck in the squirrel cage fan. The second was through the "enclosed" underbelly. Forest River and Keystone both seem to do a sloppy job at enclosing the underbellies. Sealed up the Montana and our new 365SAQ with the expandable foam. They will find any crack or area where the seams meet, pipes enter or exit, and utilize those areas for entry. Seal all of those and you should be set. Get the screens for the fridge and the furnace. You'll be glad you did.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #12

There's no way to completely stop the varmints from getting in. We finally gave up years ago & now have Ehrlick service the 5er each time the guy is out for the house. The Ehrlick guy treats the 5er just as if it were a house. He placed six baters around the rig. One in the basement, one under the bed & anywhere pipes come through the floor. All are out of site. In the baters is stuff the mice eat that makes them really, really thirsty. First thing the mice do is head right for the baters because it's easy access & they don't have to go further to look for food. They then head right back out & drink themselves to death. Ehrlick also treats for ants & other stuff. Each time he's out he reloads the baters with fresh stuff. Best thing is he doesn't add it to my invoice since he's already out for the quarterly house visit.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Bait Stations, Rodent Control, Rodent Traps, Skunk Traps, Raccoon Traps, Live Traps

We use the granular bait stations under the trailer and one at each window opening in the house, 2 in the garage and 4 in the quonset. Have not had rodent issues since. The RM supplies all the bait for free as part of the municipal pest control program. Gotta remember if you can put a pencil in it a mouse can get through to.

We use bait similar to this stuff from TSC, just put 3 or 4 pieces in each station and check them every few weeks.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/hawk-re...-chunx-4200628

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #14

I found that the mice had moved into our TT as we took posession of it. First I cleaned any mess they made, including shampooing the carpets and upholstery. Next, looked for access points - I think the grill behind the fridge was a popular spot, but there is sure to be others. There are screen strips that can be installed there.

I bought Irish Spring soap at BJ's (8 pack) and broke each bar into at least 4 pieces and the played easter bunny, hiding them everywhere, with double doses in any area that is enclosed like under the bed, with a full bar on top of the stove. I installed 2 ultrasonic repellers (Victor M692S Sonic PestChaser Wall Unit) but they don't affect enclosed spaces. The manufacturer indicates that ultrasonic is like light - it will only affect the varmints if the varmint can see it. One is on an extension cord to the utility space under the sink.
Also, I found in the past that getting rid of any food will discourage them. If there are fruit trees, nuts, or bird feeders nearby, move them (except the trees, but gather the fruit as soon as possible).
It may be a little silly, but I also started paying the cats a bounty - cat treats - whenever thy caught one. Can't yell at a feline, but can bribe them.

It has been 4 weeks, no signs of them!

Of course, if all this does fail as it gets colder out, I'm calling Orkin!
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #15

Found on my 2604 they were coming in the white 4"x4" vent in the underside, there was no screening under the vent to prevent them from crawling in, that was last winter. This year because I park the trl next to the garage, I've started a pro-active tactic. I've place poision baits all over inside the garage, the door is always open. Hopefully this will red the area of them before they really start seeking a winter home in my summer home. I also resealed all thru the underside openings. I'm also going to put the nylon stocking sacks of Cloves in several points inside the trl, i.e. open the access under the shower, there's 2 rather big opening into the underside there, also in the front storage compartment.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #16

If you live in the country and have the room there are 4 things that will keep mice out. Mice generally don't like open spaces and they don't like road rock. If you have a space away from buildings that you can make a parking spot out of rock it will help a lot! The other 2 things are about 3 farm cats and a couple fake owls.

In all our years of owning some form of camper we have never had a mouse problem and trust me they are all over in our 3 barns.

We also leave it plugged in with those ultrasonic things in the outlets but I have no idea if they help, we never had a problem even before we started using them.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
When we went to collect and use the rig they were gone, probably because they had eaten all the bait. Why they did not die is a mystery
Your problem was you used rat poison and these were mice.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #18

I've heard that this stuff works although I have never tried it but others on another camping site swear by it. Scatter Mice Far and Wide Naturally | Care2 Healthy Living

What I do is sprinkle about 2-3 boxes of real moth balls under my trailer. Do not buy the cheap imitations from the dollar store they just don't work. I believe the ingredient in the real ones is naptha or something similar. You can really tell the difference in the odor of the two. Also I put mouse poison packets all around under my trailer. I buy the packets because they are waterproof and the mice are curious and get into them. Every spring when i return to our trailer they are all gone or empty. We have never had an issue with mice in our camper and we leave it on our lot at our seasonal campground year round. I had mice get into our old camper once when it was parked in my driveway at home and found where they got in. The propane line for the stove had a small gap they slipped in through. I plugged it with a brillo pad and had no further issues. I use the brillo pad instead of just plain steel wool because I used steel wool in one of my old houses and the squirrels just pulled it out. Then I used the brillo and they wouldn't touch it. I believe the soap on them must have one nasty taste.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #19

We have tried to find this product around our area, which is a rural farming area, and cannot find it. Could you tell me the name of the manufacturer??
Thanks
linlas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #20

find Fresh Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlas13 View Post
We have tried to find this product around our area, which is a rural farming area, and cannot find it. Could you tell me the name of the manufacturer??
Thanks
You can click the link below to find a retailer near you Find Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent in a Store Near You | Earth-Kind