Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Mice Love Irish Spring Soap

First year of putting my new Alpha Wolf 27-RKL away, I wanted to be sure to do every possible thing to prevent mice. I removed all food. I put everything that was not nailed down into sealed plastic bins or removed from RV. I purchased Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent bags from the dealer and put out Irish Spring bars of soap throughout the RV. When I went into the RV last weekend, I discovered that the mice had been eating the soap. Has anyone experienced this? The Fresh Cab seems to have worked great. Waiting on my delivery of mouse traps!!!

Pmillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Site Team

This is a common experience as the soap which may work for a while looses its effectiveness quickly. I ( and others) have had good luck with essential oil of peppermint. You need quality essential oil and not food grade flavoring. Take 2-3 old coffee cups or glasses and add 2-3 cotton balls with 5-8 drops of peppermint oil on them and place them around the RV and in storage areas. You will need to refresh them about every 5-6 weeks. This also helps to deter spiders. I have used this method for 15 yrs and no mice despite plenty of them in garage 2 feet away. Be careful not to spill oil on surfaces as it will damage them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Yep. Couple of seasons ago we opened up our trailer and found a bar that we had left in a drawer that was half gone with a few mice pellets around it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #4

my 2 bits worth!
Only way to beat mice is to prevent their entry. Go underneath and block every possible entry point.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are lots of old wives tales for mice prevention and many are just that.

We've used EVERYTHING through the years. Irish Spring, Mothballs, Fresh Cab, Dryer Sheets, Electronic devices, Peppermint oil, Rodent/Pest sprinkles, Wild animal scents, etc.

The ONLY thing that is a sure bet is traps. Good Victor traps gets the job done for us.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Just as confused as you

I noticed that problem with mice of Irish ancestry.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #7

On our last popup, it must have been late August and we were getting a couple ants in the camper so I put out a couple of the little white traps. Two weeks later getting ready for the last trip I opened the front compartment and there was the remnants of mice. I thought why were they wanting to go in there we don't have any food until I remembered that I laid out the ant traps. Yep they were torn apart to shreds so were some of the canvas and come of the table cushions.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Yep. Couple of seasons ago we opened up our trailer and found a bar that we had left in a drawer that was half gone with a few mice pellets around it.

I use Bounce dryer sheets in my garden shed and engine compartment of my rv with success. Zip tied the sheets on hoses
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Lacey's Spring, AL

if you really don't want mice INSIDE the RV, don't give them ANYTHING in the RV!
many of the things you are 'told' are deterrents, are actually quite delicious...

traps are better, and outside only... unless you like dead mice in your rv
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
Old Soldier

Mouse deterrent

Hello all, we’ve had good success over the years with lots of bounce sheets and Irish Spring.
We know that the Irish Spring has worked as we’ve seen just a few mouse-sized bites. They tasted it and obviously didn’t like the flavour. Except maybe on St Paddy’s Day...
No worries during camping season as we camp with three cats who are always hungry!
Good luck!

ColonelRick is offline   Reply With Quote