Old 07-17-2015, 01:56 AM   #11

This keeps them out of the garden so I will try it for the rv this fall. HUMAN HAIR. Mice don't like the smell of humans. Just put a bunch around tires, jacks etc. Go to any hairdresser and they will give you all you want for free. They'll think you're nuts but who cares!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 AM   #12
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
does anyone have a tried and true method that works to keep mice out of your motorhome? My wife Hates Mices to pieces lol
Ensure that all potential access points are sealed. That includes openings as small as a dime. Yep, that small. Been there, done this. Oft touted retardants (peppermint, dryer sheets) may dissuade some rodents from entering but most will toddle right on by.

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #13
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
Mice don't like the smell of humans.
The prairie variety don't care. Our last and final infiltration even had the dogs in a tizzy due the brazen antics of Mr mouse.
)
Old 07-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

For Mice Prevention I have done the following prior to storing Trailer for the winter and had no problems in 4 years (knock on wood):

* Take every food item out of the pantry and trailer. Don't want anything in there encouraging them and their friends to come in for.

* Clean the shelves down with a good cleaner.

* Purchase a few boxes of cedar moth balls and placed around each corner/vent in the trailer. Drug Mart has then. I opted for cedar as it smells a tad better than traditional moth balls.

* Purchased a few boxes of dryer sheets and layed those down all around the floor as well including storage bins.

* Last but not least since my trailer is stationary and I typically leave it plugged in all year I keep these devices plugged in and I think they help. they are plugged in 365 days a year. Only cost a few cents a month to run.
Bell & Howell 3-Pack Mini Pest Repellers - Walmart.com

All of these steps may be overboard but I rather go crazy with these steps then spend half my summary fixing wiring that the mice have chewed or replacing items the mice have destroyed. Rather spend a few hours of mice prevention then spend weeks/days fixing things in summary.

Hope this helps...
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 AM   #15
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
* Purchase a few boxes of cedar moth balls and placed around each corner/vent in the trailer. Drug Mart has then. I opted for cedar as it smells a tad better than traditional moth balls.
Ever see mice relocate moth balls? Yep...
)
Old 07-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #16

I only use bounce dryer sheets- never had a problem - on my third camper in 12 yrs
Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #17

My son had trouble with mice 2yrs ago so last winter when we winterized I bought a large box on bounce fabric softener sheets and put them everywhere, in drawers and cupboards around the matteress and cushions ect. Never had a mouse in either his trailer or our ROO.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #18

Anyone try the mousefree.com product? A little pricey but might be worth it.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #19

We keep some of our camping stuff in a trailer parked in a friend's field near the campground we go to. It's been there 3 years with no problems, until this year. There has never been any food in it, ever. Opened it up, and found a huge mouse infestation. The only thing that saved our canvas items (chairs, mostly), was that we had left 4 rolls of paper towels. They loved them, chewed up a few to make their enormouse nest, and left everything else alone. This year, DH put steel wool in any openings he found on the outside (none found inside!) on the theory that the mice were somehow getting through that way, and he also dumped a few boxes of mothballs in. We didn't leave much in there this time, but now have a pup to consider, that will be garaged. Having had mice in the house before our cat, I'm a little concerned about the garage.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #20

I shave up Irish Spring soap and place a small handful into open sandwich bags. I then place a bag in each compartment and several around the MH. Make sure to get original scent. Have not had a mouse in 15 years since I started doing this. Have tried almost every other method .... this was the only one that has worked 100%.

Tags
vent