Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Minimize lawn Damage while parking-HELP!

When parking our 5 vr on the pad next to the house, I have to back over a patch of lawn which I sometimes will tear up with the front truck tires as I maneuver into place. Other than adding more concrete, I'm looking for a way to minimize the lawn damage.

I've seen landscaping companies use something like these which would probably do the trick but I think they would be heavy to move around and store and I would need like 4-4x8 sheets (>$$).

I also thought about buying a bunch of small rubber door mats and liberally distribute them over the targeted area...but...

What I'm really hoping for is that there will be someone here who has already figured this out or maybe would have a better suggestion.

btw. prior to the 5ver, I've sucessfully parked a 30 TT on the same pad for many years, but the TV was a SUV at that time.

Thanks

SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
phat phrog stunt crew

some pieces of plywood maybe. would spread the load out more. have seen them used under cement truck tires to minimize ruts in the yard. and since they are flat, they can be stored on the garage floor and your truck will park over the top of them if using full sheets.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Instead of just laying down concrete, you might consider the porus blocks that will let the grass grow through. They give support while leaving the area green and able to absorb rain water. I have seen them used succesfully in a couple of local community parking areas where "green" is a priority. (Think Washington rain:-)
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

I have sections of used conveyor belts that I roll out. They can be stored either rolled up or placed flat on the garage floor.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Why not go to a large vacant parking lot and mark out an area like you have to park on at home and practice parking it? If you could park a tt on it without tearing up the yard, it should be possible to put the 5er in it also.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Well Simcha I was going to recomend some of those rubber mats that are used in construction, but I clicked on your link and there they were! Only other thing I can think of is I believe tractor supply or something like them, carry stall mats that are about 1" thick and I think they are about 4'x6'- I had an add that had them in it, but I think I threw it out yestetday.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

i question too how you could back a tt into the same spot and not tear up the yard. might be time to invest in a concrete apron to tie the two areas together. or, stock up on dirt and grass seed
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Hey you guys are forgetting that you have to turn your truck much, much more to get the trailer to react on a 5er/gooseneck. You can back a 5er trailer down the tightest winding path, but you will need a lot of "wiggle" room for the truck.
- That's why he need our advise!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #9

Eventually you'll probably wish you had some sort of surface other than grass in that area. Our pad is packed gravel and is accessed off our gravel driveway. It's a pretty tough surface. I have to back down the driveway and around turn 90* to get next to the shed which doesn't always happen on the first try.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #10

What about the ground up rubber they use on play grounds It drains very good , and can be re spread around. ?

2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote