Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Mods to a brand new TT

If you were buying a brand new TT, is there anything you would do prior to using it the very first time. Taping the seams, some treatment to tanks or fluid lines, etc. I realize anything is fixable but somtimes prevention is easier then the repair. Also can I use a review camera instead of wide mirrors to pull a TT. Have not bought yet. Probably a Mini Lite 1905 pulled by 2014 4runner.
rmcguirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #2

I bought a porcelain toilet, easily to change out before the other is used. Put in second battery, in fact, 2 six volt batteries to give me a better "base". I was going to get camera and sm monitor but decided, it couldn't be that hard. I started to practice in a CC parking lot. Just wanted to back straight up. Put my wheels on a line and followed it for 300 yds. Then put the wheels on the other side and did the same. The whole, left .. right thing, then looking in a mirror my head hurt. The best advice. Put a hand, palm up on the bottom, center of your steering wheel. Look at the trailer in the mirror. As you take your foot off the break and the truck - trailer start back the back of the trailer will start to swing one way or the other.... stop for an instant, ..... Which way do I want the back of the trailer to go, to keep everything straight. If you are looking in the drivers mirror and you the trailer to move, left (closer to the line) lift, from the bottom of the wheel with your left hand. If you want the trailer to move away or back to the right, lift the steering wheel with your right hand...to the right.. give things a second or 10 and keep it sort of straight. Close is real good the first time out, do it for an hour.... ok, a couple of hours, a couple of weekends. That will give you confidence. It took me over an hour to go 300 yards the first time. The third time I I could switch sides of the line 4 times in 300 yards. When you use a spotter, talk about "the drivers side" or "the passenger's" side, not left and right...... hope this helps
Old 09-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

Have all exposed steel frame parts (undernieth) shot with automotive rustproofing.The 3rd class powdercoating will start to flake and allow the exposed frame parts to rust.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Agree w/rustproofing - which I still need to do to mine... Swap-out stock mattress for something comfy BEFORE first trip. Add MaxxAir fan for ventilation on rainy days. Add a couple gallons of water & Porta-Pak deodorizer to black tank BEFORE using it the 1st time. Test EVERYTHING at dealer before you pull-away. Then camp overnight in your driveway or near dealer before your first camping trip. During your test check behind access panels, etc. for leaky water lines. Check all 12V & 110V outlets for proper polarity - amazingly they don't get them right...

Personally I would sterilize the FW tank & lines with diluted bleach (lots of posts explaining how...) AND, most importantly, I would swap-out those China Bomb tires for Maxxis & add a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). A blown tire will cause a LOT of damage & keep your TT tied-up for weeks/months as they repair the damage... (Especially since the Mini Lite only has 1 axle...) You should also review your WDH hitch instructions & make sure it is setup properly - especially since you are towing with a 4Runner w/shorter wheelbase...

Oh, and don't skip tow mirrors. I just have the plastic ones that snap-around my existing ones... You will need them when you are turning so that you can see where your TT tires are going/not curb them... The backup camera would only show what is directly behind you, not beside the TT...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications