Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Morryde Step Above steps

Thinking of installing this on my Microlite 25BDS. Anyone else tried it? Any snags?
jimswofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
Jayhawker

We have the Morryde steps on our Surveyor. Did not install them, but looks like an easy install. Here is a PDF install link for youhttp://https://www.google.com/url?sa...fMQLb9LO87rQnx
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

My husband just installed a set in our Wildcat a couple of weeks ago.....easy. We love them. They are going to be better for our Bassets too.[emoji6]
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I went with the Torklift GlowSteps as they can be deployed anywhere and in any size spot.

Installed them by myself with two screwdrivers and two socket wrenches in less than an hour.

I know several people that have the Morride's and complain that they always have to be brought down to enter the RV, plus in a tight spot they can't always be deployed to the ground.

Just some thoughts to ponder...

Here are my GlowSteps:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep1Old-P3160576.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	183824   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep2-P3160579.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	706.8 KB
ID:	183825   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep3-P3160582.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	674.2 KB
ID:	183826   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep6-P3160590.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	183827   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerGlowStep5-P3160596.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	961.1 KB
ID:	183828  

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I went with the Torklift GlowSteps as they can be deployed anywhere and in any size spot.

Installed them by myself with two screwdrivers and two socket wrenches in less than an hour.

I know several people that have the Morride's and complain that they always have to be brought down to enter the RV, plus in a tight spot they can't always be deployed to the ground.

Just some thoughts to ponder...

Here are my GlowSteps:
Our old steps had to be brought down too.....and we never park that close to anyone so there won't be that problem. I hope you enjoy your new steps.[emoji4]
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
Our old steps had to be brought down too.....and we never park that close to anyone so there won't be that problem. I hope you enjoy your new steps.[emoji4]
Truck stops...rest areas...you never know!

Those steps flip down...not fold down.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #7

I THINK I have those type steps on my Wolf Pup.
They fold up into the door frame. They have adjustable bottom supports.
So far I've had two problems with them. Bottom line is the top hinge MUST be hanging are hard as they can against the threshold plate for the doors to close and open easily.
First problem. Parking in the yard, the trailer settled a bit into the ground and pushed the steps up against the door bottom. I knocked the pins out holding the bottom support adjusters to sag them to open the door and readjust the bottom supports. Now I always park on lengths of 2x8 to stop that sinking feeling.
Second problem, just this weekend. Leveled my TT side to side at a new to me campground. Disconnected the TT. Leveled the TT fore to aft. Every thing cool, right? Nope! When I opened the door and lowered the steps, they would not go down far enough to close the doors. Apparently a non visible rise on the side of the site. Could not jam the stair's bottom supports in far enough. I ended up hooking the TT back up to the TV, tried two layers of the "logo" levelers, no good. Rather than using three, went straight to four levels, then the steps worked fine. Good thing I had two sets of leveler. I ended up using all of my wood blocking under my stabilizers as I try not to extend them much over square for better mechanical stability of the jacks themselves.
I will say that I love the stairs stability. If/when I flip the axle to under the springs, the above problems should nor reoccur.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #8

Morryde does make a set of quick connect steps. We ran into the 'close neighbor in the storage lot' issue. Then I started to wonder what we would do if we were in the lot and had an issue with our leveling system that requires us to go into the 5th wheel to reset it on the touchpad........

We like our steps that have the gas strut assist, but it may be worth considering the quick connect version.

Jim
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #9

Great info! I have those Mo rRydes. Not crazy about them. Designed by someone who never camped. Changing heights a pain, weak (bends) locking mechanism and all the rain and dirt ends up in rig. Also legs aren’t long enough for which happens often. (Bring out the blocks). And if brought in with screen closed everything is bent and destroyed!
Stepdad1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepdad1234 View Post
Great info! I have those Mo rRydes. Not crazy about them. Designed by someone who never camped. Changing heights a pain, weak (bends) locking mechanism and all the rain and dirt ends up in rig. Also legs aren’t long enough for which happens often. (Bring out the blocks). And if brought in with screen closed everything is bent and destroyed!
You just named all of the reasons why I like my Torklift steps better than the MorRyde offering.

Product Review: Glowstep Revolution by Torklift | Learn To RV
Old 03-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #11

Guess I'm just lucky. 2 years with them and never had an issue. I had to put a 1x2 block under one foot of the stairs once because of low spot from water runoff.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Mor-ryde vs Torklift is becoming the new Ford vs. Chevy on this forum. (or is it "Nitrogen vs. Regular Air?)

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Mor-ryde vs Torklift is becoming the new Ford vs. Chevy on this forum. (or is it "Nitrogen vs. Regular Air?)

Tim
I know, right? We have 2 that are loaded and ready to bash the Moryde steps.

I won't waste another second explaining how simple they are to adjust, deploy and clean. I DON'T get paid commission...
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:

Tim
For me, I try to share the info about the Torklift steps and then don't engage in any "mine is better" discussion after it. Kind of like the forum rules say, "say your piece and let it go".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson15 View Post
I know, right? We have 2 that are loaded and ready to bash the Moryde steps.

I won't waste another second explaining how simple they are to adjust, deploy and clean. I DON'T get paid commission...
There was another thread where someone either said they weren't aware of the problems that some people have with the MorRyde or they weren't aware of alternatives. My goal isn't to bash the MorRyde steps, but to share an alternative. And as mentioned, I won't fight the good fight. I'll share about the Torklift steps and then like Elsa says, "let it go".

Sorry/surprised to hear you think I'm bashing them. It's not my intention and I'll look to see how I can word things differently in the future.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #15

We have 2 entry doors. One has Mor-ryde steps, the other has the classic pull out. With the slide in we can skinny between the slide and the wall to move front to back, so either door is usable when parked, boondocking, stored.
DW has a bad knee and the approx. 9" riser dimension on the Mor-ryde steps exceeds her comfort and confidence level. I am thinking of placing additional tread material on each step to reduce the rise. A 2x8 sounds easy, but what ever I use cannot get slippery when wet, muddy, or otherwise.
I am also looking at a way to easily add a solid but removable lower step for times when that corner of the trailer is up in the air due to leveling.
Haven't got it fully worked out yet, but, still trying to activate brain cells. It has to become sufficiently complicated in order to solve it.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #16
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For me, I try to share the info about the Torklift steps and then don't engage in any "mine is better" discussion after it. Kind of like the forum rules say, "say your piece and let it go".

There was another thread where someone either said they weren't aware of the problems that some people have with the MorRyde or they weren't aware of alternatives. My goal isn't to bash the MorRyde steps, but to share an alternative. And as mentioned, I won't fight the good fight. I'll share about the Torklift steps and then like Elsa says, "let it go".

Sorry/surprised to hear you think I'm bashing them. It's not my intention and I'll look to see how I can word things differently in the future.
Not you in particular... But one fforum member (not on this thread yet) seems to have made it his life's mission to convince people that Mor-Rydes are the work of the devil.

I personally would love to have them on my camper (and I even tried, but my door opening is out of spec enough that I can't install them). The reasons people list for not liking them range from "I can see that" (putting them down in tight storage spaces), to the absurd (I can't get in my camper without deploying my stock steps either) to "oh... c'mon man!" (the whole "bringing filth and mud into my camper..." Don't you own a mop for the maybe 3 times a year this would be a problem?)

Not everything works for everyone. I tried the Torklift. I didn't like them. They even contacted me about why, and thanked me for my honest response with a nice card signed by everyone in the company and some gifts (classy company, that).

I truly wish that people would give up on the "I don't like it, and you shouldn't either" mentality.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #17
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:

Tim
There are so so many of these conversations that one can lose count. Makes for great entertainment for those "looky lou-ers"

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Not everything works for everyone. I tried the Torklift. I didn't like them. They even contacted me about why, and thanked me for my honest response with a nice card signed by everyone in the company and some gifts (classy company, that).

I truly wish that people would give up on the "I don't like it, and you shouldn't either" mentality.

Tim
I didn't realize you had the Torklift steps. Mind shooting me a PM as to why you didn't like them? If you're OK with it, I'll likely add your input into the article that I have written.

And yes- there's no 1 right way for everyone. It's what I love about RVing. We all have our own ways. And that's a good thing. Otherwise, life would be pretty boring.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I didn't realize you had the Torklift steps. Mind shooting me a PM as to why you didn't like them? If you're OK with it, I'll likely add your input into the article that I have written.

And yes- there's no 1 right way for everyone. It's what I love about RVing. We all have our own ways. And that's a good thing. Otherwise, life would be pretty boring.
PM sent.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #20

Quote:
PM sent.

Tim
Have both you and ependad gone to the moryde now? I have been considering going to the Tork step on my Roo. I'd be interested in both of your opinions.

Thanks
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote