Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I highly recommend NOT changing your own tires on the road. The weight on one wheel alone can equal an entire automobile. Normal jacks aren't strong enough and having a solid surface under the jack is an absolute must. Also, the reason Ford recommends not raising the rear wheels off the ground with the stabilizers (they're not jacks) is due to weight of the rear of the coach sitting on them (60-70% of the total RV weight) and the lateral force it applies to the front jacks. Be safe...we'd like to keep you around!
First off they are jacks (levelers) not stabilizers. If the system is the LCI (Lippert) hydraulic system they raise (jack) in tandem (2 front, 2 rear, 2 left, 2 right) in manual mode and this is the mode that would be used for changing a tire. Each jack rated at 12000 pounds (could be wrong). The only warning I have seen is to not raise all wheels off the ground. It is recommended not to use the levelers to change a tire but this is the way the garage does it for my tire changes. With that said, those tires are heavy and a real pain in the a** to maneuver so I leave it to the roadside assistance professionals. Just another input.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #12

IMO it is a good idea to carry a spare tire. Use a mobile service or limp to a shop if the flat is on the rear. But having your own spare tire insures that you are not stuck on the road waiting for a tire.
A friend had to wait several days at a shop in VA and another had to drive 250 miles each direction in Texas to get his own tire while his coach sat in an I-10 rest area (but with another coach they were traveling with.) We were lucky that the shop where we stopped in S. Dakota had a proper size tire from China. Don't laugh!! We drove on that tire home to Fla. from S. Dakota and again a couple of years later from Utah.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

X2 to the other comments. I am not sure I would ever want to change my own tire. and carry a spare? What would the weight of a tire and rim be?

Worse case, call road side service and have a beverage at the table inside while you wait.

Best Case: Have one of these in your toolbox: http://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-00.../dp/B000AMOEGY
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
X2 to the other comments. I am not sure I would ever want to change my own tire. and carry a spare? What would the weight of a tire and rim be?

Worse case, call road side service and have a beverage at the table inside while you wait.

Best Case: Have one of these in your toolbox: http://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-00.../dp/B000AMOEGY
I seriously doubt you'd ever get one of those through a G rated moho tire. But I do carry one with me for my small work trailer. Even those D rated tires a muther to get a plug into.
As a side note, most, if not all tire manufacturers will not honor a warranty on their tires for separation if an 'outside in' tire repair is done, without dismounting the tire and applying patch to the inside of the injury.

2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Eaz Lift WDH 1400# w/ Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion
EezRV TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, wheel