Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #21

We were complete newbies and were looking for a base model TT for the two of us to do musical festival camping and maybe another trip or two of regular camping. We didn't do enough research and didn't know that there were two types of fridges--a/c only or a/c and propane. Most times it won't be a bother b/c we will have hook-ups but during dry camping at a festival our fridge is just a glorified cooler. I was a little disappointed.
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
All great points.

The comments brings up the issue of cost vs. benefits.

Internet wholesalers require full payment up front before you are allowed to see it. You basically own it once you show up for the pdi. Any problems with the unit? You can still leave it there as was stated and yes, one should not have camping plans. But the problem is you basically own it.

So the choice is - do you save a bit of money or pay a bit more and do as was said in previous posts. Whatever choice you make, it should be something you accept.

Vin.
We bought our trailer from RV Wholesalers in Ohio. They did not require that we make full payment up front. We put down a deposit of $1,000 and did a order for our trailer with 4-5 changes from the normal build. We paid the balance AFTER we did an extensive PDI. During the PDI we noticed the trailer did not come with the arctic package we ordered. RV Wholesalers gave us the option of taking the trailer as is with a price reduction for the missing package or having it a new one built with free delivery to our home in MS. Since FR actually made more changes than we expected, like swapping a window and door postion in the cargo area, we took the trailer there.

One recommendation I have is to get the actual invoice from the manufactuer when doing the PDI. Let the dealer mark out pricing if they have a concern. This way you can see that you are getting all the options you expect.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #23
Lon

RV Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
All great points.

The comments brings up the issue of cost vs. benefits.

Internet wholesalers require full payment up front before you are allowed to see it. You basically own it once you show up for the pdi. Any problems with the unit? You can still leave it there as was stated and yes, one should not have camping plans. But the problem is you basically own it.

So the choice is - do you save a bit of money or pay a bit more and do as was said in previous posts. Whatever choice you make, it should be something you accept.

Vin.
I bought mine from RV Direct. They were 1/2 the cost of the local dealers so I took the leap of faith required. Since they wanted a $500 deposit immediately and full payment many weeks ahead of delivery I asked for and got the title put in my name and bought insurance to protect the TT while on their lot waiting for me to pick it up. I asked for and got changes in their routine. I was on the phone with practically every member of their team and several employees of the RV dealership almost every day. I could envision them cringing when they heard my name. I was not apologetic and got everything I asked for. Before getting in the car to drive from Little Rock to Albany I felt I had worked through every potential major issue. In my mind I was buying a cheap TT as practice for the big unit I plan to buy next year. Delivery at Albany RV was a blissful experience. I arrived at my usual 4 hours too early time and the secretary would pretend not to look up when I came in for the 10th time. I watched while the crew sweated blood getting it ready always with a smile on their face and obvious expertise. The guys that checked me out on the unit were extremely likeable and I spent so much time trading war stories with them that I failed to listen to the presentation. I had so much fun there I didn't want to leave. I bought every accessory they recommended and they all turned out to be essential. On the way home I noticed Niagra Falls was pretty close so spent a day there. I've had a few minor issues but nothing I couldn't fix with a screw driver and the help I've gotten from this forum. I've had 12 trips since October, seen every Hog Football game, got to know the grands again and seen the Grand Canyon and all the Arkansas parks. This is a lot more fun than staying in a Marriott.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote