Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Need advise on pick up new motorhome

Hi,
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my new Forester MBS 2401R. What should I do or ask to make sure every things are good before I am driving of the lot? I am first time owner and first time Rving and it's means I am very green. I am ready for my retirement and feeling great.

Thanks
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You do what they call a PDI (pre delivery inspection) and the form is available here on this web site and it's a check list of things you go over with dealer of all things relating to operation and quality of the coach just to name a few. Take lots of notes and ask a lot of questions. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

Plan to take most of the day, do not let them rush you. Test everything and follow the PDI, if the salesman can't answer the questions have him get someone that can. Once you drive off the lot you loose a major portion of your leverage. Oh ya get everything in writing that they are going to fix.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #4

Thanks I've printed out PDI list last night. It is a long list and i intent to go item by item as on the list with them. It's going to be a long day but I am excited.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

I mite suggest , get down on the ground so you can look underneath engine, looking for wet spots or leaks, back side of wheels, mite sound crazy but I once bought a gasser, first thing I found at home of coasre is power steering leaking.so off to the ford place I had to go. Roof, if you can, get up there. Make sure to hook up to water run everything an like was said follow PDI list. An expect something to be wrong, they all have problems, it's part of it . For all of us. They will throw extended warranties at you, I sugguet not to buy, you have a year to shop for them if it's something you want .
Happy Trails
An welcome to RVIng
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

From experience, be sure to fill ALL tanks, fresh, gray and black, COMPLETELY full, after first checking that the gauges correctly show empty. You should have water standing in the shower and in the toilet!! Water lines should be pressurized and hot water heater on. Then check that the gauges show full.

Then go about the remainder of the PDI, and last thing, take a flashlight to closely examine all the plumbing sites and compartments for water leaks. That should have allowed about 2 hours for water in the plumbing. IF NONE, then have the gray and black tanks emptied. Check that you have HOT water from the water heater. You can then empty the fresh water if you don't want to travel with the tank full.

There are many other PDI items but water leaks in the plumbing is a critical check. As Reagan use to say, "trust but VERIFY". The "trust" part is optional.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

I would recommend recording a video of them explaining and training you if possible. There have been many times where I'm sitting there and wishing i could remember what they told me.
Bigfork, Montana
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #8

Will you be one person or a couple? If two, have the other person taking notes, using a smart phone or an iPad is also handy. Use the video and record options to help recall what the tech is explaining. As a newby, I picked up my Solera alone. After a three hour PDI, my brain was jello, overloaded with trying to remember everything. I was very nervous when they handed over my keys to drive off. I had flown to the midwest to p/u my RV and was taking a week driving home the 1,700 miles. The first night remembering a few things, and slowing learning all the various systems each day, frequently checking my notes and manuals. By the time I got home I felt confident and had everything down. Of course, going on this Forum continues to educate me even more.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Plan to take most of the day, do not let them rush you. Test everything and follow the PDI, if the salesman can't answer the questions have him get someone that can. Once you drive off the lot you loose a major portion of your leverage. Oh ya get everything in writing that they are going to fix.
X2. Don t let them rush you. Take notes & ask questions. They will want you to sign off that your OKing the motor home has been inspected by you. Take a flash light and look down the body of motor home at angle looking at body and paint. Look for flaws Congrats and good luck!
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #10

[QUOTE=raptor;1265882]Hi,
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my new Forester MBS 2401R. What should I do or ask to make sure every things are good before I am driving of the lot? I am first time owner and first time Rving and it's means I am very green. I am ready for my retirement and feeling great./QUOTE]

Ask your dealer if they have a campsite on premises or nearby. Many dealers have a small campsite right there at, or very close to, their dealership where you can camp for the first night or two. Glamorous as it would be to camp at the nice RV park down the road? No, but the technicians are just a short walk away when needed to explain (possibly again) how something is/was supposed to work, or how do you turn on/off something. RVs of all types are very complex objects with many systems that have to work together; better to find out one isn't playing nice while you are parked behind the dealership than 500 miles down the road!
AND...yes, DO plan on at least 5-6 hours to do the complete PDI list. Do a search for PDI lists on this forum, or in Google, and you will find some very extensive lists. That is the one you want, and videoing the guy explaining everything is genius! I am so doing that next rig PDI.
Good luck and happy camping!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 AM   #11

Wow thanks so much for all advises. I was kind of by myself. I've a few things wrong as far as I've seen and test. I have it in writing on all things they are promising to fix. Did checked all tanks level indicators look good except did not them all filled to top. The only thing I can't get too is the roof cause FR MBS 2401R doesn't come with ladder and it's against their policy. I am taking a camp ground near by to test it out and no they not offer for free. Right now I am so overwhelmed with information's but what ever it is coming my way I will deal with it. I know lot of bad people out there. I will fix and enjoy my new rig cause I owned it now. I will have lot of question and I know where to ask. Again Thanks you all so much. This is the best community.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:35 AM   #12

They don't to supply ladder for old guy to go up to the roof.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #13

Just did that. With the Internet, I read every manual I could find. As a result, I knew how things were SUPPOSED to work. I actually taught the walk thru a few things.
tbachtell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #14

Have a lot of questions after first night of sake up.
When to use furnace and when use heat pump? It was okay at dealer but at camp ground cause smoke fill room and smoke alarm went off.
Why does it run full blast and can seems to slow down at all at 70 degree setting?
How to know when Def fluid is needed?
How to check fuel mileage or is it an option thing?
Saw in dashboard 17300 with wrench sigh. Is it maintenance count down.
And also when do you use generator and how do you sleep with all that noise?
Thanks you in advance. I have lot to learn.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #15

Oh fuel mileage I meant in dash read out.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #16

We are newbies too and picked up our first RV last week. I took a note pad and wrote down everything they said during the PDI. The dealership also said I could use my phone and record everything on video.
TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #17
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We found a big cracked area, looked to be an impact damage, and a bolt rubbing the seal under the slide after we got home with it. You could only see these when the slide is out. My husband fixed the bolt. There is just tooooo much stuff to reasonably check in one PDI. Even with 2 of us, we got Jello brain after a few hours.

Tags
motorhome