Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

Need help-dumping tanks

I have a pretty new 17' Coachmen Clipper Ultralight and it sits low to the ground. I am having trouble with dumping both the grey and black water tanks. I'm using a clear elbow with 6' dominator hose. Once I release the valve one at a time, the pressure is strong and it stops flowing sort of going back up to where connects and I have to slowly guide the hose till it empties while open and closing valves due to it backing up. Takes forever and Ive tried the support stands, didnt work. Any tips?
gsalsa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Sounds like you are lacking a vent to the tanks or they're plugged.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had similar issues. I went with a Rhino swivel elbow so I can discharge at whatever angle the site and slope dictates. Using that I can get much closer to a straight line run between TT and the sewer connection. Sometimes though it's just not possible to slope the whole way and I'm left 'walking' the sewer hose to dump what's in the line.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Disney camper

Doesn't sound right if there is air escaping from what your dumping into. The grey drains are open on the top end so it can't pull a vacuum unless like what oldcoot, there's a plug somewhere. Does the tub drain slow?
Every time I have to dump I pray it doesn't backup. I can picture the movie RV and Robin Williams getting soaked.
Good luck
Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsalsa06 View Post
I have a pretty new 17' Coachmen Clipper Ultralight and it sits low to the ground. I am having trouble with dumping both the grey and black water tanks. I'm using a clear elbow with 6' dominator hose. Once I release the valve one at a time, the pressure is strong and it stops flowing sort of going back up to where connects and I have to slowly guide the hose till it empties while open and closing valves due to it backing up. Takes forever and Ive tried the support stands, didnt work. Any tips?
Are you dumping into a waste port or a tote tank, if you are using the tote tank did you open the vent to allow air to escape from the tank as waste enters the tank?

Do you have proper fall on the line?

Have you checked the vents on the roof to ensure they are open? (Have someone open the commode while your black is draining to give it a new air vent, dose in fix the problem?)

Ask neighboring camper for there option while you are dumping to see if they see ASN issue that you are overlooking, most will be happy to help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #6

I don't know if vents are open. I didn't know where they are located. If on roof, I can check there. I thought if I opened toilet, the smell could come inside? Tub seems to be draining fine. I tried dumping yesterday at my storage location. If the dump hole is very low to the ground like it is there, it seems to be much better. I just had to rotate the clear swivel elbow up towards the end and walk hose a couple of times. Grey tank even tougher. I really think its because the drains on my trailer are so low and if the dump hole is off the ground at all, I have problems. I also think the elbow is created more of a problem. I guess I could always dump the majority without elbow and then I can check at the end with elbow if its clear. I know there isn't a clog because it shows tanks are full then empty after I'm done. When I'm really close to dump hole, I wondered if I should get a 3' hose, seems like the longer it is the harder it is. It's just a pain and not sure if anyone knew why.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #7

"If the dump hole is very low to the ground like it is there, it seems to be much better. I just had to rotate the clear swivel elbow up towards the end and walk hose a couple of times. Grey tank even tougher. I really think its because the drains on my trailer are so low and if the dump hole is off the ground at all, I have problems. I also think the elbow is created more of a problem. I guess I could always dump the majority without elbow and then I can check at the end with elbow if its clear. I know there isn't a clog because it shows tanks are full then empty after I'm done. When I'm really close to dump hole, I wondered if I should get a 3' hose, seems like the longer it is the harder it is."
You're on to it now. Good luck!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Like I said above, try getting a swivel elbow. Here's a link to the one I use:

RhinoFLEX Clear Swivel Fittings - 90° Fitting - Camco 39857 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

I had pretty much the exact same issue. The original elbow I bought would sit so low to the ground that it'd have to go uphill to get into the dump hole. When I turned the elbow sideways, that didn't work either as my bayonets actually lined the elbow up to be slightly pointing up instead of directly to the side.

With the swivel elbow, I can try to get as steady a slope as possible between the elbow and the dump. I think that's the biggest issue, having angles in it caused it pool where I didn't want. This way, there's no spots to pool, it just continuously flows down.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't know if vents are open. I didn't know where they are located. If on roof, I can check there. I thought if I opened toilet, the smell could come inside? Tub seems to be draining fine. I tried dumping yesterday at my storage location. If the dump hole is very low to the ground like it is there, it seems to be much better. I just had to rotate the clear swivel elbow up towards the end and walk hose a couple of times. Grey tank even tougher. I really think its because the drains on my trailer are so low and if the dump hole is off the ground at all, I have problems. I also think the elbow is created more of a problem. I guess I could always dump the majority without elbow and then I can check at the end with elbow if its clear. I know there isn't a clog because it shows tanks are full then empty after I'm done. When I'm really close to dump hole, I wondered if I should get a 3' hose, seems like the longer it is the harder it is. It's just a pain and not sure if anyone knew why.
Sound like you don't have enough fall yo drain. You can get a pump and you want need to worry about fall. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002D2...&pi=SY200_QL40

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #10

Yes, that is the same elbow that I have. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep practicing. Practice makes perfect as they say.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, that is the same elbow that I have. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep practicing. Practice makes perfect as they say.
The issue you are having is that water does not flow uphill (unless you move the hill/slinky). I have been at cg's where the pad is lower than the sewer inlet and just actually a little lower than my drain port. At those times I have to extend the levellers or allow enough time to work with the drain hose to empty the tanks. The worse are the ones that enclose the sewer port within a concrete coffer dam (up and over). All you can do is elevate your rig if possible and/or take your time working with the sewer hose. Good luck.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank