Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #21

KV,
Waxes for clear coat finishes are formulated a little different than waxes for fiberglass and Gel Coat. I can imagine a good auto wax would be great for a metal sided RV with an automotive finish. Fiberglass/gel coats oxidize quicker under UV light and so forth alot quicker than a painted enamel finish on an auto or high end motorhome. Marine wasxes tend to hold up under the punishment of sun, saltwater and so forth better than applying a car wax to a boat. They have UV inhibitors to reduce oxidation of the gel coat.

I am not picking on the product you sell as I have no clue about it. Maybe it is perfect for fiberglass finishes and maybe it is really really good. However, for me and my fiberglass skin camper we will stick with boat waxes designed for fiberglass / gel coat protection and shy away from waxes for autos and painted / clear coat finishes .

08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
KV,
Waxes for clear coat finishes are formulated a little different than waxes for fiberglass and Gel Coat. I can imagine a good auto wax would be great for a metal sided RV with an automotive finish. Fiberglass/gel coats oxidize quicker under UV light and so forth alot quicker than a painted enamel finish on an auto or high end motorhome. Marine wasxes tend to hold up under the punishment of sun, saltwater and so forth better than applying a car wax to a boat. They have UV inhibitors to reduce oxidation of the gel coat.

I am not picking on the product you sell as I have no clue about it. Maybe it is perfect for fiberglass finishes and maybe it is really really good. However, for me and my fiberglass skin camper we will stick with boat waxes designed for fiberglass / gel coat protection and shy away from waxes for autos and painted / clear coat finishes .
I couldn't agree more with you Bob on the marine wax and its abilities, that's the reason I chose the product I use....

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #23

None of the above mention items will fix the issue, they are all sealers/protectors. The boating community deals with this every few years, go to a marine store and ask for a striper/cleaner for fiber glass, it gets applied with a wet sander (or by hand with wet sanding paper) this will clean up the camper, then apply a good wax/sealer, i use nu finish. if you use a power tool (da or grinder) with the wet paper be very careful not to cut into the glass, i use an air power DA to save my elbow, just be careful if you do. This will claer up the blotches and dull areas but you have to reseal the glass.
FYI, do not go over your decals, it will remove them.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Sherdep,
Most boat supply places carry it. I buy it from West Marine. There is a paste form and liquid. I use the liquid.
Thanks Bob - appreciatte it

Quote:
Sherdep, while there pick up a huge gallon size. 303 protectant for the roof too. 303 is an outstanding UV blocker...good for the roof.
I actually forgot about doing the roof and protecting it - thanks for the reminder and if you buy the other stuff mentioned please let me know if it worked for you or not
2014 (3)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #25

I have a 2011 rockwood roo....can anyone recommend any wax or protectants for the exterior surface?

I didn't want to pay the 250.00 that the dealer wanted for them to put some protectant on it...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #26

Cool

Quote:
KV,

Most waxes have UV inhibitors in them, not just marine waxes!!!!

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #27

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro1962 View Post
I have a 2011 rockwood roo....can anyone recommend any wax or protectants for the exterior surface?

I didn't want to pay the 250.00 that the dealer wanted for them to put some protectant on it...
Any kind of wax will do but I find that meguires is one of the best out there.

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #28

I have a 2001 Cardinal with the same finish and after much experimenting have found NewGlass2 to be superior to any waxes or polishes. Takes time, not terribly hard work and great results.