Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Need Tips To Avoid Freezing Water Lines

Taking last trip of the year for a few days in upstate NY (Ithaca-Treeman State Park). I will have electric only hook-up. Weather should be just above freezing during the day and in the low to mid 20's overnight. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has to avoid having any pipes freeze. I have a 2019 Sunseeker 2400WS MBS with Arctic Pak. Will also have 2 electric heaters in addition to onboard propane furnace.

2019 Sunseeker 2400WS
Toad:2019 Chevrolet Sonic RS
TNYHWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I’m guessing your still hoping to use your onboard water fresh water tank?

The fact that the State Park is only providing you electric only, along with the forecasted temperatures you’re describing should tell you you’re treading on thin ice to guarantee you won’t have freezing pipes.

Personally, there’s no one here that can provide you a sure fired method to avoid trouble, and I would have winterized by now, but good luck in your Camping adventure.

Keep pouring the heat to your unit and hope it warms the interior enough to protect your water system.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m guessing your still hoping to use your onboard water fresh water tank?

The fact that the State Park is only providing you electric only, along with the forecasted temperatures you’re describing should tell you you’re treading on thin ice to guarantee you won’t have freezing pipes.

Personally, there’s no one here that can provide you a sure fired method to avoid trouble, and I would have winterized by now, but good luck in your Camping adventure.

Keep pouring the heat to your unit and hope it warms the interior enough to protect your water system.
Interior line should be ok since I will have continuous heat. Just worries about lines that may be underneath outside like the outside water hose thats in it own compartment.

2019 Sunseeker 2400WS
Toad:2019 Chevrolet Sonic RS
TNYHWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

We live & camp where the weather seldom gets below freezing so I have no advice to offer. However, I do have a question - the OP is asking about camping in weather that cold and still having use of his water system. I would assume that all of the concerns and any suggestions that come in would apply to towing the TT in below freezing weather. Am I correct in that assumption? I ask because eventually we will travel more and I'm sure we will encounter below freezing temps...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
clr

You say that you have an electric only site in a State Park, so I will assume that you do not have a water hose presently connected to the RV.
You should be fine if you have tank heaters turn them on of the night. Leave the cabinet door open slightly below the sinks were the water lines are. If you do have a hose connected to the unit turn off the water for the night and remove the hose from both ends. Remove the hose from the outside shower if you have one. If might even wrap the outside shower area in a towel if possible. If you do not have a heated storage area it may be a good idea to place a small electric heater in the storage area.

I have camped many times when it that cold or colder with no problems.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #6

If the bottom of your unit is sealed, ensure the units gas heater runs during the night. Should keep lines warm enough under the floor, depending on how many hours it remains below freezing.

We camp below freezing often. We are at hookups in Tombstone, AZ right now where they are having an unusual cold snap, but it only stays below freezing for about 4-5 hours. For overnight we set the propane heater at 55 in the main area and run the electric heater at 68 in the bedroom with the door shut. Propane heater keeps the underbelly warm enough that nothing is frozen in the morning.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:34 AM   #7

Arctic Package - LOL

Extreme Weather Arctic Package: that's what the sticker on the side of my Alpha Wolf says.

I called FR customer support for the Cherokee and they told my this package has upgraded rigid foam in the walls and ceiling. They said the floor has a combination of materials in the floor for insulation. I asked "What about the underbelly" and they said that has nothing. I said my water line froze at 19 degrees. They said we don't recommend below freezing temps. It only a three season camper. I said then why are you calling it Extreme weather Arctic Package? So the Arctic Package is only for use through October? Makes no sense to me. All I got was sorry you can get with a dealer for upgrades to the underbelly. Um, that's what I expected when I purchased the 'Extreme Weather Arctic Package'!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cdj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdj1990 View Post
Extreme Weather Arctic Package: that's what the sticker on the side of my Alpha Wolf says.

I called FR customer support for the Cherokee and they told my this package has upgraded rigid foam in the walls and ceiling. They said the floor has a combination of materials in the floor for insulation. I asked "What about the underbelly" and they said that has nothing. I said my water line froze at 19 degrees. They said we don't recommend below freezing temps. It only a three season camper. I said then why are you calling it Extreme weather Arctic Package? So the Arctic Package is only for use through October? Makes no sense to me. All I got was sorry you can get with a dealer for upgrades to the underbelly. Um, that's what I expected when I purchased the 'Extreme Weather Arctic Package'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm Florida Arctic?????

I am afraid to camp in ours at near freezing temps. Forest River Salem Cruiser Lite 201BHXL with all the tanks mounted to the under belly in the open.

Looking for a way to heat the outside tanks but nothing comes to mind.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #9

No body makes a TRUE 4 season trailer. Don't believe any of them. If it was built to do that you could not tow it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #10

Couple questions. Does the park have a faucet available to fill FW tank all winter? Heated shower house? We did our last trip in mid-Oct in MN and I had to run out to our storage facility and winterize my unit 3 days before we left. I left the TT winterized, picked up 8 gallons of pink stuff to flush toilet, a 6 gal water jug and two small tubs to do dishes. We basically dry camped all week w/ electric only hook up. Dumped the dishwater down the toilet or sink drain followed by pink stuff. Campground has water available (tall insulated box w/ door to get to spigot) all winter. Our overnight lows were upper 20's, daytime in 40's.
If you have tank heaters, and/or open duct into belly you might be able to keep stuff from freezing. I don't, and was worried about the low point drains and FW drain that all stick out below the belly, freezing. This was our first year with a TT, we tent camped when the kids were younger; so dry camping wasn't a big deal for my wife and I.
Good luck and have fun.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Been in cold conditions several times. 3deg once at the Grand Canyon February of 2014. I always just keep all slides closed and the furnace on. A small electric heater in the water bay good idea too. Low 20ties for a few hours should be very doable.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Team

I would winterize and use bottled water and park facilities just to be safe. Even with heated tanks and heat in the underbelly, you have water in plumbing that will be hanging out the bottom of the RV ( low point drains, Blk & Gry dump) and water in the outside shower unless you have shutoffs for it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
Rv Living Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
No body makes a TRUE 4 season trailer. Don't believe any of them. If it was built to do that you could not tow it.
Only way I see insulating everything underneath fully is if the RV sat in the same spot permanently.
nodebtpuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water