Old 07-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
New RV tips

Bringing home our new rv today! Excited but want to make sure we start out right.

Best way to protect decals?

Should we wax it right away? Best wax to use?

How to protect/keep clean interior carpet?

Roof- it is new but are there things we should do immediately to preserve it? Does covering it with something during storage help?

Any other tips that you can share to help us keep our rig in tip top shape from the start is appreciated

Mark and Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Great questions! We just bought our first TT two weeks ago and had not thought about the upkeep yet. I won't think that washing and waxing it this early could hurt it.

I am eager to see some responses. Happy camping!

mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
303 Aerospace is supposed to be the best "wax". I just ordered a gallon from Amazon. Now is the perfect time to get that first layer of protection on the decals/paint/gel coat.

Treat carpet as you would at home. We just bought a new Silverback fifth wheel, and it only has carpet at the slides, and the front bedroom....which is what we wanted.

I'm also studying the roof treatment issue, and will be looking forward to reading other posts on that topic.

Only suggestion is to learn as much as you can about the different systems; electrical, plumbing, suspension,..etc... The more you know, the better prepared you will be when something goes wrong. Also, by studying things like the wiring, I'm finding things like wire harnesses that need a little more support than was installed at the factory. I've used a couple dozen Ty wraps to securie things just a little better. I also installed a water filter at the kitchen sink faucet..this will be the coffee

Enjoy the new camper!

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
No wax at all on decals...will cause them to dry and crack prematurely. Aerospace 303 a great product for decals and plastics, great UV protectant, and really brings out and restores the color. It's expensive but a great's not a "wax", but a great UV inhibitor. Many also use it on the rubber seals of the slideouts to protect them as well and help keep them soft.
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Blackfire Wet Diamond is a polymer
sealant. It wont hurt the decals.
It is the best I have found and has
to be ordered online. You wont
be disappointed. Great for vehicles too.
A bit pricey but worth it.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Site Team
I have used Meguiar's NXT Tech wax 2.0 . Actually a polymer that wipes off easily and and cleans up nicely. Have used it for years on RV's ( w /decals ) with great results. Bugs and road dirt wash off easily.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
So do you use a wax too?
Mark and Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
There are many threads on RV forums of people using Floor shine from lowes. The original name was Red Max Pro 3. It is now Zep Wet Look. I tried it on the front of my 42 foot toy hauler. It took 5 coats but has held up 2 years now. There is a noticeable difference from front to back. It will take a lot of work to get the back clean. The front just wipe right off. The product is the same thing as the expensive automotive polymers just does not have the UV protecter in it. The front of my camper saw full time sun with no noticeable effect in 2 years. A link to one of the threads.

I used a 2x4 that would fit in a paint pan and wrapped a micro-fiber cloth around it. worked great.

Bodywork shine - Red Max Pro 3 no longer avail - ZEP is same product :-)
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
I used this
Costacoat 1 2 Gal Kit Wipe on Shine Rejevenate Fiberglass Gel Coat Restoration | eBay
On my faded/oxidized 2007 TT. It looked so good I traded it in (for a great price) on a 2016 226RBDS. Had done the whole wax/buff routine (colors bled out of decals into wax, looked dirty) this came with cleaner/wax remover, super fine 3M pad and polymer coating. Wipe on, no buffing and after 6 coats it looked like glass. Was also super easy to wash after. Took a little time because you need to wait 20 minutes between coats and was a bit of work, but results well worth the work. Happy camping, Greg.
Gmar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Get an ADCO cover, it will protect the roof, trailer and decals while in storage.

Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote