Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #1

Unhappy New Sunseeker is here...but many issues...

My husband picked up our new Sunseeker in Elkhart yesterday. A few issues were noticed during the inspection, like a small dent on the hood and some wires sticking out by the back slide (but it operated OK). These were noted by the "RV Direct" man who did the walk through. After getting the rig home and looking alot closer at everything, we are noticing lots of issues...here is a list:

Now the slide is not operating properly. It is a large slide and the left side (were the wires were showing) does not want to slide out and it causes the right side to "spin out".

There is a factory screw puncturing the front right tire.

There is an annoying high pitched sound we think is coming from the CO2 detector.

The screws used on the hamper door in the bathroom have pulled off....looks like the screws were way too short.

Three of the outside storage compartments had water in them (traveled through rainstorm on ride home).

The back window had water in the sill tray.

Lots of sloppy work like bad cuts in trim, bad joints where countertop was joined with the countertop trim, places where staples weren't covered with putty, ripples in the wall border, etc.

Not sure what to think....does this seem like a typical amount of problems in a new RV? I realize they will most likey be covered by warranty, but hate to miss out on camping/traveling time to have all of this corrected!!!

Wondering what all of you think about this.
bamzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #2

Your rv's shortcomings are all too typical of my new rv experiences. I love the back of the FR brochures that shows their quality control building. When do they use it?
We actually put large sticky notes at every shortcoming on the new unit before we drop off for warranty work. It's amazing how repairs can be overlooked or not found by the repairman.
Hopefully, most of your repairs will be easily corrected. So sorry you haven't had a better experience. I wonder if it will take some stricter consumer laws to change these situations? Good luck
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #3

Angry

I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied by the minute....I've been trying to get through to Forest River for 3 hours now....We were so excited to get this vehicle and now I'm so concerned....these issues are all ones that we can see, what about the things we can't see that could be safety issues? We will have our 5 children traveling in this vehicle and if seams, wires, screws, etc can't be put together correctly, what about propane tanks and lines, seatbelts, and slides where our children will be riding?

Any comments, advice???
bamzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamzmama View Post
I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied by the minute....I've been trying to get through to Forest River for 3 hours now....We were so excited to get this vehicle and now I'm so concerned....these issues are all ones that we can see, what about the things we can't see that could be safety issues? We will have our 5 children traveling in this vehicle and if seams, wires, screws, etc can't be put together correctly, what about propane tanks and lines, seatbelts, and slides where our children will be riding?

Any comments, advice???
Minor flaws are the norm unfortunately in the RV Business. But from your descriptions it appears the workmanship may be reaching a real low point. As for that screw in the tire, is it something stinking out that's into the tire or is it just a screw picked up in the tire? I'd start there and try to get it out if it's not all the way in where it would cause a leak. Have you called RVDirect? Maybe they can get through and help find someone close to you to address your concerns. The CO detector is most likely an old battery. I recently change mine and I needed to reset it by holding in the button for a few seconds and it stopped the chirping and has functioned fine since. There's any easy way to check your propane connections. Just take a little dish detergent and dilute with water. Mix it together but try to avoid shaking it where bubbles become present. Put the solution around the joints and look for bubbles. If no bubbles you should be good. Be sure the tank is on as well as the propane detector on as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #5

It seems a shame that they don't have a Lemon Law on RV's, as new cars do. And, it seems the quality control people just don't care at all about what goes out the door. Then folks wonder why there are so many foreign made vehicles! This is a darn good example!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
It seems a shame that they don't have a Lemon Law on RV's, as new cars do. And, it seems the quality control people just don't care at all about what goes out the door. Then folks wonder why there are so many foreign made vehicles! This is a darn good example!! Randy
You couldn't be more correct. When we picked up our coach back in 2006 we were so excited and a bit overwhelmed by everything. It wasn't until we got home and really had a chance to look at the coach that we made some disappointing discoveries. The wood dough used on the cabinets and slide surrounds didn't match at all. It was almost pink. I bought a cherry Min-Wax stick, dug out the old stuff with a scratch awl and replaced the putty. I found numerous holes where they drilled and missed something solid and just left the hole in the paneling. I have about 9 to 12 little round band-aid wallpaper stickers on them now. The oval mirror was a good 1-1/2" crooked to the left. Small things but for what you pay it was very disappointing. It sure would be interesting to see what they call a Quality Check really is.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Site Team

I know you are having a lot of issues!
It stinks that RVs are so low on the quality totem pole!

I always recommend that folks camp CLOSE by the dealer
before taking their new RV home if at all possible.
In fact it's best if you can stay on their lot over night.
You would be amazed at how many questions will come up as
well as things that need fixing.
If you are on their lot AND you haven't signed that last check,
they are much more agreeable to taking care of these items.

I hope it's not too far for you to take it back!
Good luck!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Here is my take on the whole situation. I don't own a motorhome, just a hybrid trailer, so what you are saying seems to be all the way through the Forest River organization. It would seem the only thing Forest River cares about is getting the product out of the manufacturing facility door as fast as possible, damn the quality control. In the case of my trailer, it was the holes "drilled" through the body for the marker light wiring. They were not so much drilled, as (it appeared) knocked through with a ball peen hammer, and the holes really only needed to be, at most, 3/4". Instead they were more like 1 1/4". The light assemblies barely covered the hole in a couple of spots. You know, stuff like that.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcct View Post
I don't own a motorhome, just a hybrid trailer, so what you are saying seems to be all the way through the Forest River organization. It would seem the only thing Forest River cares about is getting the product out of the manufacturing facility door as fast as possible, damn the quality control.
Unfortunately FR is not the only company guilty of this. In fact ALL of them are. You will find the same complaints about ANY RV out there. I have seen some really pissed off Fleetwood owners really angry Winnebago owners and so on and so , some not so flattering words from Safari owners, Georgie Boy, Thor, National, etc, etc, etc. It's too bad that this is really just an unregulated industry overseen by what amounts to the "fox guarding the hen house" RVIA.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Unfortunately FR is not the only company guilty of this. In fact ALL of them are. You will find the same complaints about ANY RV out there. I have seen some really pissed off Fleetwood owners really angry Winnebago owners and so on and so , some not so flattering words from Safari owners, Georgie Boy, Thor, National, etc, etc, etc. It's too bad that this is really just an unregulated industry overseen by what amounts to the "fox guarding the hen house" RVIA.
Well stated! You'd think with the competition getting smaller that the survivors would be making sure that their customers had nothing but praise for their products. I asked FR when I emailed a letter about all the stuff in my opinion was poor workmanship, "Why don't you send out surveys to your customers?" Never got an answer. I asked how do you know what you're doing right and where do you need to improve? I've owned 3 different manufacturer's products over the years. None of them sent anything to me after our purchase. I guess they're too busy looking for more cheap products to stick in their units that will drive their customers crazy. ie Concertone & Executive Home Theatre Systems come to mind.

I think we need a smiley with a hand holding it's nose.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #11

Yeah, I guess they build their products in the hope that the folks that purcase them won't stick their heads into all the dark corners and see the shoddy workmanship kind of like we have.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #12

I bought our SS3100 in March. We have major water leaks, the bunk in the nose cone was all wet and now smells. Our dealer is 100 miles away and is not even a dealer for FR anymore. I left a voice mail message last Friday, today is Wednesday and still no answer. Fortunately, we found a dealer in town who is tackling the leaks but he has no response from FR yet on approval to repair the wet wood. It is very frustrating to purchase something new and have problems with it from day one.
niedobry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My antenna cable doesn't even have the correct terminal to plug it into the Concert^&* unit. Just stripped the cable bare & stuck it into the unit's female socket. The local radio stations come in fine @ the dealer, so they had no way of knowing. Reception is lousy more than 20 miles out though (right now). I don't know if reception will be any better once we get the cable terminated properly.

I recall seeing an item in the news about 5 years ago about drug testing in a certain mfg's factories, giving a lot of positive results.

Reading the threads about shoddily built RVs you have to wonder if this isn't like the horror stories from the Big 3 back in the 70s & 80s? I guess FR figures if you don't like our product, you can go elsewhere.

My popup way as Jayco, but when I was looking @ a TT, I wasn't beholden to buy another Jayco. 1) There were some niggly problems w/ my trailer that I wasn't impressed w/. Once when I went to stow the hinged counter (holds stove & sink), the countertop became separated from the 4 sides. 2) They discontinued the floorplan I was interested in. 3) I was looking for a laminate clad unit (no aluminum siding) & they didn't have any in the size I wanted w/o slides. Only 1 or 2 of us traveling, so no need for the added complexity and/or cost.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Well I have only had our unit for a week,so maybe down the line I'll be groaning,but I've owned 2 Carriage and 1 Montana products, and this new Rockwood is head and shoulders above the 3 units I owned in fit and finish. I've got a few issues,but overall am pleased with the way this one is put together.
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:42 AM   #15

Here is an e-mail that might be helpful. His title is "Warrenty Manager". He did respond to us. And solved our problems.

"Josh S. Tackett" jtackett@forestriverinc.com

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote