Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

New tenant

I have acquired a new travel companion in the form of a mouse. Any ideas out there on how to serve an eviction notice?
av8ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ur View Post
I have acquired a new travel companion in the form of a mouse. Any ideas out there on how to serve an eviction notice?
Meow! That is a sure-fire eviction. Afterwards you may have to get a Bark! to get rid of that companion. It never ends. Good luck, I have seen those little buggers last a long time in some harsh conditions.

Honestly, I have no help other than my sympathy... Let us know how you resolve this.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #3

Just don't use poison. They can get in a wall ( and you won't know where ), die, and stink like you won't believe.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

I hate to say it but the old fashioned mouse trap still work pretty good. Load it up with cheese and it usually only takes one night. It use to bother me using them, but I got over that on the amount of damage they did on my last motorhome. We also had one that made a nest in the air cleaner of my wife's car. She was on her way to pick up her sister when the accelerator stuck and almost caused a serious wreck. I had the car towed home and took the throttle body off the car and found that part of a mouse nest had gotten sucked up into the throttle body and jammed the butterfly open. Good luck!
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Working at retired:D

Sticky or snap traps have worked for me in the past.
Wobbles meow works too ��

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2017 Ford F-250
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #6

I've read that a packing peanut will do in place of cheese, and won't attract any other despicable tenants. Good luck.

BTW, when there is one, there is usually several more....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #7

If you don't mind the smell, dryer sheets kept the little critters out of my Goldwing Motorcycle.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #8

A small piece of apple with peanut butter to hold it on the trap works well.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

I use traps, peanut butter with a chocolate chip embedded into it. Last week my wife saw one in our garage....40 minutes later it was no longer.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

We had the same problem in the rig and in our brick & mortar. Our pest control guys set traps with very small amounts of bait, seems lots of bait is just to much to activate the trap.
In our rig, I looked for every opening more than 1/8" and filled with expansion foam. This will take awhile, with a new rig from the last infestation I'm still finding small wire, pipe and utility holes to fill.
Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Ultra sonic pest repellers have done a good job keeping them at bay for us... The downside is you need AC power to use them.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

I just found more little ones that have found a home in our rig - even though I foamed and sealed extensively under the chassis and storage bays last year for the very same reason - mice!

I saw signs - little 'nut' shells that would have had no other reason to be in the main bay... it got my attention that something was amiss.

I normally use regular mouse throwaway wood traps, which work very well, but this time I 'upgraded' to the JAWS traps - reusable, too. And yes, just a small amount of peanut butter is plenty to get their attention...

Found one who met their demise the next day, and another the next, though only on one trap in the main bay - nothing in the wetbay(yet, anyway)...

interesting find, though... as I was moving stuff around on the water tank side of the wetbay, I found a nice little 'nest' made of wonderful and comfortable foam and some type of white paper, tissue, or paper towel bits... I gave them all they needed to have a nice comfortable little family there! I realized my mistake and now they have no more home to go back to, at least hopefully.

...and the daily checking of traps continues... the next step will be to start adding traps at both sides of each tire, which is where I believe the start their journey each evening... it worked very well last year, and I'm thinking it will work the same this time
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #13

Smile

Thank you all for the info. TT is now in outdoor storage. I have to go check it out for mouse droppings, if any. I've got the foam, Camper Al. It will probably take me years to get all the small openings filled. And so it goes
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

Thanks Former FR. Think I'll get a few Jawz traps. Gotta keep trying to get those little critters out of my TT. Told the DW about the issue. She wasn't too happy. Can't understand why.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #15
Just as confused as you

If you don't have an enclosed bottom on your RV, turn the lights on during a dark night and crawl around under it to see openings. You will have to open all cabinets and remove drawers. On enclosed bottoms it doesn't work at all.

I use 100% pure peppermint oil from the grower. I pour 1/2 inch in small glass bowls and set them around the TT in the fall. One each in bedroom and bathroom, 2 in living room / kitchen. This stuff is a lot stronger than Essence of Peppermint. If you take a breath over a open bottle it will take your breath away and knock you on your kester. It lasts all winter and doesn't smell too strong when we dewinterize in the spring. At approximately $25 to $40 a pint it is expensive, but will last several years.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote