Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Ditto. Hands on the bottom, move them in the direction you want to go. My brother is a fireman and they have those really big rigs. His instructor taught him well and he really helped me out. Now, I don't even think about it (much). Of course, I still have a problem backing up my small utility trailer. I simply have more control over the longer trailer and with it being so big, it forces me to take my time. One time, at a campground, as we were backing in, some "expert" made a comment to my wife about moving in slow motion. Her reply was, "so what, he gets in right the first time and this isn't a race!" That's what puts the Dear in DW.

2007 Surveyor SV291
Equil-I-zer hitch
2005 Durango Hemi
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
My wife and I will travel to Ohio tomorrow to pick up our new Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306.....we're very excited. When I called the campground near RV Wholesalers where we'll be staying, the office guy asked me if I'd ever backed up an RV before. "No," I responded. "Good," he said, I'm gonna sell tickets so we can all watch. We can use a good laugh." Wise guy!!!
Congrats on the new trailer!!!!!!
We ordered the same one a little over a month ago =]
I also am nervous about backing up etc......
Also we have to drive 4 hours to Toronto to pick it up, then drive home, and back-in to our small driveway.
There's nothing like learning on the 'fly'.
My husband and I will either be laughing the whole time or wanting to kill each other LOL
Good thing the 401 is straight 2 lane, and we will only have to exit it once!!!!!

Good-luck!!! & post some pics when you get it!!!!!!

2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Originally Posted by caper View Post

Rule #3: After you have positioned your towing vehicle and travel trailer, as best as possible, slowly begin to move backwards toward the parking location observing the progress from the mirrors only! You will notice that the travel trailer will tend to move toward one side or the other, almost immediately, as you begin to move backwards.
Now that sounds like something I can understand! Most of my backing up has been small, short trailers. I know longer is better as I had a 17' boat for a few years and had no problems with it - but I've always turned around to look to backup - I could see what I was doing which won't be the case with the TT so this is great advice! Now I want to go back up and see how this works!
Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
Originally Posted by THarlow View Post
20 years of doing this, and I have only 1 rule. Place your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hands in the direction you want to move the trailer. Don't think about it, just follow rule #1.
I am going to try to get used to using that rule, did not realize it until mentioned here, it sure does make sense...
2004 Chevy Avalanche Z66 W/Transmission Cooler
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
go slow and tell whoever is watching to yell STOP when your close to something. I always get out and look around and we decide where we want to park. my wife is really good at guiding me back- I tell her to talk to me as we back up so I know what is going on. sometimes I need her to watch the right or left side and sometimes the front of the truck until we are clear of the campsite markers or trees.
one situation I got into was the GPS had me turn down the old road to the state park. we stopped about a 200 feet (my truck and trailer are 55 feet long) down the road and had to back up to get out. it was up hill slow right turn and then a left turn and back out on to the 2 lane road (50 mph speed limit) went smooth and no traffic
don't let it frustrate you its all part of the experience!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Just remember when backing up there are a few things to keep it a little bit easier. Always have a spotter to help guide you, drop your hand to the bottom of the steering wheel and what ever way you want the trailer to go that is the way you turn the wheel, sometimes it is better for your spotter to stand in front of you and do a walk around every now and then. Remember the bigger the trailer the easier it is to back up believe it or not!! It will come to all with some practice. The worst is getting to a campground and you have to get your TT into a lot that requires you to pretty much jacknife it into place because the roads at most campgrounds are not that wide and if someone is already in the lot across from yours it is sometime not possible to do it, a lot of campgrounds do have people working for them that will assist you if needed and some even have tractors available for those hard to get into lots so all you do is unhook and let them get it in a lot easier with the tractor hooked up to your TT. A friend of mine once said "If you put a hook up somehow on the front of your truck you could just unhook and rehook to the front and just drive it in." It probably would work but I don't think that I want a hitch with a ball mounted on the front of my truck!!!!
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2003 F150 Heritage Edition
Ontario, Canada

shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Originally Posted by THarlow View Post
20 years of doing this, and I have only 1 rule. Place your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hands in the direction you want to move the trailer. Don't think about it, just follow rule #1.
Good advice, I was just going to post the same thing Backing up is simple if you keep your head clear and follow this one simple rule.
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Find a big empty parking lot, and practice, practice, practice.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Site Team
Lots of good advise provided! I think I need work on number 3 (if I remember correctly) since I can't line the Yukon and trailer up straight first.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote