Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #1

New Verizon offering

Verizon has introduced a “new” data plan y’all might find useful. $70 a month ($65 with autopay) gets you unlimited data via a Jetpack/MiFi thingy. Based on past experience with Verizon I don’t think the offering will last too long, but once you have it you should be able to keep it as long as you pay the bill. One does not have to be a current Verizon customer to get it.

The plan was introduced simultaneously with the release of the 8800L Jetpack. That device is $199 ($99 with a two year contract). The plan is only for Jetpack type units and won’t work for phones or tablets. Since it’s so new most store reps don’t know about it, and online chat personnel know even less. Just tell the store rep you want the 8800 and data plan #28366.

I’ve had my device a couple weeks now and have intentionally done a lot of streaming. So far I’ve used 120 gig with no problem at all. As with all similar plans it is subject to “network management”, meaning temporary and fluctuating speed reductions only when on highly congested towers after 22 gig of use.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #2

once you get past 15 gigs the speed slows down . i have had verizon for many many years i have the jet pack and my phone both unlimited for 110 a month total
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I just wrote a long post a few minutes ago in another topic thread here about the Verizon JetPack Mifi...

I have the MiFi 7730L...

This is the first I've heard of this new plan...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
once you get past 15 gigs the speed slows down . i have had verizon for many many years i have the jet pack and my phone both unlimited for 110 a month total
With most VZ plans that is correct. This plan only slows after 22g AND on a congested tower. Even with my use over 100 gig speedtest is still showing download in excess of 30 mbps.

The only time I’ve encountered network management (I have an AT&T plan with same limits) was at the Bristol Nascar race where the were several thousand RVs within ten miles of the closest tower. But, in that case no cellphones were working very well.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I just wrote a long post a few minutes ago in another topic thread here about the Verizon JetPack Mifi...

I have the MiFi 7730L...

This is the first I've heard of this new plan...
The plan will work on the 7730. Lotsa folks switching. Better hurry before they stop offering it. The AT&T Mobley was only offered for five months before it was withdrawn. Fortunately I got in on it and still have it at $20 a month. Adding the Verizon plan to my arsenal should just about eliminate any need for campground Wi-Fi.

Hey moderators, consider merging this thread with the one mentioned by JohnD10. The subject is just about the same.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
With most VZ plans that is correct. This plan only slows after 22g AND on a congested tower. Even with my use over 100 gig speedtest is still showing download in excess of 30 mbps.

The only time I’ve encountered network management (I have an AT&T plan with same limits) was at the Bristol Nascar race where the were several thousand RVs within ten miles of the closest tower. But, in that case no cellphones were working very well.
emm-dee is right. It’s subject to network management (I’m busy areas) but it does NOT throttle at 15gb. www.rvmobileinternet.com broke the story and has been tracking it. Seems like a great unlimited data option!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
emm-dee is right. It’s subject to network management (I’m busy areas) but it does NOT throttle at 15gb. www.rvmobileinternet.com broke the story and has been tracking it. Seems like a great unlimited data option!
guess it's time to call verizon . my current plan is unlimted up slows at 15 gig . making the call now .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm taking my Jetpack in to see about a warranty issue with it today so I will check into the new plan.

Also, I've not found Verizon to NOT slow down the speed the second the usage hits 15GB on the Mifi.

Never fails...they always drop the speed no matter where I've been.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm taking my Jetpack in to see about a warranty issue with it today so I will check into the new plan.

Also, I've not found Verizon to NOT slow down the speed the second the usage hits 15GB on the Mifi.

Never fails...they always drop the speed no matter where I've been.
Not sure how changing the plans works with Verizon. I never get any contract plans. Not worth saving $99. I know with AT&T you can change plans at will, but if you go to a lower quality plan you can’t go back if the better plan is no longer offered.

It has been verified through several sources that the VZ 28366 plan, Mobley and Netbuddy plans are never “hard throttled”. They are only subject to network management, which hardly ever happens.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

Chatting with Verizon now and the rep seems unable to look up this plan number. Anybody else experience this?
velvethippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvethippie View Post
Chatting with Verizon now and the rep seems unable to look up this plan number. Anybody else experience this?
That's been reported a few times on rvmobileinternet.com's forums. Disconnect and try a new rep.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvethippie View Post
As epeny says, online reps seem to be clueless about this plan. Actually, they are usually clueless about everything. You should go direct to a VZ store. DO NOT go to one of the “authorized” stores. They are only interested in the $$$.

When starting this service make sure it is a prepaid plan. If it’s postpaid, meaning you get the bill afterwards, then you are probably getting suckered into a contract.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

As an update, I went to our local store and purchased the Jetpack 8800 with the prepaid plan as described. The guys at the store weren't even aware this was offered but had no problem looking it up under their prepaid plans. They all agreed it was a great deal.

I actually wanted this for my home network, since all we have available to us in our rural locale is very unreliable 10mbps DSL through Windstream. I work from home full time. We've been up and running on the Verizon Jetpack with ALL of my home devices, including 3 security cameras, 2 apple TVs, Dish DVR, three computers, two printers, and a garage door opener. Surprised to report that it's worked quite well!

Devices do occasionally drop the signal, but only for a few seconds. Download speeds are anywhere from 40mbps-70mbps ... upload around 5mbps ... which is a huge improvement over the lousy 6-8mbps down/<1mpbs up I was getting with the DSL, so that has been great!

I haven't canceled the Windstream yet, but so far, IMO if it works for me with this kind of demand, this would be a solid network for full time RV'ers (if the Verizon network suits your travels).
Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
ML6

Just wondering if this is still working up to your expectations?
GO BIG RED
ML6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 AM   #15

I now use it for my home WiFi full time (I work from home). It does kick all devices off several times a day, but it only lasts a few minutes. The speed is way better than the DSL I was paying $20 more for.