Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Newbie Qs: Preventing items from shifting in cabinets

Does anyone be know of tips or tricks to secure items in cabinets for travel? I really don't want to have to box up all the dishes, coffee cups, etc. from the cabinets and pantry every time we tow the TT.

2015 Flagstaff 27rlws Emerald Package
2013 F-150 5.0 Platinum Screw 4x4
Teksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksyn View Post
Does anyone be know of tips or tricks to secure items in cabinets for travel? I really don't want to have to box up all the dishes, coffee cups, etc. from the cabinets and pantry every time we tow the TT.
Think about what you just said - "box up ..."

You can use open cardboard boxes, plastic tubs, milk crates ... to divide up your cabinets and cupboards. Keeps similar things together, and prevents them from moving around. By facing the open end of carton / crate forwards, doesn't really affect getting stuff in and out.

We even use a re-purposed computer monitor riser to stash cups and mugs underneath, and then plates on top. Then we pack paper plates on top of that. Yes, inserting soft stuff here and there is your friend.

Also consider, no-slip material on the bottom of cupboards, shelves, etc.

Of course, we pretty much live with plastic / acrylic / melamine - Jeff wants for his favourite coffee mugs, but ... he doesn't want them smashed in a billion pieces either.

The Cast-Iron Skillet and Dutch Oven ride on floor level of a low cabinet.

We haul a lot of distilled water around for various reasons ... so those go in milk crates 4x gallons at a time. Put the empty back in when taking next fresh, magic marker 'X' shows it's a dead horse. So they don't flop around when only 1-2 full ones left in a crate. Can use the 'X' jugs for non-distilled or non-potable water, too.

To an extent ... packing is a sort of a jigsaw puzzle ... or Jenga, or Tetris, call it what you wants ...

(EDIT) And - these things have gobs of uses:
Attached Images

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

We use baby locks on all cabinets. I'll grab pic.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

Baby locks.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170703_145255.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	143494
Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
Think about what you just said - "box up ..."

You can use open cardboard boxes, plastic tubs, milk crates ... to divide up your cabinets and cupboards. Keeps similar things together, and prevents them from moving around. By facing the open end of carton / crate forwards, doesn't really affect getting stuff in and out.

We even use a re-purposed computer monitor riser to stash cups and mugs underneath, and then plates on top. Then we pack paper plates on top of that. Yes, inserting soft stuff here and there is your friend.

Also consider, no-slip material on the bottom of cupboards, shelves, etc.

Of course, we pretty much live with plastic / acrylic / melamine - Jeff wants for his favourite coffee mugs, but ... he doesn't want them smashed in a billion pieces either.

The Cast-Iron Skillet and Dutch Oven ride on floor level of a low cabinet.

We haul a lot of distilled water around for various reasons ... so those go in milk crates 4x gallons at a time. Put the empty back in when taking next fresh, magic marker 'X' shows it's a dead horse. So they don't flop around when only 1-2 full ones left in a crate. Can use the 'X' jugs for non-distilled or non-potable water, too.

To an extent ... packing is a sort of a jigsaw puzzle ... or Jenga, or Tetris, call it what you wants ...

(EDIT) And - these things have gobs of uses:
Love those too ! keep a bag of them in my tool box.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We've learned to, also, travel with as few breakable things as possible so most of our dishes are hard plastic and we also have a stash of disposable dishes/silverware for when we are dry (boondock) camping or camping with just electrical hookups.

We do like coffee so we bought a Mr. Coffee just for the RV and keep it inside the original container whenever we are traveling...hasn't broken in three years!

We haven't had issues with cabinet doors opening up while traveling nor with the slide out steps as some have reported. (But if we do, some bungee cords would work great.)
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #7

I second the non-skid material in shelves. We also use as much non-breakable as possible.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #8

I find 'pool noodles' are my friend...they are very handy to curb movement in several situations.

Best place to get pool noodles is the Dollar stores.

They can be cut and shaped to fit many items in cabinets.

Not sure how you have your dishes but ours are Correll stored in a wire dish rack at an angle, no movement on the rubber coated matting.

Items in drawers can have strips of pool noodle weaved amongst them like a snake for cans and jars to stop breakage.

Protect furniture from movement damage going down the road with cut & fitted pieces of pool noodles.

Don't forget the microwave... Cut a piece of pool noodle to fit snuggly vertically from the turntable to he inside top to save your glass turntable... believe me ... they can find their way out and smash into bits.

Also the noodles are useful in the outside storage lockers to save chafe on items and stop rattles.

I will end by saying I do not have shares in any pool noodle manufacturing or sales companies.... but maybe I should

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #9

built this for ours

before Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet mod 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	560.9 KB
ID:	145882

after Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet mod 2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	145883
Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #10

cut various lengths ... 6" x 2" thick foam rubber and stuff in cabinets when traveling... works great.

Tags