Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstork View Post
I'm considering adding the Wingman to the antenna on our Lexington, but if I do, it looks like the new extension will protrude over the edge of the roof by a good many inches when the antenna is down. To fix this, can the antenna be switched the opposite side of the mount so that the Wingman would then sit completely on the roof when lowered?

No. There is no way to mount the Wingman "Backwards" on the amplifier body. I am not sure if it is possible to mount the existing Winegard antenna on the other side of the mast. The Wingman will only mount as shown on the control amplifier.

Replacing the Antenna head you have with one of the newer ones from King Controls might be your only option.

King Controls Jack TV For Free OA8000 VHF UHF Amplified TV RV Antenna (OA-8000) - King Controls - OA-8000 - Antennas for RVs&sku=

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstork View Post
I'm considering adding the Wingman to the antenna on our Lexington, but if I do, it looks like the new extension will protrude over the edge of the roof by a good many inches when the antenna is down. To fix this, can the antenna be switched the opposite side of the mount so that the Wingman would then sit completely on the roof when lowered?
You cannot mount the Wingman on the mast side of the antennae. But I read somewhere that you can cut the Wingman to make it shorter......there are no wires in there. The shorter Wingman probably won't work as well cut down, but should still improve the reception some.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

While it might work (I doubt it though as the elements are tuned) for 20 bucks more you can replace the whole shooting match with an amplified antenna head direct replacement that works as well as the augmented basic winegard/Wingman combination.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #34

For the rest of us who cant afford a satellite antennae or service contract there are ways to do this if you are not smart like me. I graduated 8th grade after all! I bought a TV for $300 that had a signal meter if you can figure out how to get to it. My husband-in-law graduated 6th grade and he couldn't do it...

Once you get someone to turn on the signal meter for you just start crankin' that thing around SLOWLY until you peak the meter.

Dang, wonder where I could have gone if I went to high school!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41railbuggy View Post
For the rest of us who cant afford a satellite antennae or service contract there are ways to do this if you are not smart like me. I graduated 8th grade after all! I bought a TV for $300 that had a signal meter if you can figure out how to get to it. My husband-in-law graduated 6th grade and he couldn't do it...

Once you get someone to turn on the signal meter for you just start crankin' that thing around SLOWLY until you peak the meter.

Dang, wonder where I could have gone if I went to high school!!!
That would be a handy feature on any "over the air" television broadcast.
Since the new broadcasts are all digital and directional, these signal meters should become more common and are certainly helpful.

FYI, digital and high definition TV has not one thing to do with satellites or subscriptions. It is like "old" TV; just better.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #36

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
That would be a handy feature on any "over the air" television broadcast.
Since the new broadcasts are all digital and directional, these signal meters should become more common and are certainly helpful.

FYI, digital and high definition TV has not one thing to do with satellites or subscriptions. It is like "old" TV; just better.
Yep, I'm old enough that I cut my teeth on B&W TV LOL!

I have not paid for cable or satellite in quite a while. Get about 25-30 channels around Tampa Bay area and the quality is as good or better than cable HD plus you get all the channel info etc. now since it went digital. Who says things never get better
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

I have not paid for cable or satellite in quite a while. Get about 25-30 channels around Tampa Bay area and the quality is as good or better than cable HD plus you get all the channel info etc. now since it went digital. Who says things never get better
You are very lucky to be in a high density broadcast area.
Others are not so lucky.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #38

Yes I know. I grew up with 2 channels of B&W in mountains of NE GA...high tech though. We had a rotor to turn the antennae automatically between the two stations!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh yeah. I remember traveling to a cousins house in 1969 to watch the moon landing in color......come to find out, the moon walk was in black and white.

Quote:
We disconnected from cable after 1 too many bill increases. I have a $100 antennae on a 12' pole beside my house, and get about 20 channels, including some from about 80 miles away with a small mountain in between.....don't know how that is happening, but I ain't complaining. The over air picture is much better than the cable picture.

I looked into switching to an antennae after realizing I could get 23 channels in my RV sitting by the house......of course that antennae is rotational, so I could get more channels with that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The over air picture is much better than the cable picture.
This is because over the air broadcasting is digital AND High Definition. If your TV is High Def; you will get a high def image.

Without a cable box (rental) AND the "High Def Package" (extra money) option, you are getting a down sampled low (standard) def analog picture that is stretched out to fit your screen.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW