Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Outdoor Movie Screen

Not sure if this is a tip / trick, or where this belongs. Please help move if necessary.

A couple years ago, I decided it would be awesome to show movies to our youth group on Youth Group Camping Trips (My wife is our church's Full Time Director of Christian Education) I got this idea from a friend who made a make shift movie screen in his basement using king sized sheets.

I took two Walmart brand king sized sheets. We just bought the top sheets, one black, and one white. We sewed them together, with a pocket at the top for a board to hang the unit by and a stitch down the middle to help hold the sheets together. I bought a premium 1x2 (completely straight and sanded) and inserted it through the top pocket, and I use standard awning light hangers / hooks to hang the screen. I used fishing string around the board but I did buy a couple of small eye-hook screws so I can hook it up with those (if I would ever screw them into the board). The whole set-up weighs less then 7 pounds so it doesn't hurt the awning at all. The reason to use a white sheet and a black is so the white projects the image, the black keeps it from continuing. There are some weights sewn into the bottom to keep it from blowing, but if I made a new one, I'd install a packet at the bottom where I could install another board similar to the top, and use tent stakes to keep the wind from moving it.

For the projector, I bought a cheap unit off the internet, and then use an old computer speaker set with subwoofer. We usually use the laptop to play movies/dvd's, or our iphones or ipad if the movie we wish to watch has been ripped to those devices. We bought a cable for the ipad/iphones from Best Buy. We also bought a digital tv converter and use that with the projector for football games or other network tv. We have Dish Network HD as well, but usually only set-up if raining and if raining... usually not outside on the screen.

The whole thing takes about 10-15 minutes to set-up wish it was quicker, but you still have a few things to connect. I have also thought about buying (off Craigslist) a dvd / home theater set-up as they seem to be selling for around 100.00. I think they would sound better then the computer speakers and you get a dvd all in one combo which might take 5 minutes or so off the set-up time.

Nothing like watching a movie or sporting event on 107" out camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8926.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	15667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8927.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	15668  

cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Great idea. Thanks for sharing

Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou
An elegant solution and will go into my "future mod" bag.

Which projector did you buy?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Good choice on the speakers. This altec Lansing sets are awesome. I still use the set at home that came with my first Dell computer 12 years ago. Even bought another used set off eBay for the office.
2011 FR Rockwood Premiere A126 Hard Side
TV=2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Dr
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
cogito ergo moo
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
An elegant solution and will go into my "future mod" bag.

Which projector did you buy?
my epson 8350 would light that up like no tomorrow, but aint no way I'm gonna pack it around. I bet you could get a decent used projector off craigslist for less that $150

If you want new, an AAXA M2 would be a great little travel projector, at around $320

AAXA Projectors: AAXA M2 LCoS projector

I would highly recommend an actual projector screen over bedsheets. A good, tensioned (no wrinkles) Da-Lite is only about $100.

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
Temporarily Camperless
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote

led pad