Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
That maybe true in the South,,,
But nobody better try that up here !!!
pec pipes or not !!!
I am with You! Youroo!!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I am with You! Youroo!!
Won't be long we will be freezing our backsides off !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #23
llr

In addition to suggestions above l saw a post about placing a roll of TP on the floor where you can see it from the door. Then open the door periodically and look at the paper, if you have mice it will be obvious and you can deal with it early to minimize damage.
I also use the mint oil to reduce the chance of mice.

As to dealers not covering, they are not concerned about long term and a camper in good condition will make it through the winter without a cover. I only covered 1 camper, I didn't trust the roof to not leak.
I have an enclosed space now which should be the best option.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #24

Mice do love TP & Fachel Tissue !!!
Ordered a RV port yesterday to keep Sunny out of the weather !!!
LOL !!!
Old 09-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
My take is to cover it and expect about 3 years life with the cover. Any way to keep water off during winter will minimize potential damage. A 1/8 inch split or crack in all forms of caulking will cause unseen water damage. Use pink antifreeze to protect plumbing as blowing it out may leave residual water in some places. If your vents can be opened (i have max air covers) leave them open for ventilation. Disconnect and remove battery. Just my opinion, everyone else may have different results.
I agree, we tried covering our camper when we bought new through the winters, and we got about 3 years out of the cover. The sun, wind, and cold will just destroy it over it time. Now we winterize it, remove almost anything that isn't nailed down, leave mouse repellent in the camper(doesn't work 100% but does help, disconnect the battery. Also usually lube the stabilization jacks and slide out gear. No longer cover it.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #26

There is no reason to remove batteries from the rig (not house not starting). It'll make sense to disconnect them, to avoid any possible current leakage. Any battery has self discharge current, however that self discharge current goes down with the temperature. In other words if the temperature goes down self discharge current will go down as well. The only thing to watch for is the stage of the battery - it should be fully charged (or close to it) - electrolyte should have proper density that it would not freeze. It will obviously bust the battery if it'll freeze. I do charge my batteries once a month as well, but I know that it's overkill. They can stay disconnected for 6 month with no problem if they started a winter with full charge.
1984 Catalina 36 hull 268 (sailboat)
2017 Coachmen Freelander Micro 20CB
Ford Transit 350 HD cutaway chassis.
C36hull268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
Like new is suggestive anyway. You may think yours is like new, the buyer wont, because its not new.

We can put one owner, non smoker however.

I have been a trailer owner for 18 years now, and have seen tons of trailers camping. Some are beat to crap, some look like new, or are new.

I dont think not waxing my trailer makes it any worse than a trailer that is waxed. Like I said, I do maintain it, and it is washed. I do alot to maintain it, it still takes me an entire day to do things. As in condition/wash the rubber roof. I know many dont do that, but thats more a making things last item.

Some may have the time to "wax" their rig, all the power to them. I dont and it doesnt bother me

And all the trailers I have traded in the past, not waxing them didnt lower or add to my trade in value. They saw it was still in good shape. Do you think dealers wax each rig thats sitting out on their lot?
I have been using this for the last 6 years on a camper that was new in 2011 and the camper does look like new. I can do the entire camper (27 foot camper) in about an hour. Just spray and wipe no wash before hand. Just an idea for you if you are interested. https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Was...+and+wax+spray
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #28

This spring my Grandson & I used a spray on Polish from Mothers !!!
Spray on wipe off,,, very easy,,, nice shine,,, makes unit easy to wash !!!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
This spring my Grandson & I used a spray on Polish from Mothers !!!
Spray on wipe off,,, very easy,,, nice shine,,, makes unit easy to wash !!!
Yes it does, also helps in preventing black streaks since the water beads up and runs off. And should you get any black streaks a quick spray and wipe with the same product and they come right off. I have been using the product I mentioned on the camper at the campground and have had other campers come over to check it out.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
Yes it does, also helps in preventing black streaks since the water beads up and runs off. And should you get any black streaks a quick spray and wipe with the same product and they come right off. I have been using the product I mentioned on the camper at the campground and have had other campers come over to check it out.
I will always wash unit before I polish,,, as long as I am able too !!!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #31

I do not think "dry wash" make sense. Surface for sure needs to be washed first. If you do not wash it sand particles that are on the surface will scratch the paint as you wipe it and the surface will eventually get dull. Just common sense.
1984 Catalina 36 hull 268 (sailboat)
2017 Coachmen Freelander Micro 20CB
Ford Transit 350 HD cutaway chassis.
C36hull268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by C36hull268 View Post
I do not think "dry wash" make sense. Surface for sure needs to be washed first. If you do not wash it sand particles that are on the surface will scratch the paint as you wipe it and the surface will eventually get dull. Just common sense.
Agreed, but I don't have that luxury since our camper is stored at the campground, and once on a site they don't allow washing of the campers. Of course they will do it for you for a fee. That's why I use that spray on wipe off wash and wax. It is water based and designed to be use on aircraft. It only takes an hour or less for me to do the entire camper and I usually do it every time we use the camper.

BTW hope we are not hijacking this thread.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
Agreed, but I don't have that luxury since our camper is stored at the campground, and once on a site they don't allow washing of the campers. Of course they will do it for you for a fee. That's why I use that spray on wipe off wash and wax. It is water based and designed to be use on aircraft. It only takes an hour or less for me to do the entire camper and I usually do it every time we use the camper.

BTW hope we are not hijacking this thread.
I might hire them to wash & wax once a year,,, depending on how much they charge,,, and how good a job they would do !!!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #34

Winterize? What is that? We camp as much in the fall and winter as we do in the spring and summer. I live and camp in Central Texas.
2018 Ram 2500
2014 Spark
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #35
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondrej View Post
Winterize? What is that? We camp as much in the fall and winter as we do in the spring and summer. I live and camp in Central Texas.
Spend a winter in New England and you'll learn.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #36

We have caves that you can store them in here for the winter. You don't drive them in, just drop it off and they pull it in for you. Call them a few days ahead and they pull it out for you. Caves are at 55 year round and these are dry not drippy.

I still winterize because you never know when you will want to pull it out what the weather will be.

The only real problem is it is 40min away so I store outside in season 10min away.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Spend a winter in New England and you'll learn.
Thank you for the invite, but I am good.
2018 Ram 2500
2014 Spark
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter