Old 09-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Over wintering what does everyone else think is best?

Just purchased new Viking 16rbd and wanted to know how everyone overwinters their rig. I'm going to winterize it this weekend. I'd like to cover it, I was a little worried about trapping moisture inside. One friend told me to buy something that absorbs moisture & place inside in a few places, another told me his dad just leaves a window cracked to keep inside/ outside air temperatures equal. I'd like to hear what experiences have taught you all. I live in North Western Pennsylvania so it gets cold and snowy and we are prone to up and down temps. throughout the winter. Thanks to all!

kwatt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatt57 View Post
Just purchased new Viking 16rbd and wanted to know how everyone overwinters their rig. I'm going to winterize it this weekend. I'd like to cover it, I was a little worried about trapping moisture inside. One friend told me to buy something that absorbs moisture & place inside in a few places, another told me his dad just leaves a window cracked to keep inside/ outside air temperatures equal. I'd like to hear what experiences have taught you all. I live in North Western Pennsylvania so it gets cold and snowy and we are prone to up and down temps. throughout the winter. Thanks to all!
I live near Elkhart, rv capital of the world, and not one camper of any kind sitting on the dealers/manufacturers lots is covered during our winter months. My last 3 campers have always spent the winter uncovered and I have never had a problem.

latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

Have tried dessicant. What a waste. Get a dehumidifier and leave it plugged in. If you can run the drain hose outside it will keep the insidr nice and dry.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

My take is this, Mr Sun is the Bad Guy,Tires/Plastic parts/Decals/paint,add to this Mr Freezing Water that has Ice Power! It is Your unit,Your choice how to "Keep it Nice"! Don't forget about Leaves/Green Mold/Black Streaks/Hail/Top edge of your Awning and Slide Covers also! Youroo!!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
My take is this, Mr Sun is the Bad Guy,Tires/Plastic parts/Decals/paint,add to this Mr Freezing Water that has Ice Power! It is Your unit,Your choice how to "Keep it Nice"! Don't forget about Leaves/Green Mold/Black Streaks/Hail/Top edge of your Awning and Slide Covers also! Youroo!!

Gotta love it!

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatt57 View Post
I have owned three motor homes and a few travel trailers.
I winterize my unit for water, take out the battery/s and don't open the door again to it till the spring.
You don't need to do another thing.
These were all in norther IL, about the same weather you have
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

My take is to cover it and expect about 3 years life with the cover. Any way to keep water off during winter will minimize potential damage. A 1/8 inch split or crack in all forms of caulking will cause unseen water damage. Use pink antifreeze to protect plumbing as blowing it out may leave residual water in some places. If your vents can be opened (i have max air covers) leave them open for ventilation. Disconnect and remove battery. Just my opinion, everyone else may have different results.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #8

I live in Manitoba. Our 2011 has never been covered and we've had no issues.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I have owned three motor homes and a few travel trailers.
I winterize my unit for water, take out the battery/s and don't open the door again to it till the spring.
You don't need to do another thing.
These were all in norther IL, about the same weather you have
Really? I feel sorry for the poor mice not getting any fresh air regularly.

I do basically the same except my batteries remain in the camper. Until solar, I ran my cheap harbor freight generator to top off the batteries once a month for about 6 hours (a full tank of fuel). Now, with 600 watts of solar, I don't do a darn thing to the batteries.

My RV storage lot has about 400 RVs in it. I counted only 3 RVs with a cover on them.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

If you have vent covers you can leave your vents open some,,,
many of us use DampRid !!!
I am hoping to have an RV Port built ???
Looking like 5000 + !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

Thankfully we have a covered storage space so I don't have to worry about the sun, or rain, or snow, or hail. But as for moisture, we do nothing. Never an issue for us.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
Prime Member

Here is our winterizing process.

1. Drain the FW tank and water heater.
2. Blow out the water lines with compressed air.
3. Pump antifreeze in the plumbing.
4. Completely empty and clean the camper.
5. Place Damp Rid and pest control through out the interior.
6. Close slides.
7. Raise stabilizers.
8. Remove batteries.
9. Cover

We will also enter the camper about once a month over the winter to check and replace the Damp Rid and pest control if needed.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control

Forever in my memory and in my heart. Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #13

If you have an onboard Generator they say you should run it every month !!!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #14

I never do, never had, and never will. Why, because no matter how well you take care of these things, something goes wrong. Over the years reading stories of people that do everything they can to maintain their rig, and something still goes on it.

Not that I dont maintain anymore, but Ive drawn a line on what I do now. I have NEVER waxed my trailers, ever. I have used the wash and wax solution for trailers however, but I have never waxed my rig. Its huge, and would be an entire day job. And for what? So the next guy gets a nice new rig because of my hard work. Wont matter worth a **** on trade in anyway. So the decals wont peel maybe, even then, who cares. Mine are, meh.

I live in southern Alberta, and out of the city, so a cover would just be torn to shreds anyway.

I wish I had a Quonset for storage, but they arent cheap.
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #15

Spidy,I am guessing yours won't be listed as "Like New,1 owner,Non smoker,No Pets"! Youroo!!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Spidy,I am guessing yours won't be listed as "Like New,1 owner,Non smoker,No Pets"! Youroo!!
Like new is suggestive anyway. You may think yours is like new, the buyer wont, because its not new.

We can put one owner, non smoker however.

I have been a trailer owner for 18 years now, and have seen tons of trailers camping. Some are beat to crap, some look like new, or are new.

I dont think not waxing my trailer makes it any worse than a trailer that is waxed. Like I said, I do maintain it, and it is washed. I do alot to maintain it, it still takes me an entire day to do things. As in condition/wash the rubber roof. I know many dont do that, but thats more a making things last item.

Some may have the time to "wax" their rig, all the power to them. I dont and it doesnt bother me

And all the trailers I have traded in the past, not waxing them didnt lower or add to my trade in value. They saw it was still in good shape. Do you think dealers wax each rig thats sitting out on their lot?
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #17

I wash/wax/treat tires and roof/flush/deep clean inside/cover with All Climate cover. RV covers are designed to breath to keep moisture out. My new one has vents that release the air if wind gets under it. If using a regular "Tarp" only cover the roof and not the entire trailer. Tarps will trap moisture inside...and you don't want that. I keep windows cracked when I put cover on to allow air flow thru trailer all winter long.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #18

I don't think Like New is a good term to use !!!
Most used RVs are in better condition than New,,,
Because we have worked the bugs out !!!
So maybe they should be listed as Better Than New ???
I do believe a coat of Polish every year is a Good thing,,,
I sure helps to keep it clean !!!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
Ambassador

I live on the south I just drain the water out throw some damp rid in, and come back in 2 weeks to dewinterize. No antifreeze is needed especially with the pec pipes they use now.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
I live on the south I just drain the water out throw some damp rid in, and come back in 2 weeks to dewinterize. No antifreeze is needed especially with the pec pipes they use now.
That maybe true in the South,,,
But nobody better try that up here !!!
pec pipes or not !!!

Tags
winter