Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Overnight camping

We are going to take a trip from Colorado to Oregon, making two overnight stops. I am new to trailering and was wondering if I can leave my trailer hitched to my truck overnight? Or is it better to unhitch it?

I have an EZ Lift hitch, 10,000#, a 2007 Rockwood 28'trailer and a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4 wheel drive.

Thank you for your suggestions
Old 04-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

You should have no problems, just make sure you're as close to level as possible for the fridge, etc. On a travel trailer I would probably run the tongue jack down a bit to take some of the load off my rear shocks but others have done it without worrying about it. I would still chock the wheels on the camper.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

Thank you

Thank you for the info, especially about lowering the trailer to take weight off the back wheels.

Lance
Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowl1952 View Post
Thank you for the info, especially about lowering the trailer to take weight off the back wheels.

Lance
imo, not a good idea to put down the tongue jack when stopping for a few hours, you will be fine. Been stopping for overnights for 30 years at many places and times. Never unhooked or let down the tongue jack. Multiple things could happen and you could put a lot of stress on the jack, but the main thing is if you forget and get in a hurry to leave and leave it down..... ooops.

imo, leave the jack up. Blocking the wheels are fine, you will not do as much damage when you forget about them and run them over the next morning when you leave.

Don't say,'it will never happen'.... one day it will.....

Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Insert witty title here

When I stop even for just a quick overnight at Walmart, there's a few things I do.

1. Level the trailer
2. Lower the stabilizing jacks
3. Open the slides
4. Lower the tongue jack just enough to take the weight off the truck
5. Plug into the generator I carry in the back of my truck but leave it off. (My generator has a wireless start so if I want power first thing in morning for any reason, I just push a button.)

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
When I stop even for just a quick overnight at Walmart, there's a few things I do.

1. Level the trailer
2. Lower the stabilizing jacks
3. Open the slides
4. Lower the tongue jack just enough to take the weight off the truck
5. Plug into the generator I carry in the back of my truck but leave it off. (My generator has a wireless start so if I want power first thing in morning for any reason, I just push a button.)

I did all above. One should always do a walk-around "pre-flight" before driving a camper away.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Always Learning

For overnights, we do as little as possible. I don't lower stabilizers or landing gear. If I'm not plugged into shore power, I will unplug the umbilical cord to the truck.

As mentioned, the next morning gets a proper walk around to verify we are ready for hitting the road. Though, I walk around at *every* stop (lunch stop, rest stop, etc.).

Tags
camping