Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Parking a camper on a grassy field

Total noob to the whole travel trailer thing, so forgive me the rudimentary questions (there's likely to be more). I did a search but didn't come up with what I think I am looking for. My wife and I just got our first TT, a Rockwood 2906 WS or as I call it, the "Stress Sucking Machine".

Scenario: The range we frequent just put in a pole with 50 amp service essentially in the middle of a side yard. It's about like putting a pole in the middle of a football field. They have future plans for this area, but for now they put this in. The area is pretty level to the eye, but also a bit bumpy. Meaning, you could set a couple lawn chairs or a hammock up and be happy, but you'd want to watch where you put your beer. There is PLENTY of room to maneuver. It "looks" level, but the water has to shed somewhere and I doubt that it was ever really finish graded. I am guessing that it has only been mowed since it was originally cleared 20-30 years ago. It's perfect area for a friendly game of football, soccer, etc.

Here's what I am thinking: Go to Home Depot and get a 2x10 and a 1x10. Cut them in lengths about a foot or so longer than the distance from the front of the trailer front tire to the rear of the rear tire. Figure out where I want the trailer. If it's level, great. Back it up and throw a 2x10 in front of each wheel. Park it on those. Put 2x10x10 blocks under each stabilizer and the tongue and call it good.

If it isn't level, I think it can be made so by adding another 2x10 or a 1x10. I thought I would drill a 1" hole a few inches in from the ends to put a dowel rod through to "pin" them to keep them from sliding if I do have to stack them.

Why I think this is the right solution:
  1. Since this area is bumpy and grass that may or may not have been mowed in the last 20-30 days, it seems like a flat area to disperse the axle weight is wise.
  2. Putting a board in front of the wheels seems like an easy solution to drive up on.
  3. Even though it isn't a "nice lawn", this should prevent any divots or additional bumps.

One thing I don't know is if this would create a "snowshoe" effect by dispersing the load out among too much grass and make the camper rock more.

What say you? Is this the right way to do this?

Thank you in advance.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

I don't know the "real" name for the stuff, but a friend of mine gave me a stuff he calls "wall scuff". He's in the trailer leasing business (big tractor-trailer rigs) and uses it to park those big 53' trailer wheels and landing gear on.

He calls it wall scuff because it's sold in that business to place around the bottom of the walls inside the trailer to protect them from fork lift hits. It's very light, won't get water-soaked or rot out and unbelievably strong. About ¼ inch thick. I just throw two 50" and 4 12"x12" (for the stabilizers) in the bed of my pickup.

I'm sure someone here who's in the trucking business can tell us the official name of it because I don't have a clue. I've been using it under my horse trailer (16,000 pounds) for years and it really works. Much lighter and easier to handle than 2x10's. Swing by a big truck or trailer dealer or maintenance facility and you might be able to get some there.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

I've parked my heavy 5th wheel on grass lots before, simply pull onto a 2x10 that's about 5 feet long to span rear tires so both are on the board. Doesn't leave divots where parked but you may leave tracks to and from where your parking it.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. Looks like I am on the right track in terms of stability and leveling it.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

We took our TT to my grandmother's farm about 50 miles from home and parked it in a field for about a week. We were there while a group of college students conducted an archaeological dig, looking for Native American artifacts. They located quite a few about 30 years ago and thought them might give it another go.

We got ants in the trailer and like to have never got rid of them. They were the large black ants that make a big squishing noise when stomped. Get some type of bug repellant and put around the tires, stabilizers and anything else that comes into contact with the ground.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
Total noob to the whole travel trailer thing, so forgive me the rudimentary questions (there's likely to be more). I did a search but didn't come up with what I think I am looking for. My wife and I just got our first TT, a Rockwood 2906 WS or as I call it, the "Stress Sucking Machine".

Scenario: The range we frequent just put in a pole with 50 amp service essentially in the middle of a side yard. It's about like putting a pole in the middle of a football field. They have future plans for this area, but for now they put this in. The area is pretty level to the eye, but also a bit bumpy. Meaning, you could set a couple lawn chairs or a hammock up and be happy, but you'd want to watch where you put your beer. There is PLENTY of room to maneuver. It "looks" level, but the water has to shed somewhere and I doubt that it was ever really finish graded. I am guessing that it has only been mowed since it was originally cleared 20-30 years ago. It's perfect area for a friendly game of football, soccer, etc.

Here's what I am thinking: Go to Home Depot and get a 2x10 and a 1x10. Cut them in lengths about a foot or so longer than the distance from the front of the trailer front tire to the rear of the rear tire. Figure out where I want the trailer. If it's level, great. Back it up and throw a 2x10 in front of each wheel. Park it on those. Put 2x10x10 blocks under each stabilizer and the tongue and call it good.

If it isn't level, I think it can be made so by adding another 2x10 or a 1x10. I thought I would drill a 1" hole a few inches in from the ends to put a dowel rod through to "pin" them to keep them from sliding if I do have to stack them.

Why I think this is the right solution:
  1. Since this area is bumpy and grass that may or may not have been mowed in the last 20-30 days, it seems like a flat area to disperse the axle weight is wise.
  2. Putting a board in front of the wheels seems like an easy solution to drive up on.
  3. Even though it isn't a "nice lawn", this should prevent any divots or additional bumps.

One thing I don't know is if this would create a "snowshoe" effect by dispersing the load out among too much grass and make the camper rock more.

What say you? Is this the right way to do this?

Thank you in advance.
Sounds like you are on the right track. If you need another board to level no need to dowel them together they will not move...... I have been doing what you are talking about at our house with every TT we have ever had. Having it on boards, should not make the trailer rock any more, but you may have a small dead area of grass when you leave if you are there for several days

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

Merrykalia: Thank you for that advice. This is Florida and likely something I would have forgotten. I'm thinking a sprinkling of Borax around them all? Open to better ideas.

Oaklevel: Thanks for the confirmation and you just saved me some hassle. Much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

I have mine parked on grass as well. I used 2x12 s and used long spikes ( big nails ) and set the boards to the ground. They will not move without a crow bar to pry them up. Been doing this since 2007. Works great.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We took our TT to my grandmother's farm about 50 miles from home and parked it in a field for about a week. We were there while a group of college students conducted an archaeological dig, looking for Native American artifacts. They located quite a few about 30 years ago and thought them might give it another go.

We got ants in the trailer and like to have never got rid of them. They were the large black ants that make a big squishing noise when stomped. Get some type of bug repellant and put around the tires, stabilizers and anything else that comes into contact with the ground.
What I use is sevin dust or ant and roach spray spray it around tires, and also power cord and waterline anything in contact with ground and attached to trailer.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Some guys clam to use horse matt,,, not sure if they use it on grass ???
It is sold @ Tractor Supply here in Michigan !!!
I am using Treated 2 x 12s !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #11

Our TT is always parked in the side yard on the grass. Lynx Levelers work quite well. Just add another layer to one side if the yard is uneven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yard 1.jpe
Views:	185
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	95684   Click image for larger version

Name:	yard 2.jpe
Views:	141
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	95685  

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #12

2x12's for me & granulated ant & insect poison; does not desolve as fast when it gets wet.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #13

I have to wonder if these poisons are harmful to pets ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
New:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrle View Post
What I use is sevin dust or ant and roach spray spray it around tires, and also power cord and waterline anything in contact with ground and attached to trailer.
**Agreed!
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #15

Thanks, all. It's looking like a couple of 2x12s and a 1x12 thrown in the back of the truck. I like the legos, but am guessing I'd need at least two sets for a tandem axle trailer and the stabilizers. The cheapskate in me is winning out. ☺
Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks, all. It's looking like a couple of 2x12s and a 1x12 thrown in the back of the truck. I like the legos, but am guessing I'd need at least two sets for a tandem axle trailer and the stabilizers. The cheapskate in me is winning out.
In that case... go to one of the big box lumber stores and ask if they have any damaged or warped lumber. I've often got short pieces out of a broken board for pennies on the dollar.

Better yet, if there happens to be any construction projects going on in your area, stop by and ask for discarded lumber. I've scavenged (with permission) enough stuff from several of those to literally build a house! (for FREE!)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks, all. It's looking like a couple of 2x12s and a 1x12 thrown in the back of the truck. I like the legos, but am guessing I'd need at least two sets for a tandem axle trailer and the stabilizers. The cheapskate in me is winning out. ☺
I have four sets of ten. I have used them all at the same time a few times.

Bruce

Tags
camper, parking