Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

PDI Walk Through

I just picked up a new 2013 Rockwood 2909SS on Friday. My tip to anyone that is getting ready for a PDI walk through is to be prepared for "high pressure sales."

The tech guy kept telling me he wasn't a saleman, but said I should really buy "_____." Some of the items he was pressuring me to buy were Mud dauber screens, rear rv hitch, vent covers, LED awning lights, flat screen TV, fabric protectant, exterior protectant, etc. I couldn't believe how much he was pushing everything on me. Granted, there are items I will need to get, but I don't need someone pressuring me to buy everything that I could possibly need before I ever use the camper.

Has anyone else had this type of experience or am I alone?
utah_utrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Always Learning

I didn't have anything like that and I specifically asked both the owner of the place and my PDI tech "what do I need to buy?"!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

OK, maybe it was just me.
utah_utrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

No, my last tech couldn't sell his way out of a wet paper bag. But he's a really great wrench!

Here's what I think of the items below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah_utrup View Post
Mud dauber screens -depends where you live and camp
rear rv hitch - Did he really? Be careful adding a hitch onto most TTs. Good way to void the warranty.
vent covers -Very useful. Love my MaxxAir vent covers
LED awning lights - very useful if you dry camp (no power). But, I am sure they would have been very expensive through them. I get mine from Hong Kong through Ebay.
flat screen TV
- Do you watch a lot of tv? Its personal.
fabric protectant - rip off
exterior protectant - rip off
?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
rip

During my walk-through, the dealer tech did not try to sell me anything. He mentioned the dealer offers an introductory accessory-package deal, and it was included in my paperwork (a list of things like hoses, water pressure valve, spare fuses...).

I specifically asked about which dirt-dauber screens fit my appliance openings and which vent covers he personally suggested at the conclusion of the walk-through. From research on this forum, I already had most general accessories.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

I would go with the mud dauber screens and vent covers, but only at a discount from the dealer. Otherwise you can probably find them cheaper online.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I would go with the mud dauber screens and vent covers, but only at a discount from the dealer. Otherwise you can probably find them cheaper online.
I agree, know your prices before you buy from your dealer, and also factor in shipping expenses or tax savings. Your local dealer needs your business.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
MI Camperz

Nope. Didn't happen.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #9

I was never pestered to buy additional items on a walk through. I've bought three trailers new so far. As the items he reccomended they are unnecessary items. The fabric protector is no more that scotch guard you can buy over the counter at any fabric store. Mud dauber screens I have used them on my first trailer and the fell off going down the road. When the trailers is not in use I just cover the vents with plastic or a screen. Rear hitch like the previous guy said it would probably violate your warranty if installed correctly. Exterior protection a good wax job once a year will keep you covered. Vent covers I finally got a set with my new camper and they are great just make sure they don't put them over any automatic vents that open and close in the rain. ypou could probably get the TV at walmart cheaper although most campers come with them standard anymore. Not sure about the awning lights but if their the cheesy lights you see hanging form the edge of the awnings you can find a better deal on them anywhere else besides the dealer.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

We didn't get pestered to buy, they actually gave us money back. Who would have thought the factory would put the black tank vent so close to the create a breeze that the cover would not go on.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Paul & Sheri

I had a very complete walk through. The dealer gave me a coupon for 10% off any amount bought on my first visit to the store. That was the extent of the pressure. With that I went home and thought about everything I needed to get it all at once on the first visit. Good business on their part.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

we also had a good pdi and were not pressured to buy anything and that was at camping world who tries to sell everybody everything.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #13

No it's not just you, my tech did the same thing we actually had a tour going on in the parts/accessories store. I new what was up but bought several things anyway (because I new I would need them and everything I purchased that day was free install) but that all stopped when he straight out lied to me he had seen a TT waste water drain hose in the back of my truck I had from my previous trailer and told me I needed the one he recommended because my hose would not work on the new trailer so I put the brakes on right there no more purchases from him.

2013 Toy Tundra 5.7 max tow
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #14

Our tech & the manager tried to sell us nothing extra..... was our second trailer we bought from the dealer over the last few years......... The dealer threw in installed vent covers at no extra charge & I forgot to get a lube plate for the pin........ when I asked the manager how much they were he said go to the parts area & get one no charge........

Our dealer small, great price, & only has 3 employees............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote