Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I have "AAA" RV towing plan, they will take care of both the tow vehicle and the camper and they will tow up to 100 miles at no extra cost.

I have that, too. Haven't used it yet, but AAA assures me that if the truck needs to be towed, they'll tow the camper, too.

2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #22
I enjoyed my first year of owning a TT last year. Since then I have had to replace my (rear) air suspension in my Expedition and rebuild my transmission. Needless to say having AAA insurance was a blessing. I was 300 miles from home when the tranny went when pulling the camper. AAA at least got me (SUV) 100 miles closer to home. Luckily I was able to get help from a friend who had a big enough pickup with electric brake hitch to get the camper home. My regular insurance only covered 15 miles of towing and that was just for the SUV. I think AAA is well worth the price and piece of mind.
2005 Cherokee owner

kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #23
funny thing about lug wrenches, when I bought my pop-up trailer the very first tool I bought specifically for camping was a star lug wrench and a bottle jack, as of yet I have never needed it, I did not pass it along to the new owners when I sold my trailer to upgrade
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #24
Site Team
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I have that, too. Haven't used it yet, but AAA assures me that if the truck needs to be towed, they'll tow the camper, too.

When I added AAA coverage for my trailer I ended up upgrading so that the SUV could be tow to the same location as the trailer. On the basic plan AAA would only tow the car something like 15 miles and on the RV coverage up to 100 miles for the trailer.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #25
Here is another situation to think about and this has happen to me, but i was just three miles from home. What happens if you loose a bearing on one of the camper wheels, you are in the middle of no where, no extra parts, what do you do? The camper can not be towed for any long distance, the three tires that are left will not support the weight of the camper for any given time while towing.
I was lucky for being close to home, my wheel bearing was smoking, i stop to let it cool down after a while i tow the camper home, as i was backing up into the drive way the bearings were falling out of the wheel and on to the driveway, i ended up having to replace the axle.
I called the service dept at the dealer which is about 30 minutes away and ask them if it would be safe to tow the camper to there shop for repairs in the condition that it was in and they said NO, they said if i was to remove the wheel with the bad bearing and try to tow with just three tires on it, the side with just one tire could blow and this could cause more damage to the camper, they said that the camper needs all four tires.
I had to replace the axle at home, that was another experience.

Just something else to think about

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote