Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #1

Please recommend a site to sell our DX3.

We really need to sell our 2018 DX3 and I put it on the classifieds here but no response? I also put it on RVT but no response. I think we put it at a very fair price and also "Negotiable" The ad is here if you want to look at it and suggestions would be appreciated. It's under Motorhomes, Arizona.
Thanks,
Terry
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I think your price is high. Some deals on brand new Motorhomes offer 40% to 50% off. The Invoice you posted with $XXX,000 is suggested retail. You take a huge hit on depreciation first year with it. It is like a used car now and 2 years old too!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #3

Your response

I appreciate your information. I know the new ones I researched are $234,900 to 254,900. we added every option when we ordered and put another almost $20,000 after market including a 7 yr extended warranty. So we are taking a $35-45,000 loss for one that only has 7,000 miles and every option possible? So at $219,000 with some flexibility it seems we should be right in the ball park. Do you not think? I guess we could get our money back on the warranty but if I was a new owner of it I would want the warranty. Please let me know what you think. I really want to be fair and sell it. Thank you
Old 05-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

Is there an "RV" blue book you can use to see what is a fair price?

Just askin'.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Have you considered putting it on a dealers lot for consignment? They will be able to help buyers get financing and they will also market it for you.
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #6

There is and I ran it and it was $228,000.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #7

Yes and I've talked to a couple and they want 10%, so I would rather pass that on to a buyer than pay them.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #8

Hands down, list your MH on craigslist.org. Make sure the unit is detailed, take a lot of pictures, and write a VERY lengthy,VERY detailed, description. Put your pictures in the sequence of your written description. Make the buyer feel like they are walking through it. Include an inventory of all upgrades.

Think about it, the manufacturer pays a lot of money for their color brochures and spec charts. A private seller can do the same thing in a different form. You have to make your ad stand a head above the competition. Show your interest and the buyer will show theirs-a short description and the prospective buyer will move on. The game plan is to motivate a buyer and have them half convinced before ever physically seeing it. We have been complemented many times on the presentation and thoroughness.

We have sold a slide-in camper, motor home, sailboats, power boats, and vehicles on craigslist over several years and it is free. We NEVER use terms negotiable or OBO (or best offer). We have priced high enough because serious buyers will negotiate. With the detailed documentation, the buyer knows they can only negotiate so far One might say we got lucky on one sale, but the fact is, it has been consistent.

Unless you overpaid in the first place, losing substantially from what you paid is a myth in my book. Example, we bought a new/year old MH and negotiated price. We had it a little over a year and did some upgrades. When selling, it was determined that the new identical unit had gone up 10%. Using all of the calculations, the NADA figures included, we made money. The dealer sat on this unit for over a year-we sold it within a week. It makes no difference if someone disagrees with me, the money is in the bank. No one can argue that. Are we duping the buyer? No, we are getting the value. Never have we had a buyer dissatisfied.

To take this a step further, the buyers of the MH decided to sell it after a year.
They used much of the documentation and commented that they did very well selling as-well.

I have one other comment. We don't want/expect the phone to ring often. As I tell DW, it only takes one good call.You will always have someone low-ball. It doesn't pay to shut the door on them. First, we counter near the asking price to show we are willing to negotiate with limits. We thank them for the offer and suggest they think it over. We never give any indication that we are eager to sell or have to sell. We merely suggest that it takes time to sell any high ticket item. Through experience, we have found the next person through the door will come to terms-and it may well be the low-baller. Example: a couple came to look at a power boat we owned with very low hours. They low-balled and we let them walk. Another customer traversed Florida to look at the boat. We agreed on price. While I was writing the receipt, the low-baller called back. He was informed that we had the buyer and was writing the receipt. He was then asking if I would accept a higher offer. My response was that we had made a good faith agreement with the buyer and would keep our word. The buyer gave a cash deposit and returned the following day with the remaining cash. He accompanied us to the bank to count the money and to be certain the bills were not counterfeit.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #9

Wow, that is great information and thank you for all the time it took to write it. I am going to go back to the Craigslist ad I put and make some changes. Thank you
Old 05-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemeyer1 View Post
Wow, that is great information and thank you for all the time it took to write it. I am going to go back to the Craigslist ad I put and make some changes. Thank you
Pretty much every vehicle I have sold was on Craigslist.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

You keep mentioning the added options and putting another $20000. The options you thought were so important, might not be for a buyer. When I was looking at used TT to replace a totaled one, not your level for sure, I didn't count options, etc. in my offer. That is unless it was something I really wanted. Hope you do find a buyer soon.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

Be careful with Craig's list . Never had any luck selling anything on anything on Craigs list, just the ripoff artists.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Back On The Go

I've had good results with RVTRADER.COM Make darn sure you have lots of high quality, well framed photos.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #14

We sold our pop up on craigslist. Like others have said - lots of good photos showing all different sides/parts of the unit and a detailed description. On the low ball offers we would be polite but simply tell them that we had several more people coming to look at the tt and would like to hear what they would offer (not a lie and we would offer to take their phone number for a call back if the others fell through - non of the low ball offers would even leave their phone number). We sold ours in one week at the asking price and also had one other person offer more (which we declined as we had already negotiated in good faith with the people that purchased it). Yours is much higher value than ours was but since craigs list is free all it costs you is a little time to set up the ad and then you can see if you get any offers.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
jkoenig24

Re putting on a dealer's lot for consignment. I've heard many horror stories ranging from the unit being damaged / trashed; batteries allowed to self discharge to the point where they became useless and needed to be replaced, to outright theft. I agree with the comments that the depreciation takes a FAR bigger toll than you would expect. In the year that you owned and traveled in it, did anyone ever express interest in owning a true Super-C coach? If someone did, start there and maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck, I fear you're going to need a LOT of it and remember, the longer it sits unused, the more and faster it will depreciate. Is there a campground / RV park reasonably close to you? If so, spend weekends there with "For Sale" signs in the windows. People in those places are obviously RVers and, you might just find a camper who's been contemplating an upgrade (or knows someone else who IS "in the market" for an upgrade).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
Kasual Kamper

If you're on Facebook, there is probably a neighborhood classified page advertising goods for sale locally. I've had good luck selling smaller items that way.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemeyer1 View Post
Yes and I've talked to a couple and they want 10%, so I would rather pass that on to a buyer than pay them.
It's great that you would want to pass it on to a buyer, but I think you need to determine what your goal is. Would your rather sell it, or help someone out? If selling consignment exposes you to more buyers, and actually a potentially higher sale price, then your bottom line is really want your water looking for. Do you have holding costs (loan, storage?) Your extended warranty is also being used up while it sits waiting for a buyer. I would consider paying the consignment fee rather than passing along your savings, unless you don't plan on passing those savings on.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 254DSX
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote