Originally Posted by VinceU
Normally CG offering 50 amp will also provide 30 amp and usually 20 amp outlets in the same Pedestal. Problem with converting the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, the supply circuit protection only sees a 50 amp load supply, not 30 that you present. You can damage your cord and power box if shore breaker doesn't open in a fault. Save your $20- and connect properly.
Sorry Vince I have to disagree.
1) Most 30 amp sockets in multi-socket pedestals get used way more often than the 50 amp one and are typically burned, pitted, and loose. This typically results in higher resistance connections and lower output voltages.
2) While you are correct that a short in your cord would only be protected to 50 amps vice the 30 you are rated for, the main breaker in the camper (rated for 30) would protect your camper down stream from that. Any short bad enough to damage your cord would also blow the 50 amp breaker.
3) Should your camper try to draw more than 30 amps (like using the air conditioner and microwave and a toaster at the same time) your main 30 amp breaker would trip even though the pedestal could have handled it.
4) More likely since the 30 amp circuit breaker on the pedestal gets more use than the 50 (if properly shut off and turned on when hooking up and disconnecting), the 30 amp worn breaker may actually trip early and not provide the full 30 amp service you are expecting.
5) The way many 50 amp service panels are wired, the 30 amp and 20 amp sockets are "piggybacked" off of the 50 amp "double 50" breaker (one leg to the 30 socket and one leg to the 20 socket). The 50 amp breaker must be "on" to provide power to the 30 and 20 when wired this way. This prevents folks from trying to pull more than the 50 amps (on each leg) that each site is rated for (by plugging in other items on extension cords to the other sockets). I have also found this at 30 amp sites where the 20 amp GFCI duplex's breaker comes after the 30 amp "MAIN" that supplies the 30 amp RV socket.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW