Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

I guess, for the OP- why a pop-up or hybrid? For the closer connection to nature or simply for a smaller towing/backing foot print?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Take The Road Less Travld

Here's my two cents from being an owner of both. I traded up mainly because of having to pop up and down the popup everytime I wanted to load and then travel with it. Having the access to the trailer without having to pop it up will become invaluable on a trip like this. Being able to pull over and take a break at a rest stop or quickly setting up for the night or even having easy access to a dining table and cabinet space is important. Leaking has never been an issue on either if taken care of properly.
Personally, I would rent a class c for something like this but can see the plus and negatives of both. Maybe you should rent the movie RV before taking on this trip

I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Right, but the OP has a tt.
Yeah, I caught that they have a travel trailer. But my impression was that the OP didn't want to pull a 31' travel trailer across the country. IMHO, the best option for what they are wanting to do would be a SMALLER TT, not a hybrid or a pop up. Many hybrid and popup owners even state that people that are accustomed to enclosed trailers often have a hard time dealing with canvas and find it burdensome. Just trying to make suggestions that I think will make the trip more enjoyable.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Popus are a pain to set up and take down. If you plan to move from place to place on a regular basis I would go for the Hybrid or a frame. Have fun.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Yeah, I caught that they have a travel trailer. But my impression was that the OP didn't want to pull a 31' travel trailer across the country. IMHO, the best option for what they are wanting to do would be a SMALLER TT, not a hybrid or a pop up. Many hybrid and popup owners even state that people that are accustomed to enclosed trailers often have a hard time dealing with canvas and find it burdensome. Just trying to make suggestions that I think will make the trip more enjoyable.
And I know the perfect short camper for a 3/4-ton truck. Good sleeping arrangements, decent living arrangements, and only a few negatives:

Just sadly, it's not real!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #16

This is what I had in mind- this would be a piece of cake to pull with the OP's DMax:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 9.27.41 AM.png
Views:	64
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	66396  
Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
This is what I had in mind- this would be a piece of cake to pull with the OP's DMax:
The Lance 2185 might be a better option for a long trip since the fridge is accessible with the slides in. Looks like it could be a tight squeeze on that Rockwood. But they're both a good bit of camper at 25' 8".

The other option is the Vibe. I still think they have the coolest/space saving bunks/u-shape dinette setup and they're only 20' 5". With 3 separate sleeping areas, it would satisfy the mom + 2 boys sleeping requirements that I think I recall. Doubt the fridge is easily accessible with the slide in, though:

But, of course, this assumes the OP wanted a pop-up/hybrid solely for size limitations. If it was for other reasons, we're just talking to each other.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

If I was going to buy a smaller unit I would take a real hard look at these because of the colors.

https://www.google.com/#q=+winnebago+minnie

21 foot should be just right for three.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The Lance 2185 might be a better option for a long trip since the fridge is accessible with the slides in. Looks like it could be a tight squeeze on that Rockwood. But they're both a good bit of camper at 25' 8".

The other option is the Vibe. I still think they have the coolest/space saving bunks/u-shape dinette setup and they're only 20' 5". With 3 separate sleeping areas, it would satisfy the mom + 2 boys sleeping requirements that I think I recall. Doubt the fridge is easily accessible with the slide in, though:

But, of course, this assumes the OP wanted a pop-up/hybrid solely for size limitations. If it was for other reasons, we're just talking to each other.
I like the Rockwood because of the murphy bed. Sitting at a dinette to watch a movie would get old. We can just keep assuming we're being helpful.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
I like the Rockwood because of the murphy bed. Sitting at a dinette to watch a movie would get old. We can just keep assuming we're being helpful.
We're totally helpful. I'm sure of it. (Well, we're totally something.. maybe even full of something.)

Agreed and that's one of the things that I like about my design- the TV is a straight view from the murphy bed/couch without having to look past a bunch of stuff and you have the ability to sit either at the couch or the dinette. On the Rockwood, you're essentially watching TV through the kitchen. And the Vibe, you're missing the couch and none of the seats have a direct view of the TV.

I'm also not a fan of the neo-angled shower in the Vibe. I'm too big of a boy for that. And the Vibe seems fairly anemic for clothing storage. The Rockwood only seems a tad bit better. Though, my design is definitely missing on pantry storage.

Tags
hybrid, pop up