Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Popup? or Hybrid?

I'm wanting to take a road trip across the USA with two of my children this summer. A 16y boy and 10y girl. I have a 31ft camper but I'm not interested in pulling it across country for numerous reasons, one being time, and another is I'm a single mom! I was thinking of buying either a hybrid or a popup solely for this adventure. My question is which is the better choice? I will most likely sell it after our adventure is over. I really like the hybrid choice because of the working bathrooms and showers, and plenty of bed space. My biggest concern is does a Hybrid leak as much as I hear?? Which one is easier to set up and take down, we will be traveling and sightseeing and need a place to sleep! Which choice sells better?
Thanks
Nights camped 2015 3
Duramax mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

Not sure where exactly you plan to travel, but my understanding is that in some areas you cannot stay in a camper with tent ends because of bears. Also, I don't think you'd have to worry about a hybrid leaking any more than you would a pop up. My personal preference would be one of the 25' or so travel trailers with bunks in the rear and a single small slide. With your 3/4 ton truck you'd have no problems and could camp almost anywhere. I'd look at something like this:

New Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S Travel Trailer RVs For Sale at The Original RV Wholesalers
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #3

I would suggest a small 3-door hybrid like the Rockwood Roo 183. The small size/weight will help with resale by keeping your trailer in the SUV/Van tow range and the 3-door will give each of you your own sleeping area. Although it will tow easy like an 18' once opened the true size will be closer to 25' which is the beauty of the hybrid.

You've touched on a couple of the key points for the hybrid as well. Toilet/Shower - A/C and furnace - fridge/stove are usually standard equipment although I'm seeing a few pop-ups with these as well.

Neither of my 2 hybrids leaked but you need to be extra vigilant with managing the tent ends when they get wet and you need to close them up to travel. If the tent ends are closed when traveling you'll need to open then ASAP rain or shine to let them dry out and keep water away from the decking and hinge assembly. When I was traveling and the tent ends were closed wet I'd periodically wipe down the surfaces around the tent ends to manage whatever moisture I could.

Good luck. Sounds like you have quite the adventure planned.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

We've owned both. For this type of travel I would definitely go with the hybrid. As a kid, we did the trip across the west, and it was lots of one night stops. For that type of travel, a hybrid would be much easier. With our combo we can put the front bunk down while still hitched. Get a pull through site and you save a ton of work. Plus you have more kitchen space and more storage. Much easier to deal with when all the food and clothes are not stored in bins or duffle bags.

Hybrids by there nature are more susceptible to leaks than popups, but for something you are going to use one season and sell, I wouldn't even worry about it. Just find one that doesn't have any issues to start with and you'll be fine. And I wouldn't worry about bears either. Yellowstone has 1 or 2 of their several CG's that are hard-sided trailers only. Otherwise, I have never encountered that restriction.

It will be the trip of a lifetime and something your kids will never forget. I wouldn't think twice about doing that trip in a hybrid. I wouldn't want to be moving a popup every day or two - it just cuts into the time you have for exploring and see the sights.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
And I wouldn't worry about bears either. Yellowstone has 1 or 2 of their several CG's that are hard-sided trailers only. Otherwise, I have never encountered that restriction.
I knew I had read something about dealing with bears- apparently it's not a big deal, though. I still say that you'll have a much easier time with a regular travel trailer. No worries of wet tents. Your don't HAVE to get up at daybreak(or attempt to sleep through it). You'll possibly encounter storms- I like the thought of more than a piece of canvas between me and hail/lightning/falling limbs, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of hybrids and popups, but I'm not sure it's gonna work out as well as a travel trailer for a "summer home." Even the die hard popup/hybrid owners typically give warnings that there are shortfalls with them and you need to be realistic about what your camping experience will be like.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Team

FWIW, my wife and I had a pop-up and my parents had a hybrid. We both upgraded to 30’+TT at the same time.

They sold their hybrid almost right away. We had a heck of a time selling our pop-up. It took months and we eventually had to drop our asking price way down even though we were only the second owners. My parents bought it brand-new and we bought it from them.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I knew I had read something about dealing with bears- apparently it's not a big deal, though. I still say that you'll have a much easier time with a regular travel trailer. No worries of wet tents. Your don't HAVE to get up at daybreak(or attempt to sleep through it). You'll possibly encounter storms- I like the thought of more than a piece of canvas between me and hail/lightning/falling limbs, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of hybrids and popups, but I'm not sure it's gonna work out as well as a travel trailer for a "summer home." Even the die hard popup/hybrid owners typically give warnings that there are shortfalls with them and you need to be realistic about what your camping experience will be like.
Right, but the OP has a tt. The question was popup or hybrid. Can you take a long trip with either - absolutely. Wet tent ends - so what if you are opening them up again that night. Its only an issue if you put them away wet and leave them closed. I sleep just fine past day break, even with a tent end. Falling limbs maybe that's a risk you have live with. Falling trees - probably doesn't matter if you have canvas or a plywood roof over you.

Our first long trip with our hybrid was 2,700 miles in 12 nights with 9 one night stops. One of our all time best trips. To the OP's question - I would not have done that trip if we still had the popup. And we traveled through a lot of cities, heavy traffic, tight spots. Having the smaller trailer was a huge help. Then, set up in 10 minutes and expand the living area significantly. 20 minutes max to be packed up in the morning.

No argument that lots of people don't like hybrids or popups and like any rv they have pros and cons. But if you have a chance to take your kids across the country and want/need a small trailer, this is a very good solution.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

For single nights and traveling days, it's really hard to beat an A-frame for quick setup, light weight and manuverability into those special campsites, and still have most of the "camping" experience of a pop-up.

The drawback is the limited amount of interior room - less than either a pop-up or a hybird. We use our A-frame as a comfortable sleeping cabin for long weekends and little else. Our time is spent outside - we cook and clean and socialize around the picnic table and go sight-seeing by car or foot.

Fred W
2014 A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #9

For what you're planning to use it for, I'd also chose the A-frame. I had a hybrid and it leaked in the front bunk while driving in rain. I had a 2011 and it didn't leak through the seams like I hear some of the newer ones do. My popup never leaked, not one drop.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

Consider renting the trailer if you're gonna sell it after your trip. Just my two cents
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
Always Learning

I guess, for the OP- why a pop-up or hybrid? For the closer connection to nature or simply for a smaller towing/backing foot print?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Take The Road Less Travld

Here's my two cents from being an owner of both. I traded up mainly because of having to pop up and down the popup everytime I wanted to load and then travel with it. Having the access to the trailer without having to pop it up will become invaluable on a trip like this. Being able to pull over and take a break at a rest stop or quickly setting up for the night or even having easy access to a dining table and cabinet space is important. Leaking has never been an issue on either if taken care of properly.
Personally, I would rent a class c for something like this but can see the plus and negatives of both. Maybe you should rent the movie RV before taking on this trip
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Right, but the OP has a tt.
Yeah, I caught that they have a travel trailer. But my impression was that the OP didn't want to pull a 31' travel trailer across the country. IMHO, the best option for what they are wanting to do would be a SMALLER TT, not a hybrid or a pop up. Many hybrid and popup owners even state that people that are accustomed to enclosed trailers often have a hard time dealing with canvas and find it burdensome. Just trying to make suggestions that I think will make the trip more enjoyable.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Popus are a pain to set up and take down. If you plan to move from place to place on a regular basis I would go for the Hybrid or a frame. Have fun.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Yeah, I caught that they have a travel trailer. But my impression was that the OP didn't want to pull a 31' travel trailer across the country. IMHO, the best option for what they are wanting to do would be a SMALLER TT, not a hybrid or a pop up. Many hybrid and popup owners even state that people that are accustomed to enclosed trailers often have a hard time dealing with canvas and find it burdensome. Just trying to make suggestions that I think will make the trip more enjoyable.
And I know the perfect short camper for a 3/4-ton truck. Good sleeping arrangements, decent living arrangements, and only a few negatives:

Just sadly, it's not real!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #16

This is what I had in mind- this would be a piece of cake to pull with the OP's DMax:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 9.27.41 AM.png
Views:	127
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	66396  
Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
This is what I had in mind- this would be a piece of cake to pull with the OP's DMax:
The Lance 2185 might be a better option for a long trip since the fridge is accessible with the slides in. Looks like it could be a tight squeeze on that Rockwood. But they're both a good bit of camper at 25' 8".

The other option is the Vibe. I still think they have the coolest/space saving bunks/u-shape dinette setup and they're only 20' 5". With 3 separate sleeping areas, it would satisfy the mom + 2 boys sleeping requirements that I think I recall. Doubt the fridge is easily accessible with the slide in, though:

But, of course, this assumes the OP wanted a pop-up/hybrid solely for size limitations. If it was for other reasons, we're just talking to each other.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

If I was going to buy a smaller unit I would take a real hard look at these because of the colors.

https://www.google.com/#q=+winnebago+minnie

21 foot should be just right for three.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The Lance 2185 might be a better option for a long trip since the fridge is accessible with the slides in. Looks like it could be a tight squeeze on that Rockwood. But they're both a good bit of camper at 25' 8".

The other option is the Vibe. I still think they have the coolest/space saving bunks/u-shape dinette setup and they're only 20' 5". With 3 separate sleeping areas, it would satisfy the mom + 2 boys sleeping requirements that I think I recall. Doubt the fridge is easily accessible with the slide in, though:

But, of course, this assumes the OP wanted a pop-up/hybrid solely for size limitations. If it was for other reasons, we're just talking to each other.
I like the Rockwood because of the murphy bed. Sitting at a dinette to watch a movie would get old. We can just keep assuming we're being helpful.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
I like the Rockwood because of the murphy bed. Sitting at a dinette to watch a movie would get old. We can just keep assuming we're being helpful.
We're totally helpful. I'm sure of it. (Well, we're totally something.. maybe even full of something.)

Agreed and that's one of the things that I like about my design- the TV is a straight view from the murphy bed/couch without having to look past a bunch of stuff and you have the ability to sit either at the couch or the dinette. On the Rockwood, you're essentially watching TV through the kitchen. And the Vibe, you're missing the couch and none of the seats have a direct view of the TV.

I'm also not a fan of the neo-angled shower in the Vibe. I'm too big of a boy for that. And the Vibe seems fairly anemic for clothing storage. The Rockwood only seems a tad bit better. Though, my design is definitely missing on pantry storage.

Tags
hybrid, pop up