Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

power question??

Hi, guys. I just bought a travel trailer and, although I've turned everything (I think) off, the battery goes dead. I'm brand new to tt's and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas either why it goes dead or maybe what I'm missing when I close it up. It's really getting to me. Thanks for the read and any and all responses. Rick
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Team

There are several things in an RV that will continue to slowly drain the battery even when you think everything is turned off. One of the leading culprits for battery drain is the LP gas leak detector. On a lot of RVs this is designed to operate all of the time. There are other items that we overlook sometimes like the power booster on the TV antenna, or a clock that operates off of 12 Volts. If your RV is not equipped with a battery disconnect switch you can purchase a device that installs right on the battery post. When you're not using the RV you simply lift a lever up and it disconnects all 12 Volt power going to the RV

This tip contributed by Mark Polk at RV Education 101

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep - its the parasitic drains. Quite a few of them in most trailers.

You can buy an "on-off" battery disconnect such as the Blue Sea 6006m or one that allows you to select battery bank 1 or battery bank 2, or 1+2. If you know you will add a second 12-volt, than buy the Blue Sea 9001e.

This is the 6006m

I will also add that you might have damaged your current battery if it had been discharged too low and it might not hold a charge anymore.

You can test it various ways yourself or take it to a battery place and they'll test it for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
I am hardly a Jr. Camper

Another item that will drain the battery is the refrigerator. Even thought it is on gas or 120v the brain of this unit is operated with 12v.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

Thanks, guys. Mark, I just came back from Princess Auto and bought a battery disconnect switch. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Again, thanks.