Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Loneeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 114
Power Surge Protection

I recently got a Flagstaff Micro Lite FBRS and never thought about power surge protection until I read a thread about a lady that had her microwave burn up on her because of surge in her A frame which I had before this new one.

Any suggestions on what I should consider?

Thanks,

__________________

Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
geezer with gadgets
 
757Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneeagle View Post
I recently got a Flagstaff Micro Lite FBRS and never thought about power surge protection until I read a thread about a lady that had her microwave burn up on her because of surge in her A frame which I had before this new one.

Any suggestions on what I should consider?

Thanks,

This thread might help.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C

__________________

__________________


Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 5
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: eastern pa
Posts: 60
we purchased a progressive industries 30 amp electrcal management system , which serves as more than just a surge protector.they sell a 50 amp ems to . we went with the portable version but they also sell ones that can be hardwired in .
statticcling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840


I have used this one from day one, not even an issue.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,783
We use a portable one similar to Ford Idaho's, does the job.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Loneeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 114
Thanks

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your advise. Great Help!
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
The biggest help is to have one, like the one suggested in the other thread or the portable I posted.

Either one does the job better than none at all.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 572
I am considering purchasing one also. I was not sure in the past if it was just fancy marketing hype or scare tactic etc. I guess it is the same premise as I have one hooked to my home stereo. When we first got the TT we were at a KOA and when I plugged in shore power it kept tripping the circuit breaker. Not sure the issue, I ran an extension cord to the next site (xxxx yes it was empty xxxx) and the power issue was fine. So now looking at the forums discussions on this I guess there was an issue with the pedistial and I was lucky nothing blew up. We have RV dealers in the area and one each sells Progressive Industries, one the TRC brand and the third a CAMCO version. Each have fancy ads and websites but down to the nuts and bolts is one better than the other at the same model and price point or is it a preference like Ford vs GM vs Dodge?

Not looking for an arguement - looking for factual reasons why one tops the other or it is just a matter of having one!

Kevin
__________________
2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by statticcling View Post
we purchased a progressive industries 30 amp electrcal management system , which serves as more than just a surge protector.they sell a 50 amp ems to . we went with the portable version but they also sell ones that can be hardwired in .
X2
__________________
"But, oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go." -- The Beatles

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,718
Progressive- lifetime warranty.

Hands down great choice
__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
I am considering purchasing one also. I was not sure in the past if it was just fancy marketing hype or scare tactic etc. I guess it is the same premise as I have one hooked to my home stereo. When we first got the TT we were at a KOA and when I plugged in shore power it kept tripping the circuit breaker. Not sure the issue, I ran an extension cord to the next site (xxxx yes it was empty xxxx) and the power issue was fine. So now looking at the forums discussions on this I guess there was an issue with the pedistial and I was lucky nothing blew up. We have RV dealers in the area and one each sells Progressive Industries, one the TRC brand and the third a CAMCO version. Each have fancy ads and websites but down to the nuts and bolts is one better than the other at the same model and price point or is it a preference like Ford vs GM vs Dodge?

Not looking for an arguement - looking for factual reasons why one tops the other or it is just a matter of having one!


Kevin
Progressive EMS units offer more than just surge protection. Well worth the money IMHO. Read the link posted earlier.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Loneeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 114
OK Guys, Now I'm getting a little more confused. See what happens when you gain a LITTLE knowledge. No offense to people with other brands, but I am on Amazon looking at Progressive....They have a Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge for $82.50, then they have Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System for $249.00. What do I really need? I'm more in to Techy stuff....Electrical is out of my league. Thanks again for your patience.
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 12,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneeagle View Post
OK Guys, Now I'm getting a little more confused. See what happens when you gain a LITTLE knowledge. No offense to people with other brands, but I am on Amazon looking at Progressive....They have a Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge for $82.50, then they have Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System for $249.00. What do I really need? I'm more in to Techy stuff....Electrical is out of my league. Thanks again for your patience.
Read the last line of Wiscampsin's post above to know my opinion.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,718
Surge protection only will not protect your equipment from low/ high voltage situations. Might protect if campground power is wired wrong but I'm not sure.

If you are trying not to fry your unit, get power management for the extra cash and you will never worry what if.
__________________

__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.


×