Old 09-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #21

I just got a head ache from reading all this stuff. I'm not familiar with your particular unit but;

Do use rv safe anti freeze (any brand) about 2 gals should cover your needs.
Do open and drain fresh water tank, low point hot and cold drains and close back up.
Do acquire an understanding of your bypass valves to the HW tank, prior to introduction of the anti-freeze.
Do remove and drain the HW tank.
Do apply no more than two rotations of teflon tape to the plug (assumption is you have a steel tank here) and replace plug/anode.
Do add bulk anti-freeze to all P-traps and residual amount to black tank after emptied of course.
Do remove hand held shower head if so equipped and return it in Spring.
Do leave fridge open to prevent mold.
Do, if in an enclosed structure, fabricate 5gal bucket mouse trap(s) (bing seach it, google is not welcome) as you want to eradicate those mice prior to entry.
Do remember (by notes) to return bypass valves to operational settings in Spring.
Do post any questions here so others can give constructive advise. Just sayin'

Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I just got a head ache from reading all this stuff. I'm not familiar with your particular unit but;

Do use rv safe anti freeze (any brand) about 2 gals should cover your needs.
Do open and drain fresh water tank, low point hot and cold drains and close back up.
Do acquire an understanding of your bypass valves to the HW tank, prior to introduction of the anti-freeze.
Do remove and drain the HW tank.
Do apply no more than two rotations of teflon tape to the plug (assumption is you have a steel tank here) and replace plug/anode.
Do add bulk anti-freeze to all P-traps and residual amount to black tank after emptied of course.
Do remove hand held shower head if so equipped and return it in Spring.
Do leave fridge open to prevent mold.
Do, if in an enclosed structure, fabricate 5gal bucket mouse trap(s) (bing seach it, google is not welcome) as you want to eradicate those mice prior to entry.
Do remember (by notes) to return bypass valves to operational settings in Spring.
Do post any questions here so others can give constructive advise. Just sayin'
That is some great advice Still Kickin.
I realize it was probably a missed word or two but I'll advise to NOT remove and drain the HW tank... simply remove the plug/anode and drain.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't know about right or safe???

The MSDS for that stuff indicates they do not know the freezing point.
Page three indicates: "melting/freezing point - Not available."

Not sure how they can make the claim -100 or -200 or the formation of 'ice crystals' if they don't know the freezing point?

They also go on to say...
"Symptoms/Injuries After Ingestion: Acute exposure of humans to ethylene glycol by ingesting large quantities causes three stages of
health effects. CNS depression, including such symptoms as vomiting, drowsiness, coma, respiratory failure, convulsions, metabolic
changes, and gastrointestinal upset are followed by cardiopulmonary effects and later renal damage.

Pay close attention to the words I highlighted... Ethylene glycol.
This is automotive antifreeze and is poisonous.

They do state (prior to that statement) it is made from Propylene glycol.
My point is... there is a BUNCH of confusing stuff being 'stated' about this particular product so believe what you think appropriate.

They also say on their web site it is suitable for use in engines and has corrosion inhibitors added.

-110 or -200 protection or not... I'm not putting any of that product in my potable water plumbing.

*HERE* is a link to the product. Click on the MSDS link and read for yourself.
They also said "the solution continues to form denser ice crystals and EXPANDS." By the definition of density (weight/unit volume) if it's forming denser crystals, it can't expand. If it expands, it becomes LESS dense. I don't think they know what the heck they're talking about.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #24

I put lots of bounce dryer sheets in our tt and moth balols around the tires and inside. Make sure there is NO food in there. I have no problem with mice and I live in the country.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #25

Quote:
That is some great advice Still Kickin.
I realize it was probably a missed word or two but I'll advise to NOT remove and drain the HW tank... simply remove the plug/anode and drain.
Ah, that would not be too smart. Thanks, I did mean the plug/anode. Thanks for the catch.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #26

Quote:
RV antifreeze will (and does) freeze/get slushy but DOES NOT expand when frozen so even if it freezes, it WILL NOT burst pipes. In fact, it contracts slightly.

Water is the ONLY liquid that expands when frozen.
X2. It states right on the bottle that it will turn to slush but NOT expand.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #27

Petes RV does a good youtube vid for winterizing.
https://youtu.be/fZshRDDVc9o
Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #28

What I've been using in my boat and camper for mice is to cut Irish Spring soap into quarters and put it through out the camper and boat. I also leave all cabinet doors open and on the boat I leave everything open. Knock on wood I've not found any mice or dropping in either. You also get that nice fresh smell!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #29

THANKS!

I know you old timers have winterized dozens of times. It's my first time too, and want to say thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #30

In the 10 years I have been winterizing I have never ran antifreeze through my lines. I normally just drop it in my traps. After draining everything I leave ALL of my valves open on the sinks, showers, etc. That way a lot of the moisture will evaporate and any expansion should be able to be pushed along the pipes instead of being stuck in place at a fitting. The only problem I have had with this method is my new camper has a foot flush toilet (old camper was hand flush) and that valve collected water and broke. Was able to get by with a hose clamp for the weekend but now I know to simply unscrew that valve to drain the water. And don't forget your outside shower if you have one!

Tags
storage, winter