Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Projector Screen

Dont see where this is covered somewhere else. I recently purchased a inexpensive projector from epson to use when camping and outdoor movie nights for the family. My plan is to make my own portable screen using PVC pipe and some kind of material. I plan on keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio for HDMI screen size and am thinking of 7 x 4 which should be pretty close. The goal is to keep it as cheap as I can get away with. Has anyone done this before and if so, what kind of material did you use for the screen? I am actually thinking of a white satin sheet backed by a black sheet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

http://www.campchef.com/portable-screens.html

Check these out. Might be what you're after
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pm AquaMan to see what he uses.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Movie night in goshen!

👍

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400771653379.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	53012  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The one I carry in the camper is a pull-up screen from Epson. I have one of their first Moviemates. At home I have a 19'x9' screen I made from a white cotton fabric that is fairly thick. Works great.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

We have a 2014 Salem 32bhds, the outside kitchen door is perfectly flat and plain white. Works perfect as a screen

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Jimbobbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Although not necessarily cheap, I would give another nod to the Camp Chef portable screens. I got a great deal off of Amazon on our 12 foot one.

We have had several movie nights (A Christmas Story, Despicable Me 2) at one of our local state parks. The park even lets us use an unoccupied camp site for the showing. We made sure to invite the entire campground to the movies, as even though not a lot did come...NOBODY complained since they were invited in the first place.

We have done this all during the colder months and when it got dark earlier so the movie wouldn't go past quiet time in the park. I also haven't tried it yet in the warmer months to see if the projector light attracts bugs down here in the Deep South.

The reason I really like the Camp Chef OS-144 is the rear projection capability. When showing a movie with a larger crowd, and normal forward projecting, people have to sit to the sides really so when they move around (as they will get up a lot) they don't get in front of the projector (unless you have a way to mount the projector high). The OS-144 has a removable back side, that once you un-velcro it, you can set up the projector BEHIND the screen for rear projection. The EPSON projector I have, has a setting that you just change on the projector that reverses the image for rear projection. This way the projector is behind the screen and the audience can sit directly in front of the screen, and won't interfere with the projection.

I place the projector, dvd player, and a cheap audio receiver with long speaker wire/speakers (you need to have good sound to hear it outside) on a table behind the screen, where it's all out of site, and out of the way. The black back that you undo to allow rear projection, you then just let hang down underneath the screen and it blocks all the light from the projector that the audience might see from underneath the screen......depending on the viewing angle. It all works fantastic.

I have some pics somewhere and will be glad to show you if you like.

Like I stated earlier, it's not necessarily the cheapest route, which I also wanted to go with originally, but I am glad I did spend the money, and get the OS-144. Another benefit of it, especially with it's own frame and such , is when we set it up inside the house a lot when my son has overnight company. You haven't seen more happier kids when they get to play their video games on a 12 foot screen.....by hooking the game systems thru the projector.

I kept watching, and caught it on sale from Amazon during the off-season for $170 with free Prime shipping.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Broken Toe

I am going to take the opposing opinion here...

First off, I love the immersive movie experience. Look at my blog under "theater" to see how far I overdid it. But I well and truly wish people would leave those things at home.

Three times now, I have camped at a place near where some person had a projector setup. And twice, the people came around telling me how they were having a "movie night" for the kids. The other time they just did their own thing. But each time, there was literally 25-35 people crammed into a campsite to watch the movie. The noise of the movie, the screaming/laughing kids and light from the projector pretty much ruined my favorite activity of sitting around a nice campfire and trying to metabolize alcohol. One family even played a different movie all 3 nights we were there.

I hate to be the "you kids get off my lawn" type of person, but my thinking is, If you want to watch movies, stay home and watch them. Or if nothing else, a lot of campgrounds have some sort of amphitheater or public space for that sort of thing. Use it, rather than the lot next to someone who just wants a quite evening with Capt. Morgan.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
http://www.campchef.com/portable-screens.html

Check these out. Might be what you're after

Sweet!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #10

At home I just use a white thicker fabric to watch movies. I was thinking of using the same when I go camping, except maybe sewing a slot I could slide a broomstick or pipe along the bottom to add a little weight to stretch it out more and be a little more wind resistant. Not sure how that'll work though, haven't tried it yet.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

THIS, if I wanted to see a movie and all the associated people/noise/mess I would go to a theater
EDIT; to add I don't drink but do go camping for the 'peace and quite'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I am going to take the opposing opinion here...

First off, I love the immersive movie experience. Look at my blog under "theater" to see how far I overdid it. But I well and truly wish people would leave those things at home.

Three times now, I have camped at a place near where some person had a projector setup. And twice, the people came around telling me how they were having a "movie night" for the kids. The other time they just did their own thing. But each time, there was literally 25-35 people crammed into a campsite to watch the movie. The noise of the movie, the screaming/laughing kids and light from the projector pretty much ruined my favorite activity of sitting around a nice campfire and trying to metabolize alcohol. One family even played a different movie all 3 nights we were there.

I hate to be the "you kids get off my lawn" type of person, but my thinking is, If you want to watch movies, stay home and watch them. Or if nothing else, a lot of campgrounds have some sort of amphitheater or public space for that sort of thing. Use it, rather than the lot next to someone who just wants a quite evening with Capt. Morgan.

Tim
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
THIS, if I wanted to see a movie and all the associated people/noise/mess I would go to a theater
EDIT; to add I don't drink but do go camping for the 'peace and quite'
Understand yalls point of view BUT can't the same be said when you pull into a campground full of campers, trucks and cars...it's no different than driving into a housing subdivision...to really get away nowadays, you just about have to boondock camp! (Over 8 million RV'ers in the USA)

Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Understand yalls point of view BUT can't the same be said when you pull into a campground full of campers, trucks and cars...it's no different than driving into a housing subdivision...to really get away nowadays, you just about have to boondock camp! (Over 8 million RV'ers in the USA)

Ah! But the thing is... if I choose to partake in a few drinks, it bothers nobody but my liver. You don't have to participate, or even know I am doing it.

But when some person wants to show Cars 2 for all the kiddies across the drive from me, I have no way NOT to be affected by it, short of pulling up stakes. There is a way to accommodate both sides. All I ask is they look for an alternative location where people who don't want to be bothered can enjoy that luxury.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We will sometimes do movies when we camp, but we finish up before quiet hour (we might have pushed it at Goshen though). Watching a movie is no different than a group of people sitting around a fire drinking and laughing, all of which I'm ok with, as long as it's before quiet hour. I've been told to quiet down, and I've done the telling.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
Explorer

Please, please , please think about your fellow camper. Not all movies are family friendly and not all families agree on what’s friendly.
I work in the city where its noise and bright, I work hard to get away to the beautiful, peaceful extraordinary places so I can experience the nature.
Sorry but I have go a step further: the big push for new campers is the outside big screen and surround sound theater systems. Please, please, please slow down and enjoy where you’re at. Just because you can afford it doesn’t mean your neighbor wants to hear it and yes we should care about our neighbors.
None of us “campers” can afford to buy all the parks we stay at, we share them, we are guest. Buy a plot of land and do what you want.
Sorry all, I’ll always try to be a good neighbor
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm usually (and I quickly get told by my wife when I'm not) very considerate of my neighbors. A dead calm night in an RV park before quiet hours is something that rarely happens, especially when you're parked 30' or so from your neighbor. Now, if you're parked in a state park that has large secluded lots, different story. I fully respect the space of others, and keep our fun contained to our site as the night wears on, but not everyone gets away to be zombies around a fire. As some that work in the city everyday, there are some that have that "dead peace and quiet" everyday and get away to be with family and friends. It's not "camping" when you are surrounded by people with large RVs and full hookups, that's "glamping". Be mindful of your neighbors, observe the rules, and relax.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Broken Toe

But back to the OP's question.

I cannot stand to watch a movie on a sheet or a white wall. I guess my Da-Lite screen with Video Spectra 1.5 Fabric has spoiled me. It's a 1.5 gain 70 degree angle screen, as opposed to a cotton sheet which is about 0.4 gain.

It's so bright that I have dropped my projector light output to the lowest setting. It can cause afterimages and be uncomfortable if you watch on the highest setting. You can get a 110' drop down screen for $200.

Da-Lite 36467-White 109" Diag. 57.5x92 Model B Projector Screen, 16:10 Format, Video Spectra Fabric

A couple hooks or bungees to mount it and you are good to go.

You can actually take a cheaper projector and get a better image with a good screen, than use a $1000 more expensive projector on a sheet.

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cowracer, Is this a screen you use outside? I'm looking for new outdoor screen for home use. The only downside I can see is the limited viewing angle.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Cowracer, Is this a screen you use outside? I'm looking for new outdoor screen for home use. The only downside I can see is the limited viewing angle.
I'm sure you can use the screen in the link outside. I would set it up so I could take it down when I am not using it.

My home theater screen is definitely not for outdoor use.

the 35 degree viewing angle is just the angle where gain stays above 1.0. Its not like the old rear projection screens with a Fresnel lens where its unwatchable outside the viewing angle. Mine is watchable out to about 70 degrees in a dark room.

Lacking that, the Da-Lite Matte White fabric might fit your bill better. You're gonna loose some gain, but you'll get a much flatter response on the viewing angle. Either way, much better than a cotton sheet, or God Forbid, a white fiberglass camper side.

Da-Lite | Projector Screens | Podium | Headphones | TV Cart | AV Carts | Projection Screens | Lecterns: Matte White Home Theater

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I'm sure you can use the screen in the link outside. I would set it up so I could take it down when I am not using it.

My home theater screen is definitely not for outdoor use.

the 35 degree viewing angle is just the angle where gain stays above 1.0. Its not like the old rear projection screens with a Fresnel lens where its unwatchable outside the viewing angle. Mine is watchable out to about 70 degrees in a dark room.

Lacking that, the Da-Lite Matte White fabric might fit your bill better. You're gonna loose some gain, but you'll get a much flatter response on the viewing angle. Either way, much better than a cotton sheet, or God Forbid, a white fiberglass camper side.

Da-Lite | Projector Screens | Podium | Headphones | TV Cart | AV Carts | Projection Screens | Lecterns: Matte White Home Theater

Tim
I was looking at the Elite Screens, I know the gain is not as good as the Da-Lites, but I can get a 236", which should fit my hoist system fairly well, and not break the bank. Do you have any experience with these? My homemade screen does work surprising well outside, given that we are usually 30-50' away from the screen, most adults are seeing double, and the kids are floating in the pool.