Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
WFD

Propane tank switching lever

Looking to have a better understanding of my automatic switchover lever for my dual propane tanks. I understand that when one tank is empty it switches to the other tank as long as the other tank is turned open. In the photo I have attached the indicator has gone from green to red. The lever is pointed towards the tank in the picture. The system has switched over to the tank on the other side of the trailer. So do all I need to do now is manually switch the lever to the other direction? And the indicator will return to green. For some reason I was under the impression the lever will automatically flip on its own to show that is now taking from the other tank.
Can anyone shed light on this for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020150.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	90354  
Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Just move the lever to the full tank (with valve open), turn off the valve to the empty tank, get it filled, return to the rack, and then turn it back on. Back and forth between the 2 tanks like that works great.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #3

The external valve shows you which tank you are currently drawing from when the tanks are full or have gas in them. When that tank goes empty, the internal valve flips and starts to pull gas from the other tank. The external "display" goes red, and the external valve continues to point to the tank that is now empty. Think about it if the external valve "flipped" over too, you would not know which tank was empty. So like the previous poster said, simply flip the valve over to the other tank (now you know which tank is in use). Shut down the empty tank, have it filled, hook it back up and open the tank valve. Now that tank is ready for when the other tank becomes empty.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank