Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #21
We have a pair of walkie talkies in the truck. My DW has nooooo problem talking. So when we get to a camp site I turn them on (make sure you turn them ON. You can guess why.) and send her off. This way I don't have to see her when backing up, because believe me I will hear her and she will tell me exactly where "she" wants the camper. LOL

2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #22
We just got our first camper this year and by the third time out my wife was a pro at backing me in to hook up. I think she has only missed by about half an inch, once, since then.

Backing into the sight is a different story. She forgets that yelling "right" to me means move the trailer to the right, not the truck. Sometimes she yells right just to verify I am moving correctly regardless of apparent direction. All while hiding in my blind spot and using hand signals for the squirrels. 

ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
We do the same thing with walkie-talkies, but we use "driver" & "passenger" instead of left and right.
Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #24
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I pre-cut a dowel (actually an old broom handle) for exactly the distance my slide takes. I keep it in an outside compartment. It is easy to run the dowel along the side to see if it hits anything.

Even DW can do it quickly and let me know if I need to shift left or right without getting out of the cab.
I do the same thing Lou except mine is a piece of grey PVC.
I painted the ends red.
I place one end of the pvc pipe against whatever sticks out the furthest and then I place my tires about an inch away from the other end.

I went one step further and marked same pipe with the height of the bottom of my slide.
I use this as a gauge to make sure the slide will clear any obstacles that may stick up from the ground like a water hook-up or a rock.

2009 Flagstaff 8528 RKSS
2007 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8
Pullrite Superglide 14K
Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
Originally Posted by DF5.4 View Post
The one thing I have to keep reminding my DW is that if she can not see my mirrors, I can not see her. She get a little upset with me because I will stop moving until I can see her when backing into a site.
Now, where have I heard THAT before? LOL. And I keep telling my DH that I won't let him hit me or anything else, so as long as he keeps going straight back, he's okay. Sometimes you just have to move to look at the other side, etc. But I get the "argument."
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #26
We solved this problem the DW backs in trailer and the DH gives the directions, and DW looks through the mirrors to make sure DH is right on with the directions! This works so much better! So far this year only had one crazy campground with a road so tight and a fence next to the road, and had to back in at a somewhat stupid angle. The sourpuss campground guy insisted on directing, and I insisted on us not ever getting that site again!
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #27
DW and DH during back ups

Hey, hadn't thought about using doweling or string. Surveyor tape would work too. Great ideas!! Walkie talkies are saving our marriage. I just tell my DH which way the backend has to go and how far. So far no fist fights. Trouble is, I was so used to yelling the directions that I still yell into the radio.
follow-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #28
To everybody in the TV backing up the TT. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU CAN SEE YOUR HELPER !!!
Case in point, my father-in law was in the car one day waiting for my mother-in law to come out of the house. He was thinking of moving the car closer to the sidewalk for her to get in (they lived in an apartment complex). Something told him to get out of the car to see where she was and to his surprise, there she was laying on the ground BEHIND THE CAR!! She had slipped on a patch of ice and struck her head and was laying there dazed. She was OK but it scared the bejesus out of him that he could have backed over her.
So, don't move unless you see your helper. They could have tripped walking backwards directing you in or while running from one side to the other checking for clearance.

Just my word of caution.
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #29
For hooking up trailer I use wireless camera. For backing into campsite, I use 5 soccer orange cones that I put where I want my trailer tires to follow as I can see them in the outside mirrors. Also use one cone where I want the back of the trailer to be when I need to stop. DW will let me know when to stop. Easy and no issues.
Attached Images
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #30
Good help

Pulled up to my site this SAT. and and a guy comes running to help.
Tells me to pull a U turn and attack the site from a different angle .
Worked out real well ,was jacking in less than 10 minutes..
Turns out as He was backing into his spot the day before he damaged his front bumper on his newer truck when the bottom of it dragged on a rock in a hill directly in front of his site---while some other camper was watching him (clown). The guy actually said ( "cut it a little short HUH.")
Some people are do- gooders and actually DO GOOD>
And some people are useless- Just got to identify them sooner.

Rich + Lori -2006 salem 27BHSS/2004 Avalanche
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote