Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #61

My first experience backing our 35' trailer into a site was at night during a thunderstorm. Nailed it on the first try. Felt like "super-rv'r" after that! Then I stood there holding that big 'ole 30amp cable in the rain while standing in a puddle of water and thought "you read about this in the paper..." RV'ing has a way of presenting you with challenges and it's dealing with those challenges that makes you better! After 10 trips now I say "bring it on!!" Now if I can just get my DW to understand that mirror thing....
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #62
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog99 View Post
My first experience backing our 35' trailer into a site was at night during a thunderstorm. Nailed it on the first try. Felt like "super-rv'r" after that! Then I stood there holding that big 'ole 30amp cable in the rain while standing in a puddle of water and thought "you read about this in the paper..." RV'ing has a way of presenting you with challenges and it's dealing with those challenges that makes you better! After 10 trips now I say "bring it on!!" Now if I can just get my DW to understand that mirror thing....
You mean mine's not the only one that wants to srand directly behind the trailer and get mad when I say "I cant see you!"
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
You mean mine's not the only one that wants to srand directly behind the trailer and get mad when I say "I cant see you!"
Been there - lived that

Walkie talkies help a lot.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #64

Man I love this site, this is my first trailer with slide-outs. I wouldn't have thought about doing that until I got the site and was doing a thousand pull-ups. It should be a walk in the park compared to the 48' trailers I drive at work. Well one more thing to go on the to-do list. Thanks
2012 reserved/camped (17/4)

RonLynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #65

Whenever possible I like to have the site to my drivers side. This way I can see exactly what the trailer is doing and not have to worry about hitting something on the other side of the camper. All DW has to do is make sure I don't back up too far and hit something. I usually back in once as far as I can then pull forward to straighten out then back up and put it on leveling blocks. The new trailer is quite a bit longer than my old trailer so I suspect I'll have to make a few more forward and back passes to get it just right but having the site opening on my side makes it so much easier than backing it in from the other direction. My wife also has a tendency of disappearing from view when I'm backing up and she doesn't understand why I stop when I can't see her.
I am also 1 of those guys that usually comes over to help if I can see a couple having trouble getting a trailer into a spot. I usually wait until its obvious they are having trouble, then I'll come over and ask if they need a hand. Most times the help is accepted, usually by the wife. Most often the trouble is the driver doesn't know which way to turn the steering wheel to manipulate the trailer in the direction that it needs to go.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #66

Im thinkin, wounder about one of those fiberglass bicycle rods with the flag on top woult work if it were cut to the propper length, then it could slide into a tube that could be mounted to the bumper and or maby the front of a coach, sounds simple and affective
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #67
Site Team

[QUOTE=PrairieBoy;174942]Whenever possible I like to have the site to my drivers side. This way I can see exactly what the trailer is doing and not have to worry about hitting something on the other side of the camper. All DW has to do is make sure I don't back up too far and hit something. I usually back in once as far as I can then pull forward to straighten out then back up and put it on leveling blocks. The new trailer is quite a bit longer than my old trailer so I suspect I'll have to make a few more forward and back passes to get it just right but having the site opening on my side makes it so much easier than backing it in from the other direction. My wife also has a tendency of disappearing from view when I'm backing up and she doesn't understand why I stop when I can't see her.
I am also 1 of those guys that usually comes over to help if I can see a couple having trouble getting a trailer into a spot. I usually wait until its obvious they are having trouble, then I'll come over and ask if they need a hand. Most times the help is accepted, usually by the wife. Most often the trouble is the driver doesn't know which way to turn the steering wheel to manipulate the trailer in the direction that it needs to go.[/QUOTE]

I understand that the trailer will move in the other direction but being a short gal it's real hard to see the direction of the truck tires when I am told to straighten them out. This is pretty much a blind move for me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Been there - lived that

Walkie talkies help a lot.
Tried walkie talkies when we first got our Rockwood Roo. Gave them up after one or two outings, as we had more problems then hand signals. With the walkie talkies, we debated the issues too much.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote