Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
transamz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
I get in the boat and the wife backs me down. When we load. I drop her at the dock/ramp and she gets the truck and backs it down. Once on the trailer and hooked she takes it the parking lot to finish up.
__________________

__________________
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Phlunky
 
essness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Lake Geneva Wisconsin
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
I get in the boat and the wife backs me down. When we load. I drop her at the dock/ramp and she gets the truck and backs it down. Once on the trailer and hooked she takes it the parking lot to finish up.
I adore the woman, but my wife struggles going forward with no trailer
__________________

__________________
Scot, I am "that guy"
2014 Raptor 27FS
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
transamz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
I adore the woman, but my wife struggles going forward with no trailer
Not making fun just aughing with you. You wouldn't believe the guys with 50-60,000 dollar bass boats can't back them down the ramp. They watch my wife with amazement when she is backing it down the ramp.
__________________
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
The key it seems is prepping the boat WHILE you wait your turn, not once it's your turn! We live a block from the lake and I choose to keep the boat in the garage rather than in the water. We prep the boat in the drive and then head to the launch. I cant tell you how many times we sit and wait for the person in front of us to get their turn, they back the boat down, struggle with getting it off and tied to the single deep pier, then they start unloading the coolers, dog, kids, and gear into the boat
Which of course turns me into "that guy" that needs to ask them why they didnt load up the boat while they waited for the previous 2 boats to launch.
We, like yourself, take about 30 seconds to launch and maybe 3 mins to pull out. We do it often, and we think it through. It's a single launch with only a single depth pier. So, you have to wait for the one in front of you to completely clear before you can launch.
My wife weighs in at about 120-125lbs and there is always someone there that wants to help her tend the lines especially when I "pop" the brake to get the boat off the trailer.
None the less, it's always entertaining to sit at any launch, anywhere in the world anjust watch the interaction between the people
My favorite addition to those that must do it all while on the ramp, is after they get all loaded up, tied up at the ramp pier, they park the truck when they suddenly realize they forgot the plug!!! What a scramble then, absolute caos!

With camping, I tend to find the most amusement at the dump station. I've made my mistakes for sure but have been Lucky enough not to have them witnessed. We all have to learn and find our way, but it sure can be funny when it happens.

My biggest faux pas happened at home (thank goodness). After returning home from a weekend at a state park (I have sewer hookup at the house) I went to dump my black tank. I opened the cap on the TT with a woooosh! I quickly realized that after my last dump I forgot to close the dump valve on the black tank. Thank goodness my training as a firefighter paid off and I never place myself in front of a cap I am removing (habit) so I only got splashed pretty good. I had quick wits and closed the valve with only about a gallon discharge. I showered for what seemed a week!!!!!!!! I can only imagine the laughter that I would have heard if I would have done this at the dump site at the CG on a Sunday morning at 10 a.m.
__________________
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #45
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
And you are pushing vs backing it up.
Actually... we weren't pushing like we was supposed to - we were routinely backing up CF101s into the alert hangars and it had a longish tow bar like the Starfighter, which made the maneuvering that much more challenging. I would never do that though - it was always them guys on the other crew.
__________________
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
transamz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
My favorite addition to those that must do it all while on the ramp, is after they get all loaded up, tied up at the ramp pier, they park the truck when they suddenly realize they forgot the plug!!! What a scramble then, absolute caos!

With camping, I tend to find the most amusement at the dump station. I've made my mistakes for sure but have been Lucky enough not to have them witnessed. We all have to learn and find our way, but it sure can be funny when it happens.

My biggest faux pas happened at home (thank goodness). After returning home from a weekend at a state park (I have sewer hookup at the house) I went to dump my black tank. I opened the cap on the TT with a woooosh! I quickly realized that after my last dump I forgot to close the dump valve on the black tank. Thank goodness my training as a firefighter paid off and I never place myself in front of a cap I am removing (habit) so I only got splashed pretty good. I had quick wits and closed the valve with only about a gallon discharge. I showered for what seemed a week!!!!!!!! I can only imagine the laughter that I would have heard if I would have done this at the dump site at the CG on a Sunday morning at 10 a.m.
I wouldn't have laughed at you........well maybe a little on my way to help you. I would have gladly hosed you down........:trin k39:
__________________
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
great white's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Actually... we weren't pushing like we was supposed to - we were routinely backing up CF101s into the alert hangars and it had a longish tow bar like the Starfighter, which made the maneuvering that much more challenging. I would never do that though - it was always them guys on the other crew.
Same here. Pushing gets to be too easy after you done it a couple thousand times.

We would eventually start backing just for the challenge of it.

Kept the skills sharp for whatever the situation called for....
__________________

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #48
Member
 
paulmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kingston NY
Posts: 95
My father-in-law and I were sitting at our site watching a guy backing in a pop up camper and when he had it positioned we walked over to "lend a hand". Which he did not want. He proceeded to unhook the camper before chocking the wheels and the ground was sloped towards a lake. Needles to say it began to roll and his wife was screaming. Lucikly we had stayed near by and were able to catch it before it gathered speed and went swimming. That's what we were going to tell him that the site was sloped and we noticed he had not chocked the wheels.
__________________
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
My father-in-law and I were sitting at our site watching a guy backing in a pop up camper and when he had it positioned we walked over to "lend a hand". Which he did not want. He proceeded to unhook the camper before chocking the wheels and the ground was sloped towards a lake. Needles to say it began to roll and his wife was screaming. Lucikly we had stayed near by and were able to catch it before it gathered speed and went swimming. That's what we were going to tell him that the site was sloped and we noticed he had not chocked the wheels.

Lesson learned,,, accept all help, contrary to my earlier posting.
__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Have your parking helper stand beside the unit when stopped with their side against the unit, and extend their arm out from their side, that should give you the slide clearance.
__________________

__________________
Bob Norquay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.