Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Personally, when I did research to decide on what to replace my tires with- it was either Goodyear Marathon or Maxxis m8008. I opted for the Maxxis, but would have been happy with either.

I ordered mine from discounttiredirect.com and took them 2 by 2 into a local tire shop for mounting (and should have had them balanced but got talked out of it).

Hey Ependydad, I'm just curious about what the tire shop told you to talk you out of balancing your tires ?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Hey Ependydad, I'm just curious about what the tire shop told you to talk you out of balancing your tires ?

Just that trailer tires typically aren't balanced and 2 of the guys made a big deal about it needing 3.5 (something) of weight. They said it was a lot to hang off of a tire.

However, it was a Merchant Tire kind of place who typically do passenger cars and light trucks, so they were definitely out of their element.

But, I also wasn't informed enough to tell them to do other things to achieve balance or to tell them to go ahead anyway. Next time I'll take the tires to a truck shop or trailer place.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I suspect whomever it was, they just didn't want to balance them. I've never been to a tire shop that didn't suggest balancing all tires. It's just common practice at most reputable shops. Tires need to be balanced to get optimum wear and minimize undue wear on the vehicle suspension.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #24

I've had tires requiring A LOT of weight to bring them into a balance. The tire guys simply re-broke the bead and spun the carcass around on the rim 180 degrees and Voila! they balanced up perfectly with very little weight. No biggie.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I've had tires requiring A LOT of weight to bring them into a balance. The tire guys simply re-broke the bead and spun the carcass around on the rim 180 degrees and Voila! they balanced up perfectly with very little weight. No biggie.
X2, and 3.5 oz is not too much wt to hang on a wheel, altho if they had broken the tire down and rotated it like rattleNsmoke suggested, it probably would have taken a lot less. As for the shop being out of their element on trailer tires, the tires/wheels are similar to cars and light trucks. They just didn't want to balance them IMO.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

As I said - I was out of my element with it all and couldn't stand to make an argument either way.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
As I said - I was out of my element with it all and couldn't stand to make an argument either way.
Just a suggestion, even tho it might be a PITA, I would make a point of taking the trailer to a shop and have them balanced. Good tires like you put on are too expensive to have them prematurely worn out from cupping from being out of balance. A good estimate would be the life would be reduced by @ least 25% or more.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Fulltime family RVer

That's a thought I've had. I'd actually like to find a truck place that can take care of it all at once without making 2 trips (doing either side at a time). There's a truck stop up the road that I'll call come spring.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
Site Team

My 2005 Jayco came with Maxxis. Towed more than 25,000 miles in 5 years. No flats, no uneven wear. Sold it with original tires. My 2010 wildcat came with 10 ply Trail Express. 3 out of 4 blew out from 1500 to 4000 miles. 4th tire was about to blow but I saw the tread separating.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #30
RKR

Quote:
Just that trailer tires typically aren't balanced and 2 of the guys made a big deal about it needing 3.5 (something) of weight. They said it was a lot to hang off of a tire.

However, it was a Merchant Tire kind of place who typically do passenger cars and light trucks, so they were definitely out of their element.

But, I also wasn't informed enough to tell them to do other things to achieve balance or to tell them to go ahead anyway. Next time I'll take the tires to a truck shop or trailer place.

10-4 , I was just curious. Thanks

Tags
tire, tires