Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Steel trailer rims require using a finger adapter when mounted on the tire balancer. They are stud centric, using the studs to center the rim on the axle. The rims are stamped steel and their center hole is not necessarily concentric. Reputable shops that do tire work should have these adapters, if they know how to use them is another question.
Aluminum rims can be balanced without the adapters as their center hole is concentric due to the manufacturing and machining process; however, if it's a large rim, i.e.16", it would be wise to use the adapter to provide better support when the rim is mounted on the tire balancer.
THANKS! I knew I read that somewhere.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
We were told that balancing the coach wheels were not necessary as they are aluminum 18" pieces. Never really went along with that idea, thinking before we leave for Alaska next summer to get all balanced off the coach and install the nitrogen!
Definitely get them balanced, but the consensus is "Pass" on the Nitrogen. MANY threads here on why.

Unless you are the space shuttle, NASCAR driver, or a Concord, inflight/post crash fires are not a big concern for you.

Do Nitrogen-Filled Tires Enhance Fuel-Efficiency?: Scientific American

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/au...MOTO.html?_r=0

Tires - Nitrogen air loss study
Attached Files
File Type: pdf N2 debate molecule size graham.pdf (76.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf The Truths and Myths of nitrogen.pdf (348.2 KB, 59 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #43

East Texan,

We have an XLR toyhauler with Provider tires. I have attached a photo. As you can see, the tread peeled right off the thing. Luckily we were in traffic and only going about 30 mph when it happened and the guy next to us let us know. The tire still had air in it when we pulled over. But by the time we got stopped we have over $1000 damages not including the tire.

Supposedly the Provider is made by Taskmaster and are available at Discount Tire. Pricing is as follows:

Provider - $130
Carlile - $138
GY Marathon - $139
Maxxis - $178

I have used the Maxxis and GY before and of course Provider - no failures with the GY or Maxxis. The Maxxis is heavier, stiffer and has 3 ply sidewalls compared to the other tires which have 2. I have decided to go with the Maxxis. More $ but am hoping no more trouble.

Forest River has not responded to any of my emails! I have a call into them now, but no return. Do they care???

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #44
Always Learning

rickfox, when I contacted the maker of my tires about a tire issue that I was having, I was referred to contact Lionshead tire since they were the supplier to Sabre. I'm not sure if they're the same for XLR.

Brenda Speicher
Warranty Manager
PH:574-533-6169
Fax: 574-533-6761

p.s.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfox View Post
East Texan,

We have an XLR toyhauler with Provider tires. I have attached a photo. As you can see, the tread peeled right off the thing. Luckily we were in traffic and only going about 30 mph when it happened and the guy next to us let us know. The tire still had air in it when we pulled over. But by the time we got stopped we have over $1000 damages not including the tire.

Supposedly the Provider is made by Taskmaster and are available at Discount Tire. Pricing is as follows:

Provider - $130
Carlile - $138
GY Marathon - $139
Maxxis - $178

I have used the Maxxis and GY before and of course Provider - no failures with the GY or Maxxis. The Maxxis is heavier, stiffer and has 3 ply sidewalls compared to the other tires which have 2. I have decided to go with the Maxxis. More $ but am hoping no more trouble.

Forest River has not responded to any of my emails! I have a call into them now, but no return. Do they care???

IMO this is a supplier problem not FR unless you think they should use the more expensive tires based on the premise that you will have few if any problems.

You really need to contact the tire manufacturer about this and file a report.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #46
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Given information from Tireman9 (a tire engineer) - we need to make sure we're filing NHTSA complaints for these things.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #47

Am I'm fixing my TT due to a separated tire, switching over to a 215/75-14. Went to get the other tire from shop to change that tire out dang it was separated too. Least it didn't come apart. These where Maxxis m8008 date code of 0410.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #48

Quote:
East Texan,

Provider - $130
Carlile - $138
GY Marathon - $139
Maxxis - $178

I appreciate the reply, I will definitely be getting the replaced.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #49

Has anyone had any success contacting the tire manufacturers? I have sent an email to Taskmaster but no response yet. My question is why would Taskmaster care about me since they make their money from FR - not me.

Our previous trailer was a 2006 Montana, that had the infamous Tireco tires. When these tires started failing, Montana did their part and assisted its customers in getting the tires recalled and replaced. To say that the trailer manufacturer is in no way responsible for the vendors THEY select may work in the short run, but word gets around when manufacturers use substandard materials in the manufacture of their products. By the way, Montana has the No. 1 selling product line, in part I believe, because they have a desire to provide a good product that they are willing to stand behind.

As an FR customer I expect FR to treat me as I was treated by Montana when I was their customer! After all, I bought the trailer from FR, not some China based 3rd tier tire manufacturer.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #50

Quote:
After all, I bought the trailer from FR, not some China based 3rd tier tire manufacturer.
EXACTLY. Mine is at the dealer right now for a tire/tire wear issue. Will see how that goes.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #51
Always Learning

Quality of Tires?

rickfox, the tire manufacturer didn't help me at all. They pointed me at the supplier to Sabre/FR.

If you want FR to respond to you, you'll need to contact the warranty rep for your specific company.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #52

I have tried to contact Diane at XLR/FR warranty. She has been helpful in the past on other issues, but has not responded on the tire issue.

As I mentioned in an earlier response, I listed 4 different tire brands that are available from Discount Tire. Unfortunately (but not suprising) the Provider brand tire was the least expensive! For years, I have been very careful and babied my trailer tires - making sure they were at the correct pressures, not hitting things with them etc.

I also religiously use a TST tire pressure monitoring system. Generally speaking I have had good luck with the monitoring system which has caught road hazard issues on numerous occassions - mostly nails, bolts, tire tread gashes. In every single case I have been able to get pulled to the side of the road before pressure was down to zero with no trailer damage. On two occasions I have had tread separation problems. In these two situations I sustained trailer damage. Pressure monitoring systems can not save the day. Only tires that are built good enough to stay together can do that.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
OC....In your opinion, what is the leading cause to RV tire failure?
Googled "why do tires fail" and found this.
and THIS
and this
Notice a common thread?

I have written on the topic of why tires fail in general and more specific why tires have Blowouts a number of times and provide engineering analysis.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Couple questions

If you had a failure did you file a complaint with NHTSA? Bad tires will never be recalled if there are no complaints filed.

Do you use TPMS? Some insist that because they checked inflation 2 hours before failure or 200 miles before failure they "know" they did not have air loss due to puncture or valve failure. TPMS can warn you when the tire looses air so you have time to prevent a slow air leak from turning into a Blowout with $$$ worth of RV damage?

If you have multi axle trailer do you ALWAYS run the pressure on the tire sidewall? If not do you have the finite element engineering analysis experience to understand why this is a bad thing?
You might want to read THIS post.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #55

Old saying

IF YOU USE IT, YOU WILL LOSE IT...Same thing goes for tires that sit and literately DRY ROOT FROM JUST SITTING TO DARN LONG. We are guilty of it also, we all hate to take what looks like a brand new tire off and throw it away just because of the date code. If were to take one off and look inside, you would see why. We didn't and sure enough, 96 miles out on a trip, tires started blowing:
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #56
Happy owner SOB

I have put about 6000 miles on my 2012 since purchase, just had to replace all 4 because of major sidewall failure. Fortunately I caught it before they let go. They looked fine when I left home 12\4 and fine all along the trip, I check daily, then suddenly all4 have 6 to 8 inch cracks about 1/4 inch deep, 1/4 inch wide. Just crap tires.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I have put about 6000 miles on my 2012 since purchase, just had to replace all 4 because of major sidewall failure. Fortunately I caught it before they let go. They looked fine when I left home 12\4 and fine all along the trip, I check daily, then suddenly all4 have 6 to 8 inch cracks about 1/4 inch deep, 1/4 inch wide. Just crap tires.
Something is wrong. Have you captures sharp pictures of the failed areas? Did you record the full DOT serial. You should file a complaint with NHTSA along with demanding some adjustment of the failed tires.

MORE INFO AND DETAILS APPRECIATED.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Some comments on tire age & storage

There is usually a reason for a tire to fail and it is not as simple as just reading the date code.

How was it stored?
RV Tire Safety: Should I jack up my RV?

RV Tire Safety: Long Term Parking - Winterizing

This will have a big impact on tire life.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #59
Happy owner SOB

I don't think it sits long enough for storage to be the cause. Used about every 6 weeks min, tire pressure at full sidewall # of 55 lbs parked on the north side of the house in the shade, on concrete. I kept the tires and will post pictures mid Feb when I get home. I am planning on filing a complaint.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I don't think it sits long enough for storage to be the cause. Used about every 6 weeks min, tire pressure at full sidewall # of 55 lbs parked on the north side of the house in the shade, on concrete. I kept the tires and will post pictures mid Feb when I get home. I am planning on filing a complaint.
Be sure to visit the NHTSA site so you know the information they need for your complaint to be valid. Tire DOT, vehicle VIN etc.

Tags
tire, tires