Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #51
Fulltime family RVer

Quality of Tires?

rickfox, the tire manufacturer didn't help me at all. They pointed me at the supplier to Sabre/FR.

If you want FR to respond to you, you'll need to contact the warranty rep for your specific company.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #52

I have tried to contact Diane at XLR/FR warranty. She has been helpful in the past on other issues, but has not responded on the tire issue.

As I mentioned in an earlier response, I listed 4 different tire brands that are available from Discount Tire. Unfortunately (but not suprising) the Provider brand tire was the least expensive! For years, I have been very careful and babied my trailer tires - making sure they were at the correct pressures, not hitting things with them etc.

I also religiously use a TST tire pressure monitoring system. Generally speaking I have had good luck with the monitoring system which has caught road hazard issues on numerous occassions - mostly nails, bolts, tire tread gashes. In every single case I have been able to get pulled to the side of the road before pressure was down to zero with no trailer damage. On two occasions I have had tread separation problems. In these two situations I sustained trailer damage. Pressure monitoring systems can not save the day. Only tires that are built good enough to stay together can do that.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
OC....In your opinion, what is the leading cause to RV tire failure?
Googled "why do tires fail" and found this.
and THIS
and this
Notice a common thread?

I have written on the topic of why tires fail in general and more specific why tires have Blowouts a number of times and provide engineering analysis.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Couple questions

If you had a failure did you file a complaint with NHTSA? Bad tires will never be recalled if there are no complaints filed.

Do you use TPMS? Some insist that because they checked inflation 2 hours before failure or 200 miles before failure they "know" they did not have air loss due to puncture or valve failure. TPMS can warn you when the tire looses air so you have time to prevent a slow air leak from turning into a Blowout with $$$ worth of RV damage?

If you have multi axle trailer do you ALWAYS run the pressure on the tire sidewall? If not do you have the finite element engineering analysis experience to understand why this is a bad thing?
You might want to read THIS post.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #55

Old saying

IF YOU USE IT, YOU WILL LOSE IT...Same thing goes for tires that sit and literately DRY ROOT FROM JUST SITTING TO DARN LONG. We are guilty of it also, we all hate to take what looks like a brand new tire off and throw it away just because of the date code. If were to take one off and look inside, you would see why. We didn't and sure enough, 96 miles out on a trip, tires started blowing:
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #56
Happy owner SOB

I have put about 6000 miles on my 2012 since purchase, just had to replace all 4 because of major sidewall failure. Fortunately I caught it before they let go. They looked fine when I left home 12\4 and fine all along the trip, I check daily, then suddenly all4 have 6 to 8 inch cracks about 1/4 inch deep, 1/4 inch wide. Just crap tires.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I have put about 6000 miles on my 2012 since purchase, just had to replace all 4 because of major sidewall failure. Fortunately I caught it before they let go. They looked fine when I left home 12\4 and fine all along the trip, I check daily, then suddenly all4 have 6 to 8 inch cracks about 1/4 inch deep, 1/4 inch wide. Just crap tires.
Something is wrong. Have you captures sharp pictures of the failed areas? Did you record the full DOT serial. You should file a complaint with NHTSA along with demanding some adjustment of the failed tires.

MORE INFO AND DETAILS APPRECIATED.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Some comments on tire age & storage

There is usually a reason for a tire to fail and it is not as simple as just reading the date code.

How was it stored?
RV Tire Safety: Should I jack up my RV?

RV Tire Safety: Long Term Parking - Winterizing

This will have a big impact on tire life.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #59
Happy owner SOB

I don't think it sits long enough for storage to be the cause. Used about every 6 weeks min, tire pressure at full sidewall # of 55 lbs parked on the north side of the house in the shade, on concrete. I kept the tires and will post pictures mid Feb when I get home. I am planning on filing a complaint.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I don't think it sits long enough for storage to be the cause. Used about every 6 weeks min, tire pressure at full sidewall # of 55 lbs parked on the north side of the house in the shade, on concrete. I kept the tires and will post pictures mid Feb when I get home. I am planning on filing a complaint.
Be sure to visit the NHTSA site so you know the information they need for your complaint to be valid. Tire DOT, vehicle VIN etc.

RV Tire Safety Blog

Tags
tire, tires