Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #61
2003 Georgetown 325

Tires

I have enjoyed reading about different experiences on tires. Just a note to remind everyone to locate the DOT date on the tire. It might be that the tire is considerably older than the rig it is on. Tires left on the shelf can begin to dry rot thus problems show themselves early on. Knowing the date the tire was manufactured will help you gauge what kind of problems you might be facing.
Just a thought.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #62

We will be taking delivery on a 2014 Columbus 320 RS this month and my first task will be to remove the 5 OEM tires and mount up 5 MICHELIN® LTX® M/S2 and install a TPMS.
mcra46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #63

I must be the luckiest guy going. I got nine years out of the stock Duro bias ply tires on my old TT, no clue on miles but I'd have to guess as high as 15,000 or so. They weren't worn out, but the sidewalls started weather checking pretty badly so I replaced them with Duro radials three years ago and they were gorgeous when I traded it in.

I've got Westlake Super ST tires on my 5er, the reviews look pretty nice but time will tell.

I monitor pressure and check them before every trip, I also keep them balanced. I'm planning on taking my 5er by my tire shop to get it's tires balanced next time I take it out. Balancing will greatly increase a tires life up to tread delamination in my opinion. The high frequency vibration actually weakens the bond over time.

Personal experience, but it seems to be tires regularly balanced experience fewer failures.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #64
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcra46 View Post
We will be taking delivery on a 2014 Columbus 320 RS this month and my first task will be to remove the 5 OEM tires and mount up 5 MICHELIN® LTX® M/S2 and install a TPMS.
Why are you doing the change?

Did you tell the dealer that they need to do a tire swap if they want to make the sale?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiver View Post
I have enjoyed reading about different experiences on tires. Just a note to remind everyone to locate the DOT date on the tire. It might be that the tire is considerably older than the rig it is on. Tires left on the shelf can begin to dry rot thus problems show themselves early on. Knowing the date the tire was manufactured will help you gauge what kind of problems you might be facing.
Just a thought.
Good idea. Everyone should have the full DOT, including the date, written down. If you hear about a tire recall its easier to check your notes than crawl under the RV every time you hear about a tire problem on the brand & size you have.
Also IF you have a tire failure you will need the DOT to file a claim with the tire company and to file a complaint with NHTSA. Sometimes the DOT is destroyed when the tire fails so you then have no documentation on what you had.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Why are you doing the change?

Did you tell the dealer that they need to do a tire swap if they want to make the sale?
I have been in transportation maintenance for 40 years and have experienced a lot of Asian manufactured parts and tires and witnessed both professionally and personally the damage these products can cause when they fail. I did request a tire upgrade from the factory and they do not offer one.
Mike
mcra46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #67

After many blowouts, weight distribution, tire inflation checks, speed limiting, cool running at 55-65 MPH, and adding heavier spring suspension, adding Equi-Flex spring absorption equalizers, I found out through an article in last months Good Sam mag about most tires being made in China! They aren't manufactured to all US standards. Also, see the video for extra knowledge on what goes on while you're driving here at . I will be changing to larger rims and Goodyear Marathons, although reading the restrictions of the tire manufacturers tells me that even they aren't rated for today's conditions. Bottom line is to do as much research and load your vehicle properly.

https://www.TCCMinistries.org
2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Mega-Cab
6.7 Cummins w/Edge Products Juice w/Attitude,
Mag-Hytech Trans & Differential extra cap. covers
Weekend Warrior 28' Toy Hauler Tow behind
CircuitRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #68

Few people really consider the genuine stresses placed on the parts that do the dirty work. Suspension systems are forced to deal with thousands of pounds on their backs, the shock of tires hitting holes, rocks, curbs, the torsional forces when brakes are applied, the side loads when turning and next time you see someone back up watch the tires on a tandem setup. They twist against each other.

And tires, just the fact that they hold back 80PSI is amazing. Consider the square inches that comprise the inner wall of a tire. My rough estimate is 576SI, times 80PSI=46,080 pounds of force. Yes, 46,080 pounds of total force is applied to that tire overall. No wonder blowouts are so violent.

That's why we need to take care of our stuff. Low pressure causes the sidewall to flex, which works the cords excessively, which is just like bending a paper clip back and forth until it breaks. Ever wonder how low pressure causes a blowout? There's how.

Also, low pressure means that a road hazard caves into the tire, causing it to apply excessive force rearward against the suspension whereas a properly inflated tire will deform much less before climbing over the hazard allowing the suspension to flex in it's intended direction.

There's a lot going on, no wonder we have so many tire issues.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #69

Larger Tires and Wheels

When we purchased out new Crusader 270RET, it came with the optional 18" wheel and tire combination, standard size were the 16" Steel Wheels. The coach weighs in at 8870 Dry, have not weighed it wet, will do that on the morning we pull out to Canada/Alaska, for that will be the most loaded it has ever been. After 2500 miles the combination seems to be working fine.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #70
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
When we purchased out new Crusader 270RET, it came with the optional 18" wheel and tire combination, standard size were the 16" Steel Wheels. The coach weighs in at 8870 Dry, have not weighed it wet, will do that on the morning we pull out to Canada/Alaska, for that will be the most loaded it has ever been. After 2500 miles the combination seems to be working fine.
Might consider weighting it before the day you leave, you might find you want to re-consider what you're taking.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #71

Before hand

When we returned from Goshen last year, kind of had a meeting of the mines, well sort of. Carrying three sets of dish's, two sets of silver ware and two sets of pots and pans, well she agreed to downsize, especially when she looked at the gas receipts from such a short trip. Now we only have one set of each, not china but Merrimack plates etc; Know we were probably carrying an extra thousand pounds in stuff we never used. Thanks for the tip, are you back home yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Might consider weighting it before the day you leave, you might find you want to re-consider what you're taking.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #72
Mod free 5er

We came back from FL grossly overloaded, 200+ lbs of alum tubing, 3 extra 30amp power cords. TOWTA has agreed to unload a bunch of stuff and has promised not to re-load it again. 4 closets of clothes for her plus 3 out of 4 drawers, button collection, who knows how many pr of shoes, etc. Under bed storage was completely packed. We will definitely go thru the camper and lighten the load of both hers and my stuff as soon as I get the poles finished and the weather warms up.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #73

Golf Cart

Did you bring the mini golf cart back with you? Oh yes, have you been following the corvette rescue at Bowling Green? Very interesting to watch, admire the guys going down in the hole!!! Got some marbles>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We came back from FL grossly overloaded, 200+ lbs of alum tubing, 3 extra 30amp power cords. TOWTA has agreed to unload a bunch of stuff and has promised not to re-load it again. 4 closets of clothes for her plus 3 out of 4 drawers, button collection, who knows how many pr of shoes, etc. Under bed storage was completely packed. We will definitely go thru the camper and lighten the load of both hers and my stuff as soon as I get the poles finished and the weather warms up.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Did you bring the mini golf cart back with you? Oh yes, have you been following the corvette rescue at Bowling Green? Very interesting to watch, admire the guys going down in the hole!!! Got some marbles>>
No mini golf cart thank goodness and haven't been following the Corvette rescue.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #75
Commercial Member

Quote:

Curious. Are the 18" LT tires? Can you provide the full tire size including Load Range?
Does your tire Placard show the tires you got on the RV? It is suppose to by regulation.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #76

Tire Placard Decal

Matter of fact, the factory did not switch the decal on the coach before it was shipped for the 18" Wheel Option. They sent us the correct decal as the tire pressure was only 65# on the smaller tire and wheel combination. I will get that information for you, all I can say is, sure is a comforting feeling having the larger wheel and tire combination on the Crusader 270RET.
kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Curious. Are the 18" LT tires? Can you provide the full tire size including Load Range?
Does your tire Placard show the tires you got on the RV? It is suppose to by regulation.
1985 S-10 One Owner:

Tags
tire, tires