Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Quality of Tires?

During a campout this weekend, we got into a discussion with a fellow RVer - we have just upgraded to a lightweight 5er (from a 32' TT).

The discussions turned to tires and I was surprised to hear one of the RVers assert that stock tires on a RV were not really "quality" tires and you - at best - could only expect a year's use out of them before they needed replacement.

Our "old" TT tires had easily 3 years use (say @ 30,000 miles) on them before we had to replace the tires...thinking that I am going to have to replace my (Nitrogen Filled) new 5er tires after 10K miles or so is a bit distressing.

Advice from the community?
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
During a campout this weekend, we got into a discussion with a fellow RVer - we have just upgraded to a lightweight 5er (from a 32' TT).

The discussions turned to tires and I was surprised to hear one of the RVers assert that stock tires on a RV were not really "quality" tires and you - at best - could only expect a year's use out of them before they needed replacement.

Our "old" TT tires had easily 3 years use (say @ 30,000 miles) on them before we had to replace the tires...thinking that I am going to have to replace my (Nitrogen Filled) new 5er tires after 10K miles or so is a bit distressing.

Advice from the community?
You will be lucky to get a full year's use on them if you tow 10,000 miles a year. Voice of experience.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Always Learning

You'll get all sides of the coin on this one. Some people get many many miles and years on their stock tires. Others have had blow outs within a short amount of time.

I personally got about 4,500 miles out of my set of OEM tires (Akurets). I lost 1 to a nail and found a big tennis ball sized bubble on another. Since I had to replace 2, I went ahead and replaced all 4.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #4

Then, the natural follow-up question is.....

Recommendations on best replacement tire brands?

(Wondering if this is something that can be purchased at Sams/Costco?)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Always Learning

Personally, when I did research to decide on what to replace my tires with- it was either Goodyear Marathon or Maxxis m8008. I opted for the Maxxis, but would have been happy with either.

I ordered mine from discounttiredirect.com and took them 2 by 2 into a local tire shop for mounting (and should have had them balanced but got talked out of it).
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You will be lucky to get a full year's use on them if you tow 10,000 miles a year. Voice of experience.
OC....In your opinion, what is the leading cause to RV tire failure?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
OC....In your opinion, what is the leading cause to RV tire failure?
Haven't had any with GY Marathons, but IMO, the majority of the off brand tire failures are overloading, under-inflation and inferior tire construction/material.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #8

Major cause of tire failure seems to be the owner of the tires. Failure to check pressure. Failure to stay at or under speed rating (65 mph is max). Failure to get the rig weighed/over weight rig. Just some of the simple things for which to be aware.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Over-speed, over-loading, unbalanced loading (side-to-side, across axles), under-inflation, road hazards (the possibility is rarely discussed), all contribute to tire failure. If you don't have a TPMS, how do you know if the tire failure wasn't due to a road hazard?

I got 5 years and 30,000 miles out of my GY Marathons; made in China; did just fine.

This is not to say that there aren't occasions when there is a manufacturing defect. But, IMO, this is often blamed when there is another cause.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Over-speed, over-loading, unbalanced loading (side-to-side, across axles), under-inflation, road hazards (the possibility is rarely discussed), all contribute to tire failure...
In my one catastrophic event, none of the above apply. Pressure checked 20 miles prior, never curbed, 50 mph and no road hazard involved, the tire just disintegrated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Damage 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	42782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Damage 4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	42783  
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
In my one catastrophic event, none of the above apply. Pressure checked 20 miles prior, never curbed, 50 mph and no road hazard involved, the tire just disintegrated.
You selectively quoted his message and left out the part that manufacturing defects do, in fact, happen. You're one experience doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. I'm fairly certain I've read of other folks on here who have had the exact opposite experience- many happy years on their OEM tires. Neither proves anything in all cases.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet forums are a skewed view of the population and the majority of users go about their RV'ing lives happily in blissful ignorance that some have issues with the OEM tires.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You selectively quoted his message and left out the part that manufacturing defects do, in fact, happen. You're one experience doesn't mean it will happen to everyone. I'm fairly certain I've read of other folks on here who have had the exact opposite experience- many happy years on their OEM tires. Neither proves anything in all cases.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet forums are a skewed view of the population and the majority of users go about their RV'ing lives happily in blissful ignorance that some have issues with the OEM tires.
I believe it pointed out the fact it was a manufacturing defect. I challenge you to find a majority of folks getting a lot of miles on anything but major manufactured brands of tires.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #13

The unknown part is when the unit is being towed from the manufacturer to the dealer. Did the tires hit a lot of pot holes, did the driver strike a curb, and did the driver keep the speeds below 65mph? Also when the unit left the manufacture facility were the tires at the proper pressure? The main cause of tire failure is not keeping your tires covered when not being towed. The sun can and will dry out the tires and cause weather cracks.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
I believe it pointed out the fact it was a manufacturing defect. I challenge you to find a majority of folks getting a lot of miles on anything but major manufactured brands of tires.
It pointed out one case of a manufacturing defect but one doesn't make a trend. I think you're definitely over exaggerating to the point of fear mongering saying people are lucky to get a year out of OEM tires. As I said, I can go find the post where someone here got a good 30k miles out of his. If one makes a trend - then we can safely assume all OEM tires are fine.

As for finding many people who are content- people don't complain when things are good. There's just not much to talk about. Heck, I didn't post word one about my tires until I had issues (one man-made issue and one manufacturing defect).
Old 11-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

OP ask for advice, I gave mine based on my personal experiences.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #16

I just took my 2013 grey wolf 28bh tt in due to a defect tire. The warranty rep told me he is replacing all 5 tires with radials due to uneven wear and defects of the FR factory tires. He also said these tires tire begin to wear unevenly a after 1k miles but mine showed wear only after about 250. This problem began to surface with the grey wolf tt about 4 mos ago. FYI
Fatback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #17

Counting our blessings.......
I went out this morning to check my tire pressure as we are about to mosey on down the road in a couple of days. I discovered a bubble on one of the tires so I went to change the tire and put the spare on. When I got the bad tire off I discovered that there was also a bubble on the inside side wall. Wow, what luck to have found that. Now I decided to take another tire off and check that one. Low and behold, a nice big open gap. Another bad tire. That's it, now I am going to replace all 4 tires. When I took the other 2 off they too had bubbles and cracks.
How lucky can we be. All 4 tires having major defects all at the same time and we managed not to have a blow out.
Oh ya, those tires are the original tires that came on our 2013 Columbus. They have only been used for 14 months.
I just want to let other Columbus owners aware of this before someone gets hurt by a blowout.
Off to the tire dealer in the morning to buy 5 new tires. (replacing the spare too)
And I guess tomorrow afternoon we be used up by having to argue with the dealer and/or manufacture.
columbus2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #18

The original tires that came on my toy hauler were the same way. So bad I thought I had axle problems. But the tires were just junk. I now have maxxis m8008 and no wear problems now.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus2013 View Post
Counting our blessings.......
I went out this morning to check my tire pressure as we are about to mosey on down the road in a couple of days. I discovered a bubble on one of the tires so I went to change the tire and put the spare on. When I got the bad tire off I discovered that there was also a bubble on the inside side wall. Wow, what luck to have found that. Now I decided to take another tire off and check that one. Low and behold, a nice big open gap. Another bad tire. That's it, now I am going to replace all 4 tires. When I took the other 2 off they too had bubbles and cracks.
How lucky can we be. All 4 tires having major defects all at the same time and we managed not to have a blow out.
Oh ya, those tires are the original tires that came on our 2013 Columbus. They have only been used for 14 months.
I just want to let other Columbus owners aware of this before someone gets hurt by a blowout.
Off to the tire dealer in the morning to buy 5 new tires. (replacing the spare too)
And I guess tomorrow afternoon we be used up by having to argue with the dealer and/or manufacture.

So what brand?
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #20

Akuret
235/R16
columbus2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires