Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

question about prep for vacation

ok here goes guys we are leaving for the beach next Saturday for a week long stay and I am mr over packer and over think everything I don't want to forget anything but here is the kicker we have revival all next week which will kill my prep days will it cost me a fortune to turn on ac and fridge for a week and pack all my stuff a week in advance ???? aside from perishable foods I do realize those gotta wait

Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Explorer

So my response is twofold: first I think we spend a ton of money on our tv, camper, everything that goes into them, maintenance and each trip cost a chunk of change so maybe the $30 for the extra power is worth it in the big picture. Some times its okay to spend extra money to have fun, don’t tell my wife I said that.
And: About 50% of the time I pack my fridge 1hour before leaving and only turn camper fridge on then, it seems to work fine. The one item I don’t do are ice trays because they will spill in travel so I pack an extra bag of ice to get me started. Everything I pack comes out of the house fridge or freezer and it’s always good and cold or still well frozen when we get there.
The big part is the prep, be sure and make a list of items so you don’t forget anything. Most of the times I will put all items I plan to take on one shelve of the house freezer and house fridge so it’s easy to grab and go.
A big tip: the fuller you can pack your fridge and freezer the easier it will be to keep cold.On short trips I just fill with extras I can unpack later like bag/blocks of ice.
And yes, I run down the road with my fridge on propane.
Don’t know why you need the A/C but if it’s important, it is.
Does this help
Good luck
John

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkync1 View Post
ok here goes guys we are leaving for the beach next Saturday for a week long stay and I am mr over packer and over think everything I don't want to forget anything but here is the kicker we have revival all next week which will kill my prep days will it cost me a fortune to turn on ac and fridge for a week and pack all my stuff a week in advance ???? aside from perishable foods I do realize those gotta wait
Remember, there will always be a Wal-Mart either along your route or close to where yo are camping. If it is a beach, you KNOW there will be a Wally World close by to sell flip-flops, beach towels, suntan lotion, and everything and anything else you could possibly need...even if you DON'T KNOW you need it.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #4

Take what you have to have. There is a WM just about anywhere you go if not there is a grocery store of some sort. Buy your food and drinks when you get there. That much weight you will save in towing.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #5

You beat me to it CaptMike!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

I would leave the A/C off and just run the fridge. There will not be a large expense if only running the fridge. Plus with the trailer plugged in you will have a fully charged battery. If you could pack the trailer before the busy week you will be able to remember everything you want packed and not rushing around the day before.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

all good advice thanks guys im not total newbie so I know pretty much whats going and what we keep in there year round the ac issue was to keep what foods I will be taking down with me ok from the 90 degree temps we are having from ruining I wont keep it 70 but would keep about 75 or so if its not gonna make power bill shoot out the roof or am I once again overthinking
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

I think you need to make a list, check it twice and then thrice, stop worrying and go have fun.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #9

I agree with the wallyworld shopping trip when u arrive at your destination. Actually it would serve 2 purpose. 1.less weight 2 dw can stay busy making a huge list while riding down the road. Lol. I do not like using any propane device going down the road.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #10

Sparkync1 there you go taking all the fun out of it. Planing the trip,packing ahead of time. Just wing it less stress. When you get things loaded up 1 hour before you pull out. You will have plenty of time to worry if you have what you need driving to you beach camp site. Sound like you have a great handle on things. Have a safe trip and let us know how things went, and at WM. I didn't think Mayberry got that hot this soon.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat