Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Question Question on transporting bicycles

I didn't know where else on the forum to ask this question. After reading all the posts on transporting bicycles and also reading all the mishaps I have decided to carry them inside my 5ver. So my question is for anyone who does this is: How do you secure them?

Thanks in Advance

Rick
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Always Learning

Right now, I'm only carrying one, so it's easy - we lower the dinette, throw a "Neat Sheet" on top and place the bike on there. Also on there is the stroller and a couple of other baby-like things.

At some point, we'll jump up to carrying 4 bikes. I'm not sure what my plan is for then. (Which, seemingly, my response is completely unhelpful to your request.)

I do like the idea of a hitch mount on the king pin box and carrying them there.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
H2oski

RickV check out this link. Several options.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-20212-3.html

My wife and I are originally from Live Oak.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

When we carry in our trailer, three bikes are wedged between the couch and table and two between a bed and a cargo container. Old sheets cover the chains.

I have seen others devise a better solution, which is to buy a fork trap mount for each bike and screw the mount to a 2x4 that can be wedged into an aisle. These mounts secure the bike by the front fork using a quick release skewer. You still need to find a secure position for the front wheels that you have taken off, but its not much of a problem.

Have you looked into the various roof-mounted racks that can work with pickup roofs? I did this with my old Ford F-150 and carried four bikes using a Yakima rooftop bike mount (and four in the bed, as well). The roof rack required the Q-tower system for the bars and a fork-style roof rack bike mount. The reach to the rooftop rack is a literal stretch, but it worked well.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

front bumper hitch ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #6

I have looked at all of the outside solutions the only one that seemed worry free was the pin box mount but, I have a sidewinder hitch and so I can't use that idea. I think Herk quit using his front bumper mount idea due to it damaging his hood and messing with his mind while driving. When I have my slide closed there is enough room to put 2 bikes end to end in the living room/kitchen area. On the slide there is a sofa and a regular type dining room table with 4 chairs instead of a collapsible dinette. Across from the sofa are 2 swivel chairs I am just looking for some way to make sure that the table, sofa and chairs don't get messed up from shifting bikes.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Berkshire 390QS

Guessed we lucked out, our two bikes fit nicely in the basement.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

We have a front receiver hitch with a bike rack mounted there. Used an offset-down attachment to get the bikes down out of direct view. Works very well and you can see them in case any problems accure. Kayaks mounted on the roof. Still room to pull the 5er. Only if I have to turn really tight is it a concern with the kayaks, I just don't turn tight turns. But I degress, bike rack on front works great.
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Always Learning

I knew my wide would ever go for a font mounted bike rack but had it confirmed in Florida when we saw a truck with them up there. I'm pretty sure she said, "Oh hell no!"
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #10

I made a bike rack for my old camper out of a couple boards and some conduit. Also two of the fittings you use to mount pipe to the wall for hand rails and a couple short pipe nipples. I mounted the pipe fittings to the boards and screwed in the nipples then took a conduit bender most electricians have one. and bent it so it was about 3-31/2' tall. Then put the conduit into the pipe nipples. I drilled holes through the nipples with the conduit in them so I could put a clevis pin in them to hold them together. I also took some of the foam pipe wrap and taped it around the the conduit to protect the bikes paint. When on the road I strap them to the rack. On my old Jayco the bunks folded up and I mounted tie down rings in the corners so they wouldn't move. When I had my pop up I mounted the frame onto two 2x4's that went across and sat on both sides of the frame and covered the ends with carpet to protect the campers finish.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #11

I made a pin box mount for mine and bought a rack from Loading Ramps, Hauling, Transport, & Skateboard Ramp Superstore - Discount Ramps.com Here are the pics. I did a write up on it as well.

Have less than $50 in mount and rack was around $149 I believe. With a Sidewinder, you make a 'clamp' with bolts to secure a mount around your flat piece instead of drilling through it. Then use a 'hanging' bike rack and use straps to secure them to the upright post of the rack so they will clear the rear of your truck. A few on here and rv.net have done them with short beds. Just a little ingenuity and you can do it.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I have looked at all of the outside solutions the only one that seemed worry free was the pin box mount but, I have a sidewinder hitch and so I can't use that idea. I think Herk quit using his front bumper mount idea due to it damaging his hood and messing with his mind while driving. When I have my slide closed there is enough room to put 2 bikes end to end in the living room/kitchen area. On the slide there is a sofa and a regular type dining room table with 4 chairs instead of a collapsible dinette. Across from the sofa are 2 swivel chairs I am just looking for some way to make sure that the table, sofa and chairs don't get messed up from shifting bikes.
I quit taking the bikes because my DW could no longer bend her right knee. She has had a knee replacement in October but is in no way ready for bike riding.

We are going to FL this year, but are staying at MacDill and everything there is close to the FAMCAMP is in walking distance OR it is so far away we would need to drive. If we had added Sigsbee Key FAMCAMP, one bike would have been placed inside the camper covered by a moving blanket or similar because the BX and Commissary is within biking distance and a bit farther than I care to walk carrying groceries.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I made a pin box mount for mine and bought a rack from Loading Ramps, Hauling, Transport, & Skateboard Ramp Superstore - Discount Ramps.com Here are the pics. I did a write up on it as well.

Have less than $50 in mount and rack was around $149 I believe. With a Sidewinder, you make a 'clamp' with bolts to secure a mount around your flat piece instead of drilling through it. Then use a 'hanging' bike rack and use straps to secure them to the upright post of the rack so they will clear the rear of your truck. A few on here and rv.net have done them with short beds. Just a little ingenuity and you can do it.
That looks like a great solution!
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #14

I really do not like having my bikes up in the wind and rock/sand storm of the full headwind. Mounted to the 5er or front of the truck, either way, they get the full brunt of the paint being sandblasted from the frames. Also, the running gear, chains, cables, and tires do last too long bearing the constant onslaught. I have seen people mount their bikes on the back of the rig but only if you have a "smooth coat" TT. Check out SeaSucker | Vacuum Mounting Systems Not cheap but cool. Check out the shots of bike on a stock car at 180 mph.

Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote