Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Questions about sealants

Not sure if this is the right section to ask about DIY repairs, so let me know if there is a better section.

The RV my sister just bought (used) had a few luggage compartment hold open clips broken (plastic).

The RV dealer had replacements cheap and we bought a few packs.
I noticed there some sort of black sealant between the exterior walla and the clips body, it's held in with a few screws.

My question is 1: what is the stuff they use to create the seal.
2: do I need to replace it once I remove the clip or can I just screw the clip back on and the black stuff will still work as a seal?

also both her amber side lights have cracked lens, both halfs are there so I was going to remove the lens and use some 2part epoxy to fix the lens crack and also keep water out.
However after removing the screws (more on that in a min)
I noticed the lens cover was stuck, im not sure if it's been calked to eh side of the RV or to the base of the light fixture.. either way it's stuck pretty good im sure I can take a razor knife and seperate it the question is once I do when I go to replace the lens is it common practice to reseal the outside? and if so with what?

I know the dealer said stay away from silicone calk.

I can get pictures if needed.

back the screw they look ancient, they're so rusty, would anyone happen to know what size screws, thread pitch, etc are used on the side amber lights? they're so deteriorated that some of the screws threads are just GONE! I'd like to replaced them and then seal the hole with something so they don't rust up like these did.
RollingBlunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

When you replace anything on the outside of the rv always try to use new caulking and new hardware. Get yourself a tube of Dicor Non-Leveling caulk and spread a bit on the rear of the new clips and reattach the new clips. Use some stainless steel screws and you'll never have a rust problem. Any caulk that comes out as an excess can be wiped off, and coat the screw with a bit of caulk before screwing it in. Never use silicon caulk...it dosen't last, is a b**** to remove, and leaves a residue that nothing will adhere to.
As far as the lenses, go to a rv supply web site, match the old ones up and try to get new. Glueing old ones is just a temp. fix, and new lenses are cheap.
You can use a heat gun or even a blow hair drier, low heat to soften old caulk and make it easier to remove the clips or lights. Or get a piece of fishing line or even dental floss and use it behind the fitting and use a "back and forth sawing motion" to remove the fitting.
grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

x2,
Silicone inside and Dicor outside - always.
For tips and tricks on maintaining an RV, here is a good YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RVgeeks
https://www.youtube.com/user/rved101

that'll keep you busy for a while
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys I'll definitely get some of that calking.

The dealer had replacement fixtures but not "just" the lens, But I will definitely do a google search and see if I can hunt them down.

would anyone happen to know what kind was on a 98 Georgetown m303?
We didn't realize it but it looks like 2 more of the amber lights are cracked in the front up top so I think you're right new lens and screws are the way to go.

Im trying to convince her to pony up for LED's and (almost) never have to worry about taking these covers off again.

There's so much to learn.

PS: is this the correct section to be asking questions? because I have lot of them and wasn't sure.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBlunder View Post
Thanks for the tips guys I'll definitely get some of that calking.

The dealer had replacement fixtures but not "just" the lens, But I will definitely do a google search and see if I can hunt them down.

would anyone happen to know what kind was on a 98 Georgetown m303?
We didn't realize it but it looks like 2 more of the amber lights are cracked in the front up top so I think you're right new lens and screws are the way to go.

Im trying to convince her to pony up for LED's and (almost) never have to worry about taking these covers off again.

There's so much to learn.

PS: is this the correct section to be asking questions? because I have lot of them and wasn't sure.
When going to places like NAPA it is possible they charge $5 for the whole assembly or $6 just for the lens, happened to me when I needed a new headlight for a truck. Speaking of NAPA, they might be able to fix you up when you show them a picture and give as many details as possible.

Reg. your question whether this is the right place to ask. You're getting answers so it must be
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #6

So updates.

Ended up buying some dicor chaulk, and also some buthyl tape.

The luggage door hooks was easy to replace, It looks like they used buthyl tape on them originally, it cleaned up fairly easy.. the tape seems to be easy to work with.. I really like that stuff.

Today I made a job of replacing the cracked lens on the marker.
Every single one of them had cracks.. some more then others but all of them had cracks, they are bargman lights.. apparently they're not very durable cause I actually cracked one of the new ones.. did not realize it till everything was said and done and it was getting dark, Have to check them all tomorrow.

The crack is small and on the bottom so I might leave it and see if it becomes a problem.

Some of the screws was ate up with rust.. the side market lights was the worse.. half the threads was just gone!

It turns out the original screws was a weird one.
Twin Threaded #8 x 1inch with a square drive.

Only place I could find 8x1 twin threaded screws was on European websites.
I ended up settling on making 8x1 oval head sheetmetal screws from homedepot work.
I went with stainless.. should last longer.

We also installed LED's, Hope fully this mean never having to replace them.. sans a broken lens.

Anyway the real reason im posting an update on this is the chalk.
First off let me say that i've never been very good at chalking.. it's something of an art form, But I've been able to get by in the past.

I used the non leveling dicor, I hate that stuff.
It does not remind me of any chaulk I've used before.. it's actually closer to an epoxy I'd say.
It's very stringy.. like hot glue, water seems to have no effect on it, you can not clean it off like most chalks, when this stuff touches something that's it, even when you try to remove it immediately, It even has a "glue" smell.

I chalked around 3 sides, leaving the bottom open (there is a foam gasket though)
My theory is like showers.. leave the bottom open so any trapped water can drain out.
Although they were chalked all the way around originally.

I also chalked the head of the screw.

It was a nightmare dealing with this stuff.. a few of the len's got some on them and it was impossible for me to get it all off.. im hoping once it's cures I can scrap or peal it off.. but I bet not.

Next time I have to do these Im going to either find a rubber sheet and make rubber gaskets and forgo chalk.. OR use butyl tape.